Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XPLORER 400 Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999 | 11:39 AM
|
Pro Rider

Im concidering a new 2 stroker 400cc Xplorer.How many trail miles can you go before you need to add oil injection oil to the quad. Stock tires come with 23'fronts and 25' rears.I'd like to know if I can safely go to 26' Mud Runners front and rear?How about maintainance on the 2 stroker?I will be leaving the motor stock.How many miles are you getting out of the stock motor before it needs rebuilding?Has your Xplorer been reliable?Thanks------BILL

Old 10-21-1999 | 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have an '00 Explorer 400. I add oil to the resivoir every time I fill the tank. It only requires a small amount when I do this. I feel a safe estimate would be about 3-4 tanks of gas per tank of oil. A tank of gas lasts me about 80 miles....I ride fairly hard and use low range quite a bit. So far it hasnt been an obstacle having the two stroke - and the performance has been good as well (fast!). The two strokes are definately not as economical as the four strokes.

------------------

Old 10-21-1999 | 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1998 polaris 300 4 x 4 I got it new this year. I have been through about 4 or 5 tanks of gas and have not added oil, Im about half full. I hear you shouldnt mix 2 stroke oil and want to use Silklene oil and not polaris oil because I heard it is better.

Old 10-21-1999 | 04:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just got back from two Dealerships.The first one did'nt have any Xplorer's in stock and informed me that the Xplorer was completely chain driven.Not beleiving him,I went to the second Dealership and they had one Explorer in stock.I quickly found out that the first Dealer was incorrect,the front end is indeed shaft driven.Im ok with that,but how about the adjustment on the rear?Is it difficult to adjust the chain?Second question?My brother sat on the Explorer,than I sat on it with him and the rear suspension seemed as though it was very close to bottoming out,the salesman responded,dont worry,just adjust the pre-load on the shock spring and everything will be fine.I hardly think he knows what what he's talking about.How does this quad handle with two riders?Will an aftermarket shock help or was the salesman telling me the truth about the pre-load?Also,the stock tires on the Xplorer are 25'' front and rear,so I dont think I'll have any problem with the 26' Mud-Runners.Thanks--------BILL

Old 10-21-1999 | 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Bill; The Explorer is likly one of the best buys out there. 36Hp in a 4x4!!! It is a real good hot rod. Its a very popular quad in our area in S.C. ,I service a few and none have ever had any major falures to date 2 of them are 96,s with over 4000 miles on one. These 2 are older front and rear chain driven machines. The older chain drives on the rear required frequent adjustments . The new concentrics hardly ever have to be adjusted and when you do the adjustment process is very simple. The oil question, I always said fill it with oil AT LEAST every 3 tanks of gas it has a oil level light that will come on long before it runs out if that helps your feelings any though I doubt you would ever let it get that low. As for the rear suspension , I believe it has the same Bilstien shock as the Magnums ,not sure about the spring rate but it should be close ,same rack capacities as the 500. The explores rear shock has plenty of adjustment on it one of the 96 400s I spoke of is ridden by a guy who weighs around 240 and his wife who is around 130 we set his preload in the highest setting and it is perfect for them no real problem bottoming when they ride. The explorer has a lot of bang for the buck Look it over good be sure and ride it the 2 stroke is a diffrent animal that that 500 4 stroke you were used to. This thing is revey and fast. You will be amazed how easy it is to pitch around using the power of the engine.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-21-1999 | 06:39 PM
|
Pro Rider

Kagey, others,thanks a million for your answers.Im definately going in the direction of the 4OO Xplorer.Yah,Im very familier with the differance that the 2 strokers make in power.Im a little tired of the weight of the Sportsman.697lbs on the Sportsman compared to 588 on the Xplorer.And my Sportsman is actually heavier than that with gas, plow, and Mud Runners.I got into a situation the other day while hill chimbing in some extreme terrain where the weight could of become a real factor if I was,nt so strong.[42 yrs old,bench press 360lbs]Not bad for an ole fart,but I been working out since 15yrs old.I was at the top in a TIGHT narrow curved down hill decend,when upon turning on the downside curved part of the hill,I had to LIFT the back end of the Sportsman to the left side,my right rear fender had a 6 inch tree overhanging it from the plastic side,preventing me from going down hill until the quad was moved to the left about 6 inches or so.You had to be there to understand what im talking about.I had NO right being where I was,since there was no one there to help me.It was a big struggle to lift the rear end of the Sportsman by myself on such a dis-figured hill.Im very pleased that the Xplorer can go that far on a tank of injection oil,and even happier to hear that the rear chain is no big deal.I think my mind is made on the Xplorer.I think we [Lawyer and I] getting close to settling the lawsuit I have against the dealership on the Sportsman.I hope soon to be posting about the Xplorer.-----BILL

Old 10-21-1999 | 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, the chain is really easy to adjust and with the concentric drive you won't have to adjust the chain very often. I have been in a LOT of mud and water on my Scrambler, and the chain/sprockets doing fine. The Xplorer would do even better because the taller tires keep it out of the mud as much.

Old 10-21-1999 | 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bill
I have a 98 400 Xploper and I love it. It has a ton of power, it is great in the mud, and its fast. I have put mine through hell for 740 miles and I havent had the first problem. Dont worry about the oil, it will go a looooong way before you have to add oil. You could easly go 300+ miles on a tank of oil and probley farther. The chain is a snap to adjust but on a 99 or 2000 model you shouldnt have to worry about many chain adjustments with the concentric chain drive. If I can offer 2 words of advise it would be "GET ONE!!!". You wont be sorry.
Andy G 98 Xplorer 400...with Bearclaws

Old 10-21-1999 | 08:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

Andy,Quad man,Thanks,my mind is made.As soon as my suit is settled,Im Xplorer bound.Actually,to tell you the truth,I cant wait to get this quad.I've heard so much about the maintance of two strokers that I was somewhat aprehensive at first.I liked the 5.25 gal tank that comes with the Sportsman,but 4 gallons aint bad either.And I had no idea this quad could of went as far as it does on the oil.Can you guys really swing the rear end around pretty good in 2wd?How about a clutch kit?Is it recommended?Does it make THAT much of a differance on this model?Im leaving the engine stock.[I THINK]Thanks to all-------BILL

Old 10-21-1999 | 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, If you like to powerslide you will love the explorer it can really break the rear end lose almost at will. I don,t own one but must admit I ride my buddy Micheals a lot , He likes to ride my 500 so its not to hard to get the 400 out of him for a few miles. Another thing I thought I might mention The 2 stroke is a little more sensitive to things like tempature and humidity changes you will notice more of a change in the sound that the engine makes than anything else no real dramatic effect on the power output but I will tell you that 2 stroke really loves cool weather and low humidity it will feel like its got more power under those conditions and run a little sweeter. AS for the oil run the Synthetic Polaris Gold Oil I used it in my 300 and it does,nt smoke hardly any .

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Quick Reply: XPLORER 400 Questions?