Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 with weird driving behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 with weird driving behavior

Hello all,

I could use some help here and where to start diagnosing the issue my Polaris seems to have. I will do my best to describe the issues I hear and feel when trying to drive it.

First, when the UTV is moving, it sounds like a 4X4 with huge mud tires, it sounds like it has a big growl noise. But, the tires are almost worn down so the sounds is NOT coming from the treads, even though it sounds like it.

Second, I noticed on Sunday, when I try to give it gas, it feels like it does not want to go forward, as if there is some resistance. It kind of rocks up, then when I lay off the throttle, it immediately dips down.

I tried driving it on 4X2, 4X4, etc and nothing seems to change regarding the sound and the feeling.

Any ideas on where to start diagnosing or what else I can check and report back on to help see what the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I just did a quick test. I have the UTV up on jack stands, and started it. Put it into gear and gave it some throttle and I dont hear the noise (as much) or at all. I did cycle thru the 4X2, 4X4 selections, all work. I will do some more testing tomorrow, but any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have the adc function on your machine? Active decent control. It sounds to me like the adc is engaging. It can be disabled rather easily, but I'll have to look at a manual tomorrow ti tell you how to do it.

Have you changed tires? Like changing 2 only, 2 rear, but not fronts at the same time, or vice versa??

Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hi 94 and thank you for your reply. You might be correct, but I don’t know how to activate or deactivate the ADC. I never need to use it, we ride in Florida, not too many hills around here. Any insight on how to engage or disengage would be great. Actually, now that I think about it, isn’t ADC activated by a 4x4 ADC setting on the mode switch?

Regarding tires, no changes. All four need to be changed but nothing has been altered on the tires.

Thanks!!

Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure of the years, but some awd machines have the adc function with a 2 position switch on the handlebar. 2wd, and 4wd. Others like my 16 850, have a 3 position switch, 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd plus adc.

I have seen some of the 2 position switch, 4wd with adc, engage with it in 2 or 4wd. It's easy diagnostics, but I need to look at a wiring diagram to tell you how to do it. I'll look tomorrow and reply back.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Also,

if you live in flatland, like I do, adc is almost useless. Now elk hunting in the mountains, it can be cool. Personal opinion, not needed, ever, but fun to play with at times.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 94harley
Not sure of the years, but some awd machines have the adc function with a 2 position switch on the handlebar. 2wd, and 4wd. Others like my 16 850, have a 3 position switch, 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd plus adc.

I have seen some of the 2 position switch, 4wd with adc, engage with it in 2 or 4wd. It's easy diagnostics, but I need to look at a wiring diagram to tell you how to do it. I'll look tomorrow and reply back.
Thanks Harley! Here is a pic of the handbar switch, it looks like it is similar to your 16 850, where there is 4X2, 4x4 and 4X4 ADC. Let me know what you find on the wiring diagram. Today, I will drop it from the jack stands and take it for a drive and listen to see if it is still engaged.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV
Thanks Harley! Here is a pic of the handbar switch, it looks like it is similar to your 16 850, where there is 4X2, 4x4 and 4X4 ADC. Let me know what you find on the wiring diagram. Today, I will drop it from the jack stands and take it for a drive and listen to see if it is still engaged.

That is what mine looks like yes. Some other ADC models machines only had a 2 position switch.
Anyway according to the wiring diagram, on the front gearcase, there should be a 4 wire plug coming out of it. Remove the Brown/white and the grey wire from the gearcase connector and go test drive it and see if the problem goes away.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

There is a possibility that there is damage to a component in the adc portion of the gearcase too, so removing the wiring may, or may not, take care of it. You may have to disassemble the gearcase, but dont do that yet.

We had to tear into a gearcase a few months back to get the problem to stop. The customer didnt want the ADC function, so we took components out so it cannot ever go into adc(he had the 2 position switch) Looking back at it now, honestly I THINK if he would have replaced all 4 tires at the same time(not just the rear tires, like he had changed already) the problem may have gone away. My thoughts is the difference in tire diameters made the adc to engage when it shouldn't be. Cant verify this would have fixed it, just a thought of mine.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

Hi guys, bringing back this thread because I have not had time to really tear into the ATV to see what's going on. However, I did get it out over Christmas and I wanted to share some additional information. I really dont know where to start with diagnosing this issue, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction based on this new information.

First, everyone once in a while, the engine light comes on, and the display says N CHK ENGINE. N stand for neutral, I assume. But, how do I diagnose the error that is tripping the check engine light? Is there a device, etc? As mentioned, it only comes on every once in a while when I start it, but if I shut it off, then restart, the light goes away.

Second, the noise that I mentioned in the previous threads. It sounds like a truck, driving down the street with mud tires on it. Like a roar, but my tires are almost bald, so I would think its not coming from the tires. Secondly, the noise "appears" to be coming from the rear clutch cover area. I say appears, because it is hard to truly say where the noise is coming from when riding it. Any tips?

Maybe bearings are going out? Worn clutch? I just dont know much about the internal engine/clutch/drive train of this ATV but would love to learn and fix it myself.

Any help would be GREAT!!! Thanks!