Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winter storage and warranty questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage and warranty questions

I bought a new 570 Sportsman this spring, and have a couple of questions regarding my warranty obligations and winter storage.
  1. Since I live in the city, and only trailer my 570 north in the summer to ride, I was unable to hit 25 hours (it's at 23.8 hours) this year for the break-in mileage before storing it for the winter. I have read I should change the oil before winter storage, should I just change the oil myself and keep the receipt, or take it to the dealer for an early 25 hour inspection and have them change the oil?
  2. Am I obligated to have the dealer do these inspections listed in the manual to keep my extended warranty active, or can I do them myself, keep notes and receipts, and not void the warranty?
  3. I bought a battery tender junior. I'm sure this will keep my battery charged through the winter in an unheated Michigan garage. Is it better to remove the battery and keep it maintained in the house? Would this affect the 570’s computer system or memory if I remove the battery for 6 months?
  4. I was planning to park on plywood in my garage to keep the tires off the concrete, would it be better to just jack the 570 off the ground which would also benefit the suspension?
  5. Any other winter storage suggestions?
Thanks from Michigan.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. it will not hurt your bike to just sit through the winter with a full tank of fuel ( helps prevent condensation from building in the tank) and 360 stabilizer (it's the brand I use with good luck ) in the tank running the bike a few minutes to help run through the carb/efi system. leaving the battery in w/a tender will also not hurt anything. as far as the extended warranty, most likely you will need them to do the first service(depends on the dealer I have found) to not loose it. but call your dealer to make sure if your worried. you do not have to change the oil before the winter time.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
welcome to the forum. it will not hurt your bike to just sit through the winter with a full tank of fuel ( helps prevent condensation from building in the tank) and 360 stabilizer (it's the brand I use with good luck ) in the tank running the bike a few minutes to help run through the carb/efi system. leaving the battery in w/a tender will also not hurt anything. as far as the extended warranty, most likely you will need them to do the first service(depends on the dealer I have found) to not loose it. but call your dealer to make sure if your worried. you do not have to change the oil before the winter time.
I agree with all of this. I've had people disagree with some of it, but to me this is all correct.

One thing I will add though is from my understanding, NO dealer can force you to bring it in to them for service or repair. Safety recalls, probably, but not service.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. Will there be a problem with the machines memory if the battery is removed for the winter?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Michmeyer
Thanks for the replies. Will there be a problem with the machines memory if the battery is removed for the winter?
I've never seen an issue. We dont see a lot of the newer stuff like yours, but the older ones didn't didn'that issue.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been buying the regular STA-BIL instead of the 360, and double dosing my ATV and lawnmower every winter with it and haven't had any trouble. I would rather use too much than too little and I don't think extra STA-BIL will hurt anything. But the last few years I've been using STA-BIL and Sea Foam Motor Treatment together. Either way I add the fuel stabilizer, top off with the freshest gas I have, and run the engine for 5 minutes, or until I get off my butt and go shut it off, so it may be longer. And I never put Sea Foam in my oil, just the gas, so I can't tell you what it does in your oil. If I'm not using my ATV for plowing snow, I need to go out and run the engine once a month to keep the battery charged. My ATV is parked in the driveway all year. I don't have a garage and the only way I could keep it on a battery tender would be by running an extension cord out the kitchen window.

ETA: " Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL® brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years. However, any gasoline stored for more than 12 months will tend to lose volatility (ignitability), which could lead to hard starting or no start conditions after this long storage period. NO additive, STA-BIL® brand included, will prevent volatility loss in fuel. To reduce fuel volatility loss during storage, we recommend filling your tank at least 95% full with fresh fuel and STA-BIL® brand, and store in cool conditions away from direct sunlight if possible."

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...60-protection/

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...el-stabilizer/

https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

Old 11-08-2018, 03:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Michmeyer

I bought a battery tender junior. I'm sure this will keep my battery charged through the winter in an unheated Michigan garage. Is it better to remove the battery and keep it maintained in the house? Would this affect the 570’s computer system or memory if I remove the battery for 6 months?Thanks from Michigan.
Just read the manual. Polaris suggests removing the battery from the machine if stored and not used for 3 months or longer, so there is no concern about the memory being lost.