Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to me 2004 Predator 90 - things to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 2004 Predator 90 - things to do?

Hi all,

So I just picked up this 2004 Predator 90 for $600 for one of my boys. Guy I bought it from has said it has sat in the garage for many years, his kids are now grown, so it it needs a good going through. I figure i need to scrub the carb and flush both the gas and oil tank good.
Here are some basic parts I think to start with:
float bowl gasket - I never have luck being able to reuse these....
new plug - NGK-BPR7HS
I need a new cooling fan duct and gasket - existing has split
air cleaner and seal

As for 2 stroke oil - what is recommended? Something like this:
Amazon Amazon
- or do I need the VES version?
Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid for the crankcase
Anything else from a maintenance perspective?

Also - since this a 2004, there are no lights. Can I buy the lights for a 2005-06 and put them in?

Thanks!
Joe

Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcjguy
Hi all,

So I just picked up this 2004 Predator 90 for $600 for one of my boys. Guy I bought it from has said it has sat in the garage for many years, his kids are now grown, so it it needs a good going through. I figure i need to scrub the carb and flush both the gas and oil tank good.
Here are some basic parts I think to start with:
float bowl gasket - I never have luck being able to reuse these....
new plug - NGK-BPR7HS
I need a new cooling fan duct and gasket - existing has split
air cleaner and seal

As for 2 stroke oil - what is recommended? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-28750.../dp/B000M6Y1T8 - or do I need the VES version?
Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid for the crankcase
Anything else from a maintenance perspective?

Also - since this a 2004, there are no lights. Can I buy the lights for a 2005-06 and put them in?

Thanks!
Joe
Float bowl gasket is an o-ring, we reuse, but new is never a bad idea.
The oil you listed from amazon will work fine.
Polaris AGL is a transmission oil, not a crankcase oil(although im guessing you meant trans) Also, the tech manual states to use "polaris angle drive fluid" for the gearcase which in my opinion is nothing more than a 80-90 weight gear oil. Book says 10 oz.
Ive never personally doen the light install you are talking about, but it appears they both use the same stator so in my opinion, if the stator can handle the lights on an 05, you should be fine on the 04. I dont know what you will run into with the wiring. Not sure if its plug and play. never done it.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After sitting for however many years you should probably rebuild the carb, not just clean it. Any good 2-stroke injector oil will be fine. A lot of people use Amsoil in their 2-strokes. I always thought Amsoil was on the expensive side but their full synthetic is better oil and costs less than the Polaris synthetic blend in that link. You can buy it by the quart, gallon, etc., up to a 275 gallon tote.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-injector-oil/