Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Friend gave me a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you! It's gonna be great, I think! The family is taking me out for brunch and dinner. I hope I have time to use the ATV!!

It's finished. All the work that was planned out for this summer is done.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"time to get the band back together." I see what you did there.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

A quick update:

This is coming from a person that has never had a ATV, so keep that in mind.

I have used the ATV now to get me and equipment up and down the hill in the back yard, clean up a tone of wood drops from the trees, pull very small stumps, and drag out logs and brush. Just being able to get up and down the hill without pain of walking it is amazing in itself.
I am pleasantly surprised by the power this has on the ground to be able to pull logs and stuff. It carries my trailer up and down the hill with ease. I can only imagine what a bigger engine unit would do. For being as old as it is and so neglected, it is amazing.

Taking it out to the wooded acreage I have, I cannot believe how much easier and nicer it is to inspect the land. I easily went places that was just too time consuming to walk into before. The kids think I should build a garage and keep an ATV there for them to go and have a blast whenever they want. A private on demand ATV offroad run.. I'm not that flushed with cash!!

One of the tires is leaking a bit, and I see that I should put tubes in all the tires to fix that issue. I think it needs new shocks in the front and probably the back, but that can wait till spring.
The three point hitch is all wired up and it works like a dream. I'll b ordering a dozer blade for it in December.

I found out that one of my dogs, a female Husky, is very happy jumping on top of the back rack for a (very) slow ride.. Who woulda thunk it?

All in all, It has been a wonderful experience having the ATV. I already can't imagine not having one. Wish I had got one years ago!

The following users liked this post:
ft4u (04-27-2024)
Old 05-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

Another update. The ECM electronic controller died last January. Unobtainium on the open market. However, I found that this ATV had a recall (due to fire) on the ECM back in 2007. I checked and It was on the recall list and Polaris is STILL honoring it. Talked to the local dealer and Polaris had the recall kit in stock in a warehouse in California.
So Polaris replaced the ECM in January and it worked great!

Now THAT is customer service!!! Polaris has my vote. If I ever have to buy another, Polaris will be the first I look at.

I also finally replaced the tires, and ended up replacing the Kill/light switch due to corrosion inside. It would cut out at the worst times.