Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me why my 99' Mag500 dosen't use all 4 wheels in engine braking when I am going down a real steep hill. Even when i'm in 4wheel drive? It gets really annoying when my rear wheel are almost stopped and my front ones don't help at all. I would apprecitae some input, thanks.

Derek

Old 11-03-1999, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Quiet simply, The 4 wheel drive system on our Quads works by sensing rear wheel spin. In a downhill situation the rear wheels would definatly not by losing traction enough to cause the 4wheel drive to engage thus no EBS. I guess this is one drawback of the Polaris system of 4wheel drive but I guess we have to pay a price for performance.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 11-04-1999, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

yeah he is right. I also think you should look into a Honda probably a 450 foreman. And for the man who replied earlier you pay price for crap.

Old 11-04-1999, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Try pushing the overide button going down the hill and see if the fronts kick in..I think they will..

Old 11-04-1999, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

D. Page,

I guess that crap is what pulls the Honda 4 wheel drives out of the mud bogs.

I guess that crap is the same crap which leaves a Honda Foreman in the dust on trail or road.

I love Hondas. I also admire the technology which Polaris uses in their ATV's.

And yes, I believe that the majority of Polaris owners are extremely pleased with their On Demand All Wheel Drive system. In this situation, it doesn't work as well as a Foreman. In the same argument, the Foreman 3 wheel drive system doesn't do as well in mud bogs as the 4 wheel drive system on the Polaris.

Yup. Must be crap.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 11-04-1999, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

D PAGE;bet the other honda owners are really proud of you, with an intelligent reply like that,you really
put them in a bad light.
COB

Old 11-05-1999, 12:59 PM
Range Rover

Well, that overide thing didn't work so.....Thanks for the help anyway guys!And as for the honda lover, you are pretty cocky about a machine which compared to my magnum has half the ground clearange, half the rack capacity, less towing capacity, less hitch capacity, a crappy cooling system, less horsepower, lass torque, less speed, less acceleration, worse brakes, a suspension system and a 4 wheel drive system that cringes at the sight of a polaris model, and frankly is stripped down for how much they cost. why does the foreman get its but kicked in every shoot out they are in in dirtwheels magazine? For example: Kodiak, kaw 400, suzuki 500, etc. They can't even compare to the magnum so they never have shoot outs! Even the "might grizzly" can't beat the magnum. Do some research and then try arguing the facts again. The only hope I see for Honda I see is the new Rubicon, and that still has there crappy 4 wheel drive system. Good luck with your 4 wheeler, I think you mad the worst choice of your life by buying it though.

------------------

Old 11-05-1999, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

What you need to do is give it alittle gas to keep the idle up and then the back tires won't lock up plus stay on your brakes. If you want a big imrpovement get the split brakes and then you could use more front brakes going down the hills. I tried everything to get awd going downhill and nothing worked so just try giving it a small amount of gas and see how that works.

I hope this helps,

Steve

Old 11-05-1999, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

MAG;ya done good sent him home packin.I just thought it was kind of stupid to come back with an answer like that when you only wanted some help.Really made him look like the south end of a north bound horse!!!!
Later COB
P.S. the gas thing will take care of your problem.

Old 11-07-1999, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I happen to think EBS sucks! In respect for you guys in the mountains, it is necessary. After taking off the EBS clutches and converting back to a standard clutching arrangement, I have found that the engine braking with a roller clutch is very good. Only below 5 mph do you free-wheel. In Pennsylvania it's a great setup that gets rid of the dreaded EBS drag on your motor and "all" of the hot belt problems associated with EBS.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>