Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris sportsman 500 efi running rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris sportsman 500 efi running rough

Need help from someone who knows more than me!
my 2008 sportman 500 efi has started running really rough all of a sudden. On initial startup it runs perfect, idling at around 1170rpm. As soon as I begin driving however, it’ll reach higher rpm of 3-4000+ where it will suddenly lose power altogether and bog down and backfire. Then when at a standstill at idle it idles much higher at about 2300rpm so I need to hold the brake to stop it moving and force it into neutral/park. I have removed the throttle body and cleaned the t map sensor and also the throttle body itself. Spark is fine, fuel is clean and air filter is as new. Also, the check engine sign flashes when engine is on but disappears when engine is turned off and then back on again. At full throttle, engine pulls well until it suddenly loses power again. I have also checked to see if any error codes are present but there don’t appear to be any since the check engine warning disappears when key is in on position with engine not running. Have checked all battery connections and all are tight and clean and voltage is at 12.8 and around 13.5-14V when engine is on. Any help would be great!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update:

Originally Posted by tom penty
Need help from someone who knows more than me!
my 2008 sportman 500 efi has started running really rough all of a sudden. On initial startup it runs perfect, idling at around 1170rpm. As soon as I begin driving however, it’ll reach higher rpm of 3-4000+ where it will suddenly lose power altogether and bog down and backfire. Then when at a standstill at idle it idles much higher at about 2300rpm so I need to hold the brake to stop it moving and force it into neutral/park. I have removed the throttle body and cleaned the t map sensor and also the throttle body itself. Spark is fine, fuel is clean and air filter is as new. Also, the check engine sign flashes when engine is on but disappears when engine is turned off and then back on again. At full throttle, engine pulls well until it suddenly loses power again. I have also checked to see if any error codes are present but there don’t appear to be any since the check engine warning disappears when key is in on position with engine not running. Have checked all battery connections and all are tight and clean and voltage is at 12.8 and around 13.5-14V when engine is on. Any help would be great!
update…
spent a load of time ruling out the various sensors and wires by process of elimination. Turned out not to be the t map sensor located on the top underneath the fuel tank. In my case, the problem was with the throttle position sensor which turns as the throttle valve opens and closes inside the throttle body. The screws holding it had come loose and it had lost its position as it has room to be adjusted as the bolt holes are oval shaped rather than circular. Also, two of the three wires to it were fraying somewhat which I assume is due to rubbing together over the 2500 or so hours the machine has done. Having repaired the wires and adjusting the sensor until the bike ran correctly, the problem was solved. Idling perfectly, has all its power back and no more backfiring or bogging down.

hopefully this will help someone get their bike running right without having to spend a load of money.