Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sank fourwheeler for three days!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sank fourwheeler for three days!!!

First off Hi! I’m new here and I’m looking for some insight on whether or not my 2016 Polaris Scrambler 850 HO is toast or if you all think it’s salvageable.

Sooo the story is that me and a buddy were riding a trail along side a river and out of no where I hit a stump that some weeds had grown around and you couldn’t visibly see and next thing I know me and the fourwheeler go flying down a 10’ embankment. Luckily I got by with a few scratches and am still able to tell the story. The fourwheeler itself I wasn’t able to recover till 3 days later. Mind you the fourwheeler was three foot under water that whole amount of time. Is it still recoverable or is it junk? Due to shock I didn’t think of turning the atv off and it eventually just died as it was in the water. I haven’t tried to start it since the accident. I’ve began drying it and draining all the fluids, motor oil, transmission oil, rear and front diff, and gas. I’ve taken the air box off and thoroughly cleaned it and I’ve got diesel setting in the motor to hopefully help with any moisture. Should I do coolant and drain brake fluid? Will the electronics even work? Is all this hopeless 😩

Old 07-11-2021, 02:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you may want to have the engine soaking in oil as i would be worried about the crank bearing for sure. every fluid should be drained and replaced for sure. i would take off the clutch cover and make sure there is no sediment or other stuff in there and you use the clutch to turn the engine over by hand once you take the spark plug out. maybe look into marvelous mystery oil to pour into the engine spark plug to coat everything. i have know this to help with reseating rings and maybe preserve the bearings. electronics is a crap shoot for sure. on water soaking. dielectric grease is good for the connections. good luck and you were right not to try to start it. by the way if you have insurance on it, you might want to look into if they would total it or not be fore you try to run it. alot of bike that go under water always end up burning oil after.