Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Magnum 325 carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023 | 04:11 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 Magnum 325 carb issue

New to posting here and have come to the end of my rope. Long story short, bought 2001 Magnum 325 4x4 for the kids to beat up for $400. It caught on fire before I bought it and I figured needle valve was stuck. Come to find it was a Chinese carb. Bought what I believed to be an original carb on ebay and bought an All ***** carb kit. Carb was medically cleaned and reassembled. Familiar with the process as I did all 4 carbs on my 600 Ninja. Mix screw was set at 2 turns out per manual. Started up and ran for a minute or 2 then sputtered and died. Gas was spitting out of the filter side of carb and had to let it sit before it started again. Took it apart checked that needle valve was seating and also pressure tested it at 5-8 psi. Checked ok. Also bent the tab on float to lower it. Now at about 15mm. Exhaust smelled VERY rich. Put back on and same issue. Getting too much fuel but not leaking out of bowl drain. I can make it run ok using the petcock to limit the fuel going in and it will idle and rev. It is also backfiring when revved up and letting off. All the jets are stock size that came in kit, 145 main and 50 pilot. The carb arrived with a 120 main and 42? pilot. It was running with the Chinese carb but leaked A TON of fuel out of the over flow. Also installed a new spark plug, new fuel lines and filter, compression was 120, tank was flushed and fresh gas put in, changed the oil, and this was all with the airbox completely off. Ready to sell this to get my $650 back but would rather make it work. Carb was opened twice yesterday after going through the pain of getting it off twice. Makes no sense that the needle valve seals but it's getting too much fuel. It's not an air issue because there is nothing attached to that side. Only things I can think of is maybe the fuel pump was part of the Chinese "carb kit" and produces too much pressure or possibly a valve adjustment is needed. Not sure why they felt the need to put a pump on these in the first place. And if I put the 120/42 jets in it will use less fuel which would probably make the situation worse, Sorry this was long but I wanted to note everything I have done. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thanks!!