Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i have heard the scrambler puts out 38+HP. that is the same as the raptor. so all polaris needs to do is find a lighter frame for the engine and they have a fast sport quad. ANOTHER idea would be to put an auto tranny in their scrambler like honda has in the rubicon. it would be like having a gear'd machine but you would not have to shift. there would be no lag in acceleration waiting for the belt to catch. they would have one fast quad. and while there at it they could add another 100 cc's and have a real machine. sounds like a good idea to me. what do you think?

Old 05-11-2001, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yamahagye,

There would be no way in the world that the Polaris 500 could keep up with the Raptor, even with a lighter frame. The simple fact of the matter is Polaris takes it's horsepower readings from the crankshaft. Yamaha takes it's horsepower readings from the rear wheels (a better and more realistic approach). Although they might make similar looking horsepower figures, the Polaris loses nearly 25% of that horsepower in the belts and gears. In reality it only makes about 28 horsepower at the rear wheels. Similar to the 400EX. If you put a lighter frame on it it would keep up with a 400EX, but the Raptor would bury it.

Second, I hope that Polaris NEVER goes to the same type of transmission that the Rubicon has. If the transmission breaks, you'd have to send it back to the FACTORY, not the dealer. There is also nothing wrong with a stock clutching set up that a good clutch kit couldn't cure. The little hesitation you speak of can be cured by the proper weights and springs. The backshifting can be cured by a roller clutch.

I also really doubt that 100ccs more would help with all of the pig iron and lead they use in their frames. Especially on their four strokes. Two strokes are a different story.