Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW Scrambler = what precautions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a new scrambler 400 4x4 as soon as I find a dealer w/ one. I am curious as to what break-ins/precautions to take, such as:

>>>How long should I ride in hours or miles before i really rip into the throttle.

>>>Any nuts or things to that nature that come loose?

Things to this nature. I am not directing my post to these two examples in general, Anything that I should be aware of from A-Z, I would really like to be informed.

I do not want to buy a new quad and a little mishap take place and end up costing me big over something I paid no attention.

I have strong pride in polaris already (thanks to you guys)! I am very excited about my future purchase (hopefully soon)

Thanks A Bunch!

Erin ***

Old 11-29-1999, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

I would perodicly check the belt because they break very often. Not to be smart but maybe a 300 ex might better suit you to learn about the works without worring about a break down.

Old 11-29-1999, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about the belt. Just learn how it works. It is like a clutch. Some people burn clutches, some don't.

If you are stopped and you push on the throttle a little bit, the belt starts to engage a little bit. If your wheels are not moving, then the belt is burning. It depends on how long you are doing this, or if you are in rough terrain and trying to climb over things slowly, or trying to tow something. Your clutch should be either engaged or disengaged. You want to try not to have it 'somewhat' engaged.

As for some piece of mind, the belt is pretty cheap to replace, so if you do burn one, it isn't too expensive.

As for the machine, break it in as the book recommends. Don't ride it hard for the first couple of hours. Just easy and vary the throttle. You can try to use a little bit more throttle after that, but avoid holding it open or at one RPM. Just be careful. It's brand new!

After a couple of tanks of gas, then you should be able to let it rip.

Buy 2 better air filters like a UNI. Keep them clean. Nothing will ruin your motor faster than dust and dirt. Use one filter, and keep one clean.

One more thing, if you are riding with buddies, don't do anything YOU don't want to do. Some people will pressure you, but until you are confident in your ride, you may want to avoid it.

Can't wait to hear your stories.

Enjoy,

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 11-29-1999, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

If your like the rest of us the only NUT you need to worry about is the one on the SEAT.Other than that you'll be ok,other than that RENNYM said it all.Just ride safe and have fun,don't forget the HELMET!!!!

Old 11-29-1999, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

First, I'd disregard the suggestion to select the Honda EX. The Polaris Scrambler is quite a machine.

Though I have the 4 stroker, I'd suggest starting off with a slightly "oil-rich" mixture, for the first 20 hours or so. Don't know exactly how to set that on a 400, but the dealer probably does it automatically. With any 2 stroke, I would buy stock in NGK, or at least pick up a box of the right size plugs for my garage. And some chain lube.

Rich

Old 11-29-1999, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

I am not new to the sport but new to the polaris game. If I wanted a little 300ex, I would be asking in the Honda forum. I feel I am a big boy and if I were to settle for an ex, it would be the 400. (in no way am I down talking honda) Yes I understand how manual clutches work, and have worked on my own before. I am new to the polaris models and just wanted to know about anything I specifically needed to keep my eyes on. Thanks for the help guys and If anything else pops into those heads of yours then post it up. Ill keep you updated and most definently will be asking many questions about upgrades and maintenence down the road.

thanks guys

ec

Old 11-29-1999, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

roaddogg, i too am getting a 400 soon, as soon as tomarrow hopefully. that is what my dealer says anyhow. he said they left the factory, and were on the truck, but the truck driver stopped home for thanksgiving. ha!! sounds too much like an excuse to me, but i'll see what happens. it was supposed to be here two weeks ago. impatiently waiting!!!!! i am also new to the polaris thing, had an lt250r before this, and a blaster, love the 2 strokes. also had an old beater of a snowmobile, so understand somewhat how the clutch works, but i still can use a bit of advise on break-in, care and maintanece. i did get alot of helpful knowledge off here though, and i know if i have any questions someone will be able to help me out. i already have planned to more then likely do a stage 1 rcr kit mod in the spring. i have to have my fun with the stock machine first, then when i get used to it, i figure i will modify. can't wait! the only thing is that i am a bit leary about working on polaris' i am one that won't take my car, or quad anywhere unless i really can't do the work myself. its just too expensive. so, i am hopeing that the polaris will be easy to maintain. i can't hardly wait to get it. i won't be able to sleep tonight, like a kid on xmas eve. but i am prepared for disappointment if it doesn't come in tomarrow. hopefully at least by the weekend. well, as roaddogg said, if anyone has any helpful hints, they will be much appreciated. raoddogg... let me know how you like yours. when are you supposed to get it? '99 or '00 i went with the '99 because i like the color better, its a bit lighter, and alittle bit cheaper. only thing is the rear travel is alittle less. well, let me know how you like yours when you get it.

Old 11-29-1999, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would take it easy for the first 100miles or so, but that doesn't mean you have to idle around everywhere.

Common stuff on any quad, the chain might stretch when new, so check it. I can't think of any nuts & bolts that come loose.

Make sure the pull-rope is seated good on it's perch to keep water out.

Don't worry about the belt. Like RM said, if you rode a manual clutch with it partialy engaged all the time expect problems. I have seen people do this on a Polaris (by not giving enough throttle) and on dirt bikes (by "riding the clutch") and yes both were replacing parts.

You should love your new ride!

Old 11-29-1999, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

bigdevil,

I dont know exactly when I will get the quad except for it will be b/t now and Christmas. I am going w/ the 00'. I plan on doing everything I can do to the quad w/o voiding the warrenty FIRST. I too am interested in the RCR kit, Reed cages and valves, wiseco kits,....etc.
BUT the things that do not void warrenty come first. I am going to change the air filter, plastic (I am going all yellow w/ black hood and seat, I am getting some custom stickers that say something cool like "Big Sting" or something goofy like that. I havent decided) Probably go w/ some aluminum wheels and DG bumpers and a-arm guards. Yeah Ive read all your posts about selling your 250r and all. I am excited about getting this quad. It will be a great learning experience.
Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks once again,
EC

P.S. Its gonna be tough not getting on the gasserooooo for the first couple of tanks. I hope things go very smooth. Good luck bigdevil!

Old 11-30-1999, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Erin, The best place to get the Scrambler would be at High Point Polaris talk to Gary the Owner and tell him Steve with the Bigfoot Scrambler 500 sent ya. Do not go to Forshty Motorsports or SRS Motorsports, the service sucks and they will rip you off.

I look forward to riding with you,

Steve Thompson

Quick Reply: NEW Scrambler = what precautions?