Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 02:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any changes to the 500 from 1999 to 2000, other than the decals?

Has anyone seen a conversion kit to allow the use of footpegs instead of the floor boards?

How badly, and where and when is the Banshee (owned by a friend) gonna wipe me up? Should I get him out in the deep tight woods, I assume?

How do I get them stinkin factory decals off? (I promise to ride responsibly, with no passengers, without overloading and within my own experience limitations) What a crock! I'm gonna kill myself on this thing!

I have not been happy with my jumping...I get the sense that I lift of of the machine, or lift equally with the machine...unlike with pegs, where, to a degree, you sort of hod yourself to the machine by lowering the front of your foot and pulling backwards...

Any suggestions to help my jumping?

I bought my FIRST ever quad 3 months ago. I liked the '97 scrambler 500 for a few weeks, but it had "no motor."

I've got 4 in the garage now...all Polaris. That Damned Yellow thing has me looking over my shoulder...I may have to add a DS650, just to, well, stay ahead of all comers?!

And THANKS to all of you Cob, Mud, Quad etc. I am new here, but appreciate your comments!!

See ya in the woods!

------------------

Old 11-29-1999, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

There are a handful of changes that have been made to 2000 scrambler 500 that differ from the 1999 scrambler 500. First and most noticeably is the new decal scheme. As a matter of fact all the 2000 Polaris sport 400's and scrambler 400's are red like the 500 with similar decals. The next big difference is the swing arm. They moved the mount and slightly redesigned the swing arm to achieve the new 10.5 inches of travel opposed to 8.8 inches on the 1999's. Next are new Sachs front shocks that supposedly offers less fade that the 1999 fox units. Next is a slightly redesigned front transaxle assembly ( maybe for reliability ). Other minor items are the tie rod ends and various fasteners. According to Polaris latest posted 500 statistics lists the 500 at the same weight ( 542 lbs ) as the 1999's.

The floorboards are a tricky subject. The floorboards are bolted to two square frame extensions that must be cut off. The floorboards also bolt the plastic to prevent the plastic from flapping all around. There are a few guys that removed their floorboards and installed foot pegs. This is a serious mod and has to be planned carefully. I feel the same way you do about the floorboards and if it was easy to remove and add foot pegs I would be there. Try removing one side and contemplating what is involved.

Check out some of the modified Polari at http://www.godigital-design.com/schu...ports/gallery/

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500

Old 11-29-1999, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Hi Chris...I notice that you are my state...NJ!

Anyway, HOW did you get that info regarding changes? I emailed Polaris customer service and they said DECALS were the only difference! (Grr)

Thanks, I had noticed the rear travel difference, but thought maybe I was missing an adjustment somewhere.

And Chris, my riding location is in the Poconos, with many miles of trails available right from my driveway. If you're ever looking for a new place to ride on a Tues or Sat ...let me know

------------------

Old 11-29-1999, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Decals weren't the only changes. They are wrong...

Check the article on the Polaris intro in the quad reviews section I think from ATVC main page.

There is a new shock & swingarm in back. The new shock also has dual springs, which I think is cool.

The redeisned slightly some little things like coolany resavoir, things like that, nothing major.

I rode with a '00 500 in the sand it's a good looking bike. Looks just like mine... :-)

Old 11-29-1999, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Do you mean dual rate springs?

Old 12-01-1999, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

yes rooster

Old 12-03-1999, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

O2B4UNC, I was looking at the new 500's at the dealership and you can see all the new improvements. Also reading about it in Dirt wheels ( I think ).

My buddy has a rental house at Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro, PA but I have no idea where to ride. When it snowed we took a ride to Alvin's rentals and they let me ride around all day for $20.

I'm heading down to the Pine Barrens tonight with camera in hand. I'll wake up tomorrow morning early and ride till my bike runs out of gas then refuel and do it again. I'll have to wear my insulated jump suit because it will be about 30 degrees tomorrow morning.

Tuning the clutch is part of maintenance these days and I’m curious to see how much of an RPM difference it is riding in the sand than on hard packed dirt. On hard packed dirt the bike launches as high as 6200 RPM's. In the sand there is more resistance so I might need slightly lighter flyweights.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500