Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Youth Models

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 08:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted a few times about trouble I'm having with my boys Sc 90. Well I guess I'm losing my sense of humor. I'll give you a quick run down. Bought it in Nov, Dec the oil tank ight would not go out. Turned out to be the float and they replaced the tank. While they were fixing that they found a pinched wire in the steering stem. After a long winter that didn't see much use we took it back out in April the brake light wouldn't work . After a little checking found that the ignition switch wasn't working either. Seems the swithch is located under the right front fender and fills up with water and mud. Well it shorted out and caused the battery to fry also. They fixed it under warrantee. Just found out that when they changed the oil tank they didn't change the cap and it douesn't fit. Keeps popping out and leaking oil all over the motor. Just Monday night I went for a ride with my son and we got about 2 miles before his 90 quit. It's not getting any gas thru the carb. Had to push him out of the woods and go get the truck. Dealer says to take off the gas cap and blow hard into the tank??????? Says they vapor lock regularly and you need to force gas thru the carb? I think they are hiding in the woods across from my house and laughing at the guy trying to give an ATV a bl##wjob..

Maine has a lemon law on motor vehicles I wonder if it applies to ATV's?

Now that I have vented...... has anyone else had the type of trouble with their mini's as I have?

Old 05-23-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Two weeks ago I bought a Polaris Sportsman 90 for my son. I did this after many months of research and consideration of virtually all currently available mini-quads. In the end my top two contenders were the Suzuki LT80 and the Polaris SP90.

My son liked the SP90 because it had cargo racks, making it look like my Kawasaki Bayou 300 and Bayou 400. My wife liked the SP90 because of the full floorboards, which would offer better protection for my son’s feet, and she liked it because of the nearly full coverage fenders which would help keep his clothes cleaner. (To anyone who is not married this last reason may not make any sense, so there is no point in explaining it as you have no point of reference. And to those of us who are married, no explanation is necessary).

I liked the Suzuki, and I came within 30 seconds of writing the check to buy one, until the dealer pulled a bait-and-switch on me. I made a deal on what I thought was a 2001 model LT80. At literally the last second when I looked at the invoice prior to signing the check, I saw it was a 2000 model. When I questioned the dealer about it, he said he could not give me a 2001 model for the agreed on price but only a leftover 2000 model. I put my checkbook back in my pocket and walked out the door.

Polaris has long had a reputation for poor quality. As someone used to the near bulletproof reliability of Big 4 Japanese motorcycles (I have 3), ATVs (I have 2), and Jet Skis (I have 1), it was only with the greatest reluctance that I bought the Sportsman 90. The fit and finish on my SP90 are not bad, but not up to Japanese standards either. Mechanically everything seems to be OK, but I have only had the SP90 for two weeks now. And, due to a lot of cold rainy weather, my son has not yet gone through the first tank of gas. Though I haven’t had any problems yet, it may too soon to comment on the SP90’s reliability.

My one complaint so far is that the SP90’s front brakes are absolutely WORTHLESS. I have tried every brake adjustment technique there is to no avail. Even my best Arnold Schwartzenegger bone-crushing grip is insufficient to keep the SP90 from slowly rolling downhill with my 190-pound carcass on board (and the hill is neither long nor steep). I know the SP90 was not designed for adults, but the same thing happens when my 42-pound 5-year old son is on board and I’m standing beside him and I’m the one operating the front brake.

The Polaris youth models are made in Taiwan by Aeon to Polaris specifications. Polaris claims their upgrades and better quality control result in a better than average Taiwanese mini-quad. I would have to agree with that statement. But then the average Taiwanese mini-quad is nothing to write home about, so this is not exactly something to brag about.

During my initial research I looked at several mini-quads made in Taiwan. I looked at the Eton models and the Kasea models. I rejected all of them primarily for ergonomic reasons, i.e., they simply didn’t fit my son well, and secondarily for quality reasons, they just couldn’t match the Japanese offerings.

The April 2001 issue of 4-Wheel Action tested the Scrambler 90 and found it wanting in many respects. Dirt Wheels tested the Eton 90 against the Honda 90, and found the Eton was not even close to the Honda. The Eton 90 had pieces falling off of it at the end of the test session. Dirt Wheels also tested the Sportsman 90. They found it to be alright, but they didn’t seem to be thrilled by it.

I got the Sportsman 90 on sale for $1999 (MSRP is $2199), so I saved $535 over the cost of buying an LT80. I used $240 of my savings to buy my son a helmet, goggles, boots and gloves.

All early reports on Taiwanese mini-quads in the ATV press, whether the Polaris improved variety or not, have been mostly negative. I can only hope my $535 saving was not false economy.

Old 05-23-2001, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

I just bought a Scram 90 for my daughter 2 weeks ago and I am very Happy with it. I have not had any problems with it so far. You should have your brake looked at because I think the SC and SP have the same chassis, and I can do stoppies all day long and easily lock the brakes on pavement! I'm no light weight (260lb)
As far as bulletproof Jap machines are concerened, I bought a 2002 Suz LT50 for my 3 Year old, and after only 1 week the motor went south! It is at the shop getting a fresh motor.
See Ya Drew

Old 05-23-2001, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

I could be wrong on this, but I don’t believe the LT50 is a “true” Suzuki any more than the Scrambler/Sportsman 90 is a “true” Polaris. In each case, I believe the quad in question is made under contract for Suzuki/Polaris by some other manufacturer.

If I’m wrong, I’ve no doubt I’ll be quickly corrected.

In the meantime, on Sunday June 3rd I’ll be riding my 1983 Honda GL650 street bike in the Syria Shrine’s Spring poker run. Eighteen years with nothing but gas, oil, plugs, filters, tires and brakes needed to keep it going. That’s what I mean by Big 4 Japanese manufacturer’s products being nearly bulletproof.

Old 05-24-2001, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

Not to be a contrarian, but I wondered if any of you considered the Yamaha Breeze. I am a Polaris guy too, but was too afraid to try the new Polaris mini's. We settled on the Breeze and have had no problems.

Though slightly larger than a mini (but certainly far from any full-size quad) the Breeze has a 125cc engine. There is a throttle limiter. It also has full floor boards, electric start, REVERSE, and is an automatic. It was the closest thing we could find to Polaris features that would still grow with our riding size children -- ages 6 to 9. We have been very pleased with our decision and are constantly amazed at where this critter can go on the trails in the Ozark mountains.

Didn't mean for this to sound like a commercial, but if I were still shopping today, I know this is the type of information I'd be looking for.

Jim Banks
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
1989 Polaris Trailboss
2001 Yamaha Breeze
- and 4 monkeys (2 of which drive the quads)

Old 05-25-2001, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

Jim,

Contrarian views are always welcome, that’s what makes a horse race.

Yes, I did consider the Yamaha Breeze, and Badger for that matter. Late last year another forum member detailed his decision to buy a Yamaha Breeze, and his experience with it after he bought it. He also touted the auto-tranny, 125cc engine, shaft drive and reverse.

The post on the Breeze prompted me to give it serious consideration, but I ultimately rejected it. The BIG problem I had had with the Breeze was the price. It is simply too expensive for what you get relative to several other non-mini, entry-level quads that are available. It is one VERY expensive 125cc machine. When one can buy a Kawasaki Bayou 220 for the same, or even less, money than a Breeze, there is simply no point in considering a Breeze. The littlest Bayou will walk all over the Breeze in any contest of ability.

But both the Bayou 220 and the Breeze were too big for my 5-year old son, who while big for a 5-year old isn’t quite big enough. If he were 8 years old, then the Bayou 220 or the Breeze would probably fit him. But I would then get less time (only 2 or 3 years for a Bayou 220/Breeze, versus 4 or 5 years for an SP90) out of a more expensive machine ($3000 for a Bayou 220/Breeze versus $2000 for an SP90).

If my “5-year plan” goes better than those of the former Soviet Government, I’ll get 4 or 5 years out of the SP90. And at the end of that time, I should have no problem transitioning him to my Bayou 300 4x4.

There is one other factor concerning mini-quads for children not addressed by any of the posts in this thread and that is, heredity. Put simply, if the parents are small statured, then the children will most likely also be small statured. This will lengthen the time that a quad like a Breeze would remain an economically and practically viable option. In my case, where I am rather tall (6’ 2”), and where my daughter was 5’6” (taller than many adult females) when she was 10 years old (at 16 she is now closing in on 5’9”), I can reasonably expect my son to follow the same growth pattern. So putting him on either my Bayou 300, or Bayou 400 (like I did my daughter), at age 10 should pose no problem.

Thanks for your input. I’m sure your kids love riding the Breeze, and I doubt you’ll have any problems with it. But for me the SP90 represents the mini-quad that will provide the longest service life, at the least cost, while having the best overall ergonomic fit and retaining the highest resale value of any of the Taiwanese minis.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

Hey Armyman,

Good luck with your 90. Personally, I'd like to see Polaris do well with these models. I know I have seen several posts regarding problems with them recently, but then again, I have a 2000 Chevrolet Suburban that has had twice as many problems already as my previous 95 Suburban ever had. Maybe it is just a matter of time before both Polaris and its service departments get used to perfecting and/or servicing the new mini's.

I must take issue with only a couple of your comments, though. First, "The littlest Bayou will walk all over the Breeze in any contest of ability." -- Not sure what relavance this has to youth quads. Our Breeze easily keeps up on trails or in fields with most full size quads. The ability of this model is really a sight to behold and has amazed me time and again. My point is that we were discussing models in terms of our children (not you and I). With that in mind, I doubt any 5 to 10 year old on a Bayou would "walk all over" a comparably experienced rider on a Breeze. So far, on some fairly interesting, technical trails, my son's only limitation has been his own experience and his dad's nervousness--not the ability of his quad. Maybe a Bayou would out drag a Breeze? If so, I could care a less. The Breeze easily keeps up with the SP500 under 40 miles an hour on trails, etc. We don't drag race our quads anyway.

Second, size. As I pointed out, the Breeze is not directly comparable to a mini (or even the Yamaha Badger--which I didn't consider for a number of reasons). It is bigger than any mini and yet smaller than any full size on the market. It is in a class of its own (so far as I've found) from a size standpoint. I understand you had some size concerns for your 5 year old. That makes sense depending on the size of the 5 year old. My daughter was 6 (soon to be 7) before we let her drive the Breeze by herself. Personally, I question the ability of a 5 year old to operate a quad under all but the most absolutely monitored and controlled situations...but that is simply my own parenting opinion. My children are tall, so leg length was not a problem.

Third price. The Breeze retails for $2999. A Bayou 220 for $3299. A SP90 or SC90 for $2199 and $2099, respectively. From trail ability and "room-to-grow-with" ability (suspension, power, ride quality, maintenace need) standpoints, the Breeze justified its price to me. But remember, I had both the dollars to spend and two children (now ages 7 and 9) now riding the Breeze and two not yet quad age (ages 2 and 4) that will ride the Breeze as the older children move up to bigger quads. So the Breeze has a long potential life in my family. I recognize that others needs, means, and situations may be different.

Finally, features. The Breeze is fully automatic, the Bayou isn't. The Breeze has full floorboards, the Bayou doesn't. On the flipside, I did like the racks on the Bayou. But realistically, does the 215cc Bayou "walk all over" the 124cc Breeze -- I doubt it -- especially when our children are riding.

As I tried to point out, comparing the Breeze to the Polaris mini's (or other mini's) is probably not a fair comparison. The Breeze, like the Bayou, is technically, size-wise, and price-wise more comparable to a full size quad.

In fact, you make a good point in comparing the Breeze to the Bayou (though I question the dramatic difference you point out). These two quads are probably the closest competitors in their size-price class. Is one really better than the other? Who knows? I can see where a Bayou might make more sense for some folks depending on their situation and previous riding experiences. Personally, I wanted the most-Polaris-like quad out there for my children (the Yamaha dealer didn't appreciate my sentiments!), so the 5-speed automatic/no floor boards was a big turn off to me on the Bayou. That may not be true for others....

If I were considering a quad for my 4-year old, I would look harder at the Pol-minis. She is certainly too small for the Breeze. But, then again, I'd never in a million years turn my 4-year old loose on a quad! I've ridden with her, she doesn't yet know how to control the throttle and/or brakes in difficult situations (which, for her, can occur in open fields when she sees a bunny or turtle in her path). I can see her panicking and riding into a fence or something!

For both you and I, Armyman, I am glad there is such wide range a quads on the market. This discussion just goes to demonstrate that though our situations may on the surface appear similiar, they may actually be different enough to force such dramatic differences in quad opinions.

Best of luck with your quads! And have fun with that 5 year old while you can!

Jim

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
1989 Polaris Trailboss 250
2001 Yamaha Breeze