Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-1999, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in a debate between a 2000 kodiak or a 2000 sportsman. I like to do alot of trail riding such as over fallen trees, up steep hills, and through deep creeks. Which one do you think I should get.

Old 12-05-1999, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

Kodie, that's a tough one. Do you need a lot of power? If so go with the Sportsman. If not and you want a cheaper machine, go with the Kodiak. Either way you will have a great machine.

------------------
If you're not dead, ride red!

Old 12-05-1999, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently was in the same situation, I really liked the Kodiak, it was light and had a good reputation. I've been doing some mountain riding and I'll give you my two cents worth.
1) The sportsman is amazing in the woods, going over logs, stumps etc. The rear suspension really made it easy compared to other atv's I've ridden. I don't know if I'd ever get another atv without independent rear susp. The only drawback I have seen is with pulling, if you plan on pulling trailers or anything with some tongue weight, don't get the sportsman. I've pulled a jet ski up a hill and the suspension nearly bottoms out.
2) The sportsman does seem to have more power in low gear, but I have felt some belt slippage now and then. I'm expecting to have to replace the belt every 3 years maybe more. If you don't do a lot of climbing hills, you won't need to worry about this.
3) The sportsman is such a better deal. It comes with so much more compared to the Kodiak, for about the same price. I checked around the upper mid-west and the average price for a 99 sportsman was $6300, a 99 Kodiak was $6100.
4) The whole "true" 4 wheel drive thing. Polaris is supposed to be better in this area.
5) The polaris is much easier to ride with a passenger, albeit this is illegal, but we all do it.
Pros for the Kodiak
6) The Kodiak is smaller and can be manuever easier in the woods.
7) It's a lot lighter, easier to tow and get unstuck. The polaris is very heavy. I pull two of them and it's not easy. My buddy pulls a Kodiak and Wolverine much easier than I do. Gas mileage goes down to 6-9 in my Jeep V8.
8) It's track record and reputation far exceeds the polaris. (atleast around here)

You can guess that I went with the Polaris, but my buddy got the Kodiak and is extremly satisfied with it.

Anyone redneck that reads this can forget flamming me with pro Kodiak or pro Sportsman emails. This is just my opinion and we're all entitled to one.

Old 12-05-1999, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a Sportsman 500 for almost 2 years now, and have over 1200 miles on it. We just bought my wife a '00 Kodiak; here's my 2 1/2 cents worth.

The Polaris is unbeatable over logs, rough terrain, and steep hills. *I* think it is the absolute best. In thick woods, though, you will find there is a disadvantage to riding the *widest* thing on the trail.

The Kodiak is lighter. If you read the specs, the weight doesn't seem a big difference, but it sure *feels* a whole lot lighter. It is much easier to steer, and of course it's gonna squeeze in the tight spaces a lot easier.

Last week we went on a ride through thick forest with steep hills, some off-camber side hills, and some snow. Everyone in the group was very impressed with the perfomance of both, the machine and the first-time rider on it (my wife). She did get hung up trying to get over one log, but we will work on her riding skills and hopefully teach her some methods to overcome such obsticals. She loves her Kodiak and *she* thinks it is the absolute best.

Polaris
PRO:
  • Has the suspension, tires & clearance to simply drive over stuff that other machines may require special techniques or skills.

True 4-wheel drive

Bigger (biggest?) gas tank

*I* like the plastic racks that some other people complain about. They provide a nice flat surface to set things on or to mount boxes or accessories.

PLENTY of power as-delivered.

CON:
  • *Almost* too wide for many trails; *too wide* for some.

Kodiak
PRO:
  • Light-weight / easy to steer.

Automatic transmission has a "Park" position which positivly locks the transmission. (with the brake that is on other ATV's, Polaris included, sometimes the last notch in the parking brake is not quite enough, but it won't go to the next notch. Trust me, when in Moab with 1000' cliffs, you don't want to hear someone yell "There goes the Polaris!")
    Shorter & narrower body, makes tight maneuvers easy.

Engine Braking (keep in mind, I'm comparing it to my '98 Sportsman that doesn't have EBS, which *is* standard on the newer models and available for as an option or retro-fit on other models)
CON:
  • I don't like the noise & vibration from the Kodiak. ESPECIALLY the vibration.

In all fairness, I havn't ridden the Kodiak much; but it did seem to have more of a tendancy to go straight when I was trying to turn in deep snow.

The shifter seems cumberson to operate.

It will only start in neutral or Park; and often when in Park you have to rock the bike to make the Park light come on so you can start it.

Bottom line -
my opinon: Polaris!
wife's opinion: Kodiak!

------------------
Tim Bundrick
'98 Polaris Sportsman 500
'00 Yamaha Kodiak
<a href="mailto:tbundrick@cos.wantweb.net">tbundrick@ cos.wantweb.net </a>

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 12-05-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 12-05-1999).]

Old 12-05-1999, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Prospector, If you pull the left hand brake then the machine will start in any position. I had some friends come buy, most of them owning several quads and they said that it is quiet and there is hardly any vibration at all. I was wanting to get a question answered fairley if I can, I have had several people ask me how dose the machine run in speed compared to the Polaris Sportsman? I haven't been able to find any Sportsman machines around here most of the quads are on the lighter and smaller side for easier trail ridding . Dose the Kodiak hang in there with the Sportsman I know it will not at full open throttle, it will only run 55 MPH? One other thing Don,t run premium fuel the motor runs kind of rough causing vibration.----------Kyle Kimball------

------------------

Old 12-05-1999, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

bkurth;would hope that there is no hate mail,I thought you and the prospector did great job compareing machines, what better can you do.You both have actual experience not just running off at the mouth that happens all to often in here.Kodie asked a good question and I think got a good answer.

------------------
speed kills ride a HONDA