Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 sportsman 500 H.O. parts failure list

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've had it almost 8 months now, here's the rundown. At 300 miles the front struts went. The dealer had it for almost a month before I finally got it back. They recommended I buy the HD front springs to keep it from happening again, so I did. At around 450 mi. the reverse/neutral indicator switch went out, one more week at the dealer, finally went down and got the bike and put the switch in myself. At 1100 miles I blew a belt, I had to pay for the belt, so much for the lifetime warranty. Now at around 1500 mi. the electronic speedometer quit, it controls the reverse rev limiter AND the 4wd. I'm a little over a month past warranty, but the dealer thinks Polaris might go good for it. I do not beat my machine, just ride it. I had heard all the horror stories about Polaris before I bought it and I would buy it all over again, It's just a little frustrating when you spend this amount of money on something. I'm not bashing, just venting.

Old 06-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering if polaris would stick by the lifetime belt warranty. Guess not. Hope ya get it fixed at there expense.Good luck.

Old 06-12-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I wonder about your dealer...keeping your machine for so long just to put in the reverse/neutral switch??? They should do that in 15 minutes while you wait (if you make an appointment). I would make some noise about the belt. I was considering replacing my old machine this spring, so the dealer was telling me the advantages of going to a 2001 and (among other things) was the lifetime belt. I asked how many belts you get free, or was it just the first one. He said the first belt is a no-questions asked type of thing, but he is supposed to check pulley alignment & possible damage or malfunction of the clutch pulleys. The second belt means you get instructions on how to use low range & more detailed clutch inspection, and they have a limit of 3 new belts per machine, warranty covered. The belt is not that expensive, but if they warranty it, they should honor it.

Old 06-12-2001, 01:23 PM
MNT
Pro Rider

Go to another dealer. He's screwing you.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:38 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Farmer 123

I am glad you answered the belt question that I have been wondering about. I have heard the Xplorer is not that hard on belts so that should be pleanty for years. I have replaced my belt once on my 1993 and it was not worn out.

I am looking to by a 2001 Xplorer soon when my credit union calls back. Everyone has been trying to talk me out of the two-stroke due to maintenance but my 250 (2 Stroke) has been close to trouble free (except when I rolled it end over end three time down a hill bending the steering step and bars). I assume the 400 cc is just as good as the 250. An old time Polaris mechanic told me the 378cc motor is an old workhorse than lasts and lasts as long as it is maintained.

Old 06-15-2001, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

That repair rundown does include two different dealers, not much else I can do there. I guess warranty work goes to the back of the shop for fill in work.

Old 06-15-2001, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< ... I assume the 400 cc is just as good as the 250. An old time Polaris mechanic told me the 378cc motor is an old workhorse than lasts and lasts as long as it is maintained. >>

I know a gentleman that has a Xplorer 400 with over 7000 miles on it and he has not had the engine rebuilt, but he has gone through 3 starters.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superhero, I know how you fill, I run into the same problems with the dealer here in town. Slow to fix anything and forever to get the parts. I hope you get it resolved.
Man you put a lot of miles on in 8 months I wish I could ride that much!

Old 06-15-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy, I have over 4100 miles on my '99 Xplorer. I was considering trading, but it has been so good to me so far, I figured I'd keep it a while yet. I have less than $20 in repairs so far, and nothing that I can see going bad yet. The belt is getting a glaze on it, but is still going. The sprockets are showing wear, but should last at least to 5000 miles, or maybe 6000. I don't do a lot of deep mudding, and if I do, I rinse everything off while it is still wet, which is why I am sure the chain/sprockets are holding up so well. I live in the middle of nowhere (if you meet a patrolman, just wave - yes that far back, try and find Comstock on a map - it's in the middle of Nebraska [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) so 90% of my rides start at my house and end at my house, so I don't have a trailer ride where the mud has a chance to bake on.
Anyway, the dealer told me the single biggest thing on the 400s is to keep the air filter clean, and it should go and go. He had in a 400 Xpress that had 12,000 miles on it. It was a trade-in and they were planning to overhaul it, but it still ran fine. Same engine as the Xplorer.

Old 06-19-2001, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

Well, It's now 11 days since I let the dealer know my situation, and he still hasn't heard back from polaris yet. I'm about to just go down and buy the stupid speedo, on the other hand, it is $170. They said they should hear back by the end of the week. Nice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2001 sportsman 500 H.O. parts failure list