Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of antifreeze is everyone using? I need to add some to mine to top it off and don't know if automotive type is safe or should I get a special kind.

davidg

Old 12-21-1999, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Antifreeze. Polaris recommends a good quality ethylene glycol (not propylene glycol) that is sold in the auto stores. However, Polaris says that they have had some testing done by antifreeze mfrs. to try to select one that does not form abrasive material from the silicates that are used to give the antifreeze its corrosion inhibiting properties. Polaris is not very definitive about this.

On the other hand, Honda shops sell an antifreeze that they claim is formulated especially to minimize or prevent the formation of abrasives by the silicates (or maybe it doesn't have silicates?). Why be concerned about abrasive material? Because it can do harm to the water pump rotary seal and make it leak coolant. I am not sure, but I think regular antifreezes that have silicates are not too bad about forming silicates if the coolant is changed/flushed every year or so, but I am not sure at all.

Since I am not sure about this I have elected to use Honda coolant in my Polaris. It is sold in quart bottles as a 50/50 water/antifreeze solution. Polaris does recommend 60% antifreeze. Be aware of this, however: you should always keep water/antifreeze mix near 50%. I have seen some info stating that the abrasive formation problem is worse if the mixture varies far from this. There are other reasons to have it near 50/50 too. And, I suppose 60/40 is ok since Polaris recommends it. Al Elston

Old 12-23-1999, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

If i was you, I would go to your local Polaris dealer and buy the premixed antifreeze!