Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS clutch take off clunk / engagement noise!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the dreaded clunk!

It seems to be getting louder as the miles on the machine accumulate. It is especially noticeable after using reverse and then putting the shifter into forward. What is causing these noises? Is it the one-way clutch? Is it sheaves banging together?

I am getting disgusted about the whole Polaris strange noise issue.

Any one else out there with the clunk?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2001, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

That noise you hear is normal unfortunately. It is the sound of the metal rollers hitting the helix. The reason it is even louder from reverse to forward is it gets more of a running start to smack into the helix. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Polaris atv's do make some funky noises.

Old 06-26-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible to put another 1/4 turn of preload on the secondary spring reduce this annoyance? I just wonder why some do it and some don't.

Old 06-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I was just informed by Odin that what I am hearing is the "audible engagement noise" of the one way clutch and helix when going from the locked to the unlocked EBS mode. Page 6.35 of the Sportsman Shop Manual. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2001, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

I have a 99 Magnum 500 with over 3000 miles on it and have also noticed a clunk. I removed the clutch cover and it is definitely coming from the primary clutch. Does anyone know if this could cause major problems later? I have a full warranty and was wondering if it should make a trip to the shop?

Old 07-03-2001, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

More clutching questions

Cowman,

Before your machine started creeping forward did it make any clunking noises when taking off from an idle?

Old 07-03-2001, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

<< I have a 99 Magnum 500 with over 3000 miles on it and have also noticed a clunk. I removed the clutch cover and it is definitely coming from the primary clutch. >>

The clunk (&quot;inital engagement noise&quot could be coming from a few areas.

1. The banging together of the primary clutch sheaves upon take off
when the action of the clutch weights overcome the separational
forces exerted by the primary spring

2. The reversing of the one way EBS clutch bearing taking up slack
upon initial acceleration

3. Or.. Like Bubba said it is the rollers in the secondary clutch taking up slack against the helix

In any event these noises are what I have read about in the last two years that happen before the clutch starts to creep and is declared defective by a Polaris technician. It seems that the techs are not allowed to warrant the repairs before the creeping starts or the clutch locks up.

Apparently there is sometimes enough service life left in the clutches to make them last through the warranty period. (I can't believe that I said that!)

Old 07-04-2001, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

The clunk is normal and is coming from the secondary clutch. It is the rollers going from the deceleration side of the helix to the acceleration side which is about an inch. I have not had time to figure out why some are noiser than others. My experience with EBS clutches have been good. Maybe one failure out of a hundred. Seems to depend a lot on the rider and how they work it. Although I have heard of some defects out of the box that should be taken care of at setup or at 150 mile service. If some have installed an 077 belt on a EBS system I would sure like to see that belt with some miles on it. Its got to shorten its life riding on those grooves of the one way clutch and will change the operation, sounds like for better in one case anyway.