Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Don't buy Polaris, you'll be sorry, the full pkg Grizz 660 number 1.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick perusal of the Polaris owner's manual will reveal the following: WHEN RIDING UNDER 7 MPH, LOW GEAR MUST BE USED TO PREVENT PREMATURE BELT WEAR AND SLIPPAGE. Anyone who does not follow this rule deserves what he/she gets (premature belt replacement).

Old 07-04-2001, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Back East Polaris has a really bad reputation of blowing piston twisting frames and eating up sprokets.My uncle had a 250 trail boss it was good for driving but in mud it was useless same in the sand. I had a YFM200 that out lasted the life of that machine by a long shot he had to get 2 motor for that bike every time we would leave for more then 2 hrs he would end being towed by a yam or honda was not inpres.My YFM was rougher ride a bit slower but a lot better machine then that Polaris that old yam is a 87 had to replace the bearings in the rear end witch cost about 25$ to replace and the normal repair like tiers oil change. As for the bigger Polaris i have not seen one last more then 3 years then piston would let go it looks like they are not made for being around salt water and being worked in the mud and sand. Honda and Yamaha seems to be abel to hadel the abuse better then the Polaris.
My uncel sold his Polaris and got the 450 ES from Honda and the 500 Rubicom witch he likes a lot more then his old Polaris he made this comment on his Polaris he said they must of used the rejected Honda and Yamaha to make then Polaris bikes.
So far if i was to buy another ATV i think i would go with the Gris or the Bombadier.
Polaris left a bad image in my mind so did their sled beacause i had one and it cost me a fortune needed a new crankshaft piston it was 1 year old when this happen....

Polaris owner good luck and the rest of u guys keep it up....

Dam26

Old 07-04-2001, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

How can you call this quad "perfect" if the cvs are smaller than a Polaris and the Yamaha gearing in the Ultramatic is too high to turn 28 inch tires stock?
Doesn't sound perfect to me. What about the steam-intake described in the magazine? or the 100% plastic skidplates? or maybe even the small axles that are half the size of an SP? or the tranny exhaust vent coming out the rear and making it almost impossible to snorkle? hmmmm...not perfect anymore huh?
PS: it is a VERYYY nice quad, and I could easily see myself riding on one in the future. It is a very big step in the right direction, but IMO is still far from perfect.

Old 07-04-2001, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer

Ok guys in all fairness lets face the facts. Polaris has led the way in the technical development of the modern ATV. Nobody can dispute the fact that they were the first company to seriously look at what the cunsumer wanted in a ATV, and as a result has came up with most of todays premium features.
BUT, they should have paid more attention to quality! Some of the key components of their machines, although well designed just lack the nessesary quality to hold up under normal riding conditions.
I personally like the Polaris lineup but their record for unreliabilty is a fact of life.
The Polaris brand is not for the mechanicly inept! :-)

Old 07-04-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I don't want to get into any bashing or comparisons. However, for the record, this will be my second summer on my Griz, and its never overheated! I went out riding all day yesterday in 95 degree weather and it didn't over heat. In 98 when they first came out they were supposed to have some overheating problems. I ride with two other guys on Grizzlys both are 2000 models, and they have never had a problem with overheating. Just wanted to set the record straight. Beyond that who cares what you ride, as long as your enjoying yourself!

Rick

Old 07-05-2001, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

<< GrizRick said: Beyond that who cares what you ride, as long as you're enjoying yourself. >>

I could not have said it better.