Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

It's no wonder Polaris suck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 11:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MudStud,

I think you'll be in for a rude awakening if you are buying a Raptor for reliability. All you have to do is to go to the Yamaha forum and just look at all of it's problems. Bad gears, blown carbs, weak clutch, and weaker axles. Not exactly the standard bearer for reliability, those Raptors. Some how I don't think you'll be happy with it.

Old 07-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

Since the Raptor is such a new bike, I am not surprised. Has anyone heard of any trouble with the Cannondale?

Old 07-06-2001, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

I agree the Raptor sounds like crap, I guess they have to have 1 piece of garbage, atleast there's only 1 so far, hopefully the new Grizzly will be better than that.
As for the mileage thing, most of those bikes have had engine work done, lets not let the bull???? get to thick here again. Most of the people I ride with or talk too will defend there bike, its normal but when we count dollar for dollar on breakage well its not comparable. This is my 3rd yam and they've all stood up to major abuse without problems. It's time to admit in the reliable department HONDA and YAMAHA rule.
Buy what you want but read up and compare and realize before purchasing. I didn't start this forum, Polaris owners did because there fed up of spending money.

Old 07-06-2001, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yam8,
As for my problems with the Xplorer?Yah,I have had a few,never ever been stranded though.I dont suppose you can contribute any of my problems to how I ride though?I mean,not passing up any mud holes is just what EVERY 4x4 ATV cherishes to do,especailly the chain driven ones.And snow plowing 16 inches of snow for 10 hrs straight is real good to?Towing PU trucks back to the parking lot at the local riding area is one way to make sure your swing arm bushings stay tight for a LONG time to?Pulling a 17cf trailor loaded with wet wood up steep/muddy hills for 2 days plays no factor in wearing out parts either?

You can sell the reliability of the past Grizz's to someone else,I've seen more Grizz's broke down and having problems than any other ATV made.

And,
I'd like to take you up on your bet about beating up a Polaris like you do the Grizz?You WONT be towing me home,you'd not be able to keep up!

Bill

Old 07-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have known Honda ranchers to seize up on the trail for no apparent reason. I have known 450es's to smoke even after 3 rebuilds. About 1/2 the grizzlies I have seen leak oil from the crank case. I have seen numerous 450s with broken rear u-joints and some with cracked crankcases due to the broken u-joints. I have seen banshees with 20 minutes on a new motor seize up. I have seen Big Bears seize up due to the little weak oil line connections that break. Almost every atv with drum breaks that goes into water needs constant brake repair.

It scared the hell out of me the first time I went to Ford_diesel.com. It seems that message boards attract two kinds of people. Those that have problems and those that are enthusiatic about the topic. This thread was started and out of the 1800 memeber, 5-10 posted their horror stories. That does not mean that Polaris is Junk. That means that these 5-10 guys had extremely bad luck. I had more trouble out of my 98Grizzly than I have had out of my 2000SP500. Does that make the Grizzly junk?... Nope, but that log wagon suspension didn't help things (Had to say that) The point is that you should take all this for what it is worth. I do feel sorry for the guys that have had problems, and I hope they are happier with the brand they choose. I have ridden just about every bike on the market, and have owned more than my share, an I am satisfied with the SP500 and my HO. In my opinion, the only contender is the new Grizzly which I may buy when I get ready to purchase another quad. That does not mean that I think it is better than the HO. It is different than the HO.

OK... I am through venting now.

Greg

Old 07-07-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

i tried to email you mudstud, but it said that it was delaying the email, did you get anything, try emailing me jswenson@hotmail.com

Old 07-08-2001, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

15,000 miles, huh. I wonder what kind of a pick-up it was riding in?