Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tired of Walking....need my Sportsman 400 to run.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP! Can anyone help me get my Sportsman 400 torn apart. I am new to the two stroke world. I have rebuilt V8's autos and 4 stroke hondas, but never a two stroke. My Sportsman has been sitting up for about a year and even the mechanics who know what they are doing will not touch it. I want to do it myself, but dont think I have the equipment needed, especially a clutch puller. Will standard pullers work or do I need to buy a special puller? Is there an issue with the timing of the engine? Please help, as my wallet can't stand to pay Polaris to fix it. They wanted $600 to $1000 and I already have the parts except for the crank bearings. I need to polish the crank, had my piston to break apart down in the engine. Also a hole in the cylinder wall(will replace it). I am using a wiseco piston for replacement. Any help will be appreciated.
Telephoneguy

Old 07-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

You could'nt have written this post at a better time, I got done rebuilding a trailboss 250 2 stroke with a broken piston, this is what I did:

After tare down of the top end I had the cylinder bored to the next size up (.020 over), machined the head cuz of the knicks from the bashed up piston.

To split the crank you need a flywheel puller and a primary clutch puller ($80.00 atypical) don't use regular puller on the primary clutch assembly or breakage will result.

After thoughs two parts are removed undo the bolts on the casing and with a pickle fork and hammer carefully tap around the seam with the hammer and pry apart with the pickle fork.

OK the crank is removed to press the bearings off your going to need a bearing seperator and an arbor press ( two of the most important tools in this rebuild). Also you'll need them to press out the bearings inside the casing.

After that press on new bearings and seals, and start assembling (the opposite of the dissembly).

GOOD LUCK!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 07-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the info...does the clutch puller thread in or just press against the inside of the shaft? polaris is def different than anything else i have worked on.....i guess that is why other people arent jumping to work on them. do you have to time it or does it stay the same when going back together? i know some of this will come to me as i work on it. i have the rest of the summer though...lol
thanks

Old 07-05-2001, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

What's wrong with the crank. Usually just the top end needs a rebuild on two strokes.

Old 07-05-2001, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

the piston cracked and parts fell down into the crankcase. i was told that the bottom end needed cleaning out. i have no choice now, as the last person that had it left it out in the weather and the rod and crank are rusted and full of water(wonderful mechanic). so i have to take it all the way down. brand new stuff for me. i think i will get a manual. will it tell me what i need to know? or does it just cover the basics?
thanks

Old 07-05-2001, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Telephoneguy, if you have worked on cars and are mechanically inclined you won't have any problems. I was the same way, worked on alot of muscle cars in my day but hadn't touched a 2 stroke engine til I bought this quad. You're better off doing it yourself if you can so you know it's done right. The Polaris service manual lays it out for you but it's kinda pricey, I think mine was like $75. If you need any info just email me and I can scan the pages out of the manual for you. If you want I can email them to you or load them out to the internet for you to look at if you need them.

Old 07-05-2001, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the pages that I will need. Once again it is a 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400. I need to tear it down completely. If you could send me what I need to stjenn@bellsouth.net I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Steve