Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV show on OLN

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001 | 12:53 PM
jim
|
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan, I was really pissed I missed the show that night but after ready your post about it, I feel much better now. Thanks,I didn't miss a thing. I think Doug Myers is probably a pretty good rider, has lots of experience & is probably not as simple minded as he might seem. He is probably gearing the show, most of the time, towards those who have no idea about quads. I guess he is really limited on how much you can actually say about a utility quad so he's searching for stuff to talk about & then we get the dumb comments. If it were a sport quad he could show drag race runs, jumping, high speed cornering etc which I'm waiting for him to do on the new Cannondale. I have & also ride utility quads so dont get me wrong but watching utilities covered on TV is as boring as watching grass grow & by comparison I thought the Adalante GP coverage was really great. That was the show where those guys were trying to clear that HUGE mud puddle after a big jump & if you didnt' clear it you either went over the front from the sudden stop or like the guy on the DS got bounced off which they show all the time now, or the guy after the whoops holding his Banshee wide open until he got flipped off the back & him & the quad rolled down the track or the 400EX rider going over the bars on the whoops. Now that entertainment!!! It seems like they are trying to please everyone which is impossible as we know. I like sport quads & racing but the next guy likes watching the grass grow & utilites. Some times it's race sport coverage & then it's the slow rock crawling utility stuff. I'm happy that theres at least something on about quads. I have a Suzuki King Quad but dont ride it that much for fun riding but use it ALLOT for work, plowing, dirt pushing, hauling etc.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 07-12-2001 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

jim

I would have to agree with you. I own a sport quad and a utility quad and would much rather ride the sport quad. I taped the show on the Adalante GP and accidentally taped over it. When it was rerun a few weeks ago, I retaped it and rewatched it. It was definetly one of his better shows. That guy wrecking his banshee just rolled me. I will try not to tape over it this time. You are right, the utility show get old real quick. Especially the many episodes of slow rock crawling. Not cutting down that kind of riding, just not my cup of tea. Sometimes I wonder why I watch this show (especially after this weeks episode), but then I remember that there is nothing else on worth watching and at least this is about atvs. I agree that Doug Meyer is a good rider and knows a lot about atvs, I just think he lets his personal opinions and his sponsor money get in the way of making objective statements. Realizing that he is based in California, I also wish he would come east for a few shows. How about a show on Wayne National Forest, or the Hatfield-McCoy trail, or a mud bogg fest in Texas. Now that would be a show!

Old 07-12-2001 | 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Re;ATV TELEVISION AND DOUG MEYER
I too frequently watch this show and 4X4 Television wich is another of Doug's shows. He is soo partial to his prarie which he rides in every episode and Kawa in general. The episode on the new 660 4x4 with their technical person to help him was 30min of brainwash. Anything to do with Honda also is treated with nothing but admiration. When he spent the better part of five minutes explaining how the exhaust note on the Recon was so special it was sickening. I haven't written him but once because the guy does have two programs dealing with my favorite topics and as far as I know on the channels I get they are the only ones. I wrote in this forum when he came to a little ledge with water coming over and he "tried" to get over it with a SP500 and backed back down---He then went over on a Rancher and bragged how the front differential was so great. Well you will just have to watch it yourself to get the full effect. If you own a Honda or a Kawa you'll probably really like the program. By the way when he did the Polaris company shindig and was photographed riding everything they made he was still carefull not to be too complementary. He did two episodes that I can think of at Honda. His glowing commentary about reliability, low center of gravity, and the direct powertrain sounded like he was doing a commercial for them. Oh well! I guess I have done my venting now.

Gardner10