Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pipe for 1998 Trailblazer. Please Help Little Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001 | 09:50 PM
|
Range Rover

I have been searching for a while and have found 4 companies that make pipes for the Trailblazer. The companies are DG, Ritter Cycle, Hot Seat, and FTR. Does anyone have experience with these pipes? Which pipe do you get the most horsepower with? Do you have to have anything with these pipes besides an aftermarket air filter and to re-jet it? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-10-2001 | 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

You failed to mention the best one, HPD. Save yourself a lot of humiliation by getting ill fitting parts, and go with HPD.

Old 07-11-2001 | 12:07 PM
|
Range Rover

What do you mean by "ill fitting parts"? Does HPD have a website so i can contact them? How much horsepower does it add? Thanks quadfather.

Old 07-11-2001 | 12:30 PM
|
Range Rover

Nevermind about the site I found it. The pipe looks very good. Except one thing. It says clutch kit needed. Is that all I'll need besides the k&n filter? I know I'll have to rejet it. With other companies will all I need is just the k&n and to rejet it? Or will i need the clutch kit with them too? Please help I'm new to the pipe thing. I'm just going to have my dealer do it for me. Again please help. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-11-2001 | 02:09 PM
WJW
Trailblazer

When you put on a pipe you change the flow of exhaust from your motor, This changes the rpm the motor makes it's horse power at this is why you will need a clutch kit & jet change. The clutch kit to put your motor into the new rpm range the pipe gave you, and the jets to change the fuel for the higher air flow the pipe gave.
As for pipes I put the DG on a blazer (1997) and it was too loud for my liking, I ride with a guy that has the Aaen pipe and it is quiet & makes added hp (maybe not as high as some but the noise level is low).

Old 07-11-2001 | 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

TBkid:

I've had experiences with a couple other pipe manufacturers, and they were a nightmare. Nothing fit right, and the pipes sounded like a can full of nickles while idling. I then switched to HPD, and was amazed at the performance gains and the fit and finish.

You can get an HPD pipe, and the MSA spark arrestor silencer. This combo produces a nice, lower, throaty sound. It isn't obnoxiously loud at all. Add the clutch kit ($80), and a Uni-Filter(around $15-$20), and you'll be amazed at the results.

Old 07-11-2001 | 04:31 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks quadfather and WJW. Quadfather: Do the HDP Pipe and the MSA spark arrestor and silencer come together? Is this all I need? I know i'll have to rejet it. I already have a K&N Filter. Will this work? Does the clutch kit do anything besides put my motor in the same RPM as the pipe? And what EXACTLY is a clutch kit? My motor will still be automatic right? My dealer should put this all together for me right? Will I have to put any special gas in the quad after I do this? I put in regular now. And Last but not least, can I order these products off line? I really don't like ordering on line. Thanks again. Any help will be appreciated. I'm glad you brought HPD to my attention. Oh and last again they make a trail pipe for it right? That's what i want.

Old 07-11-2001 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

The pipe is one part and there are a few different silencers that will fit it , the MSA is the quietest choice and has a spark arrestor built in . The carburetor jets will come with the pipe . The clutch kit consists of new springs and weghts , it adjusts the clutch to take advantage of the new power band , the engine will operate at a higher RPM where the power will be after adding a pipe . A trailblazer can be prone to detonation , I would spend a little more and run premium in it for the little extra it would cost . HpD does offer a trail pipe for your machine . One more thing , make sure they know the YEAR of the machine , the 99 and up models take a different pipe . All this can be installed at home with a good snapring pliers and a little help from someone who is familiar with basic mechanics , all the parts come with nice instructions .

Old 07-11-2001 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

TrailBlazer kid:

Call this number, 618-644-3211. Ask to speak to the owner. He is one of, if not the, most knowledgeable people when it comes to Polaris machines. He can answer all of your questions, and more. He can get you all of the parts you need. Like Mr. Ritter said, you will want to run at least 92 octane gas after the mods are complete.

Old 07-12-2001 | 01:05 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks to everyone for helping me.