Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt Life on Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with chickenman, put it in low range and your belt will last longer.

Old 01-20-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No fair... Chicken Man and Harold read the owners manual. Where it says to use low range if you will be doing heavy work or driving under 7MPH.

Personally I changed the belt on my Sportsman 400 at 3000 miles. Didn't have to just did it. After pulling the cover to inspect it. I figured why not change it.

I was with my brother-in-law when he blew the belt on his Sportsman 500 with EBS. He had 1250 miles on the machine and I don't think that it ever had been put in low range. It was strange when it (literally blew up.) it disintegrated into pieces no larger than 6 inches per piece. The pieces flew everywhere inside the cover, including up the intake tube tube only to drop down later and bounce around inside the housing, and sometimes get into the new belt and pulleys. So when you change a belt make sure to clean the ventilation system out.

I have never had enough traction to "smoke" a belt. The tires have always broken loose first. However I did break a front chain and sprocket by towing a Mazda off of a sand dune. (no financial assistance offered by the driver who avoided a towing bill from a wrecking company) BTW that was the last of my heavy duty towing. Now when I see those situations I sympathize with the drivers only, rather than throwing my machine into the fray. I'll tow ATVs but trucks are too much.

Now I have smoked snowmobile belts when the machine was frozen to the ground or the parking brake inadvertently applied.

So it seems that drive belt life is longer on non EBS machines but brake pad life is shorter on non EBS machines.
Doggone it Polaris is making money off of us either way!!