Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

UNBIASED OPINION 250R vs BANSHEE !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ride woods , roads , and hit alot of jumps . i weigh 120 and im 14 , with that information which one do you think i should get ? sorry to ask this question in the polaris forum but i need an unbiased opinion , and also whichever one i get needs to be able to beat a polaris scambler 400 4x4 that is piped and has a clutch kit . ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] thanks !

Old 07-16-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Either one should suit those needs.
The Yamaha can make a lot more power with the right mods, but has a slightly odd feel to me when rideing. Kind of makes my knees hit my arms, or it feels that way.
The Honda would be the better jumper and short track race bike.
Lots of aftermarket for either one. Find a good deal and go for it.
(Probably more Banshees for sale and easier to find)

Old 07-16-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well ,,, here's the deal .
The Honda is the better bike overall , but where are you going to find a good one ? Used 250R's are usually victims of 11 years of torture or fully redone trailer queens that can sell for over $5000 .

If I wanted to get a bike to ride and was wanting one of those two machines , I would get a banshee. I am an old geezer that just prefers to open things up in a smooth straight line and a banshee does that real well ( I ride like old poeple errr....... run) . A banshee with pipes and your light weight body should out run most piped 400 Polaris machines , especially over 30mph.

So , in short , get a good clean banshee , save your self the headaches of a worn out 250R and ride the banshee till the crank shaft lets go .

Are you really gonna get one of these or is this just wishfull thinking ?

Old 07-16-2001, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

this is no wishful thinkink BS i m really gonna get one probably the banshee . im just worried that if i sell my 250X now then i wont find a good banshhee for a awhile and that will mean no riding for the whole summer . so i put it up for trade if i find someone to buy it and a good banshee around the same time i wil get it .

Old 07-16-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Killer,

I have never ridden the 250r, but I have gotten A LOT of seat time on Banshees.

The Banshee isn't a bad bike at all. My neighbor has owned several over the passed 8 years or so, and we mainly trail ride. Despite what a lot of people say, his have been really reliable. Thinking back, I can't remember him ever having a problem with any of them (except all of them had one front tire that wouldn't hold air [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). However, he doesn't ride his extremely hard. He'll take it out and hammer the throttle and stuff, but he goes fairly easy over jumps. So basically, I can't tell you how their suspension holds up to a lot of hard riding in that aspect.

If I was to complain about one thing on the Banshee (besides having to kick start it and not having reverse), it would have to be that they don't have the greatest low end power. Mid Range and Top End are awesome though, and pinning that thing wide open in third gear is quite a rush.

Since I have had my Sport (piped and clutched) I have raced his 1998 Banshee and his 2001 Banshee (they both only had K&N's). In a straight line I can really smoke him until about 40-50mph, but then I look back and he is gaining. He probably passes me when I am at about 63mph or so, and can just eat me up from there (he tops out at 72-74).

Please keep in mind that he is the only guy I have ever raced with a Banshee, so I don't know if these results are typical or not. He has raced other people on Banshee's and tied, or won, so I'm guessing he can drive. Either way, take it as you wish.

So basically, with that said, I can give you my overall opinion...The Banshee is a good quad, even for trail riding (although it's obviously not the best, but good enough from what I have seen). You won't find much that can beat one on a dirt road, or open field. If I were to find one for a good price, I would have no trouble buying one.

I wish that I knew more about the 250r, but I guess a few things are obvious. They are a better MX quad for sure...jumping, and handling. I'd imagine that they have pretty good low end power since they are so popular in MX. Which leads me to believe that they would go better at trail speeds than the Banshee. So if they have the same ground clearence as the Shee, they might be a better choice for you if you are going to be riding the trails a lot. Stock for Stock though, the Banshee is faster in a straight line on top end.

Like Rick said, nice 250r's are selling for huge ammounts of $$$$. What kind of shape is your friends in?

If I had the choice between a 250r in Good (running) condition, and a Banshee in good condition, I would pick the 250r, even though I only know bits and pieces about them and have never even driven one. I think a 250r with 400ex plastic on it would be sweet.

Well, hopefully something I said helped.

-Josh

Old 07-16-2001, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

my friends is a total bone ! but still fast , also will the banshee be fouling plugs all the time or what .

Old 07-16-2001, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

If its jetted right it shouldnt foul plugs very often at all.. Plus they are only like $2 so who cares?

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

my dad says " honda has the best reliability" . ALSO i cant find a banshee for $2500 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2001, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Dad is right , as a general rule hondas are dependable . But a banshee will give good service very comparable to the honda you are thinking about getting . Condition of the bike is the important thing .

If it were me , I'd get a banshee . For my goofy riding style and lack of talent all I really care to do is rev the thing and row the gearbox on flat, wide , smooth field roads . Good riders usually prefer 250r's .

Old 07-17-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

My honest opinion is keep your 250X. Don't worry about beating the Scrambler right now. Your 250X can hang pretty close to it so leave it at that. If you're only 14 you probably don't have alot of cash to pour into a quad. I would say any 250R for $2500 would require some bucks be put into it. You could find an older Banshee for that price but once again are you ready to rebuild that 2 stroke engine and they require more maintenance than your 250X. A reliable quad that runs good is probably best for someone your age that doesn't have the bucks to put into keeping a quad running. I know having the fastest quad may seem important to you right now but there will always be someone with a faster one. I say keep the 250X for awhile and save up for that 400EX.

Quick Reply: UNBIASED OPINION 250R vs BANSHEE !!