Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you post your clutch results?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you found that works best for the sportsman 00 500? Does it hurt it? noticible power increase?

Old 07-16-2001, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 99 500cc Sportsman with a complete clutch kit from Erlandson for 159 dollars plus 65 bucks to install it.It did not help very much in my opionion.The engagement speed was raised slightly,but you can get the same results from replacing the primary spring for only 25 dollars.

I had a Hot Seat clutch kit on my 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4.It seemed to be the better of the two kits.I was talked into the new Heel Clickers clutch kit from Super Torquer.Cost was 184 dollars plus installation.I paid for installation twice because my mechanic did not notice that my primary clutch was worn at the bottom of the sheeves when he installed the HC kit the first time.I did not gripe about paying for re-installing [65 bucks]the HCs on a new EBS primary because my mechanic got Polaris to buy the new EBS primary for me.So all in all,I wound up paying 2 hrs of installion [130 dollars]plus 184 dollars for the HC kit.Add this all up and it comes to 314 dollars for the HC kit and installation.LOTS OF MONEY!

The HC kit is STILL not right.Jack Schultz said that there will be some problems with this kit,and he appearantly is correct.I lost the low end I had with the Hot Seat kit.I griped about that and they give ME a stiffer primary spring to install.That helped a LITTLE,but I was still not happy,the Hot Seat kit hit harder from the low end.So last wk,my mechanic and I installed another stiffer primary spring,now this thing REALLY revs before taking off,but thats ok with me,it sure helped out alot.Im just wondering if I could of acheived the same results with a stiffer spring in the Hot Seat kit and avoided all this extra money??

Now I have a HUGE hole in the bottom of my clutch cover,something Jack Schultz said WOULD happen.The swing on the HC kit is farther,this is causing the weights to hit the cover a little.Sure,I have a higher top end now,but that does me no good in the mud with a hole sitting in the bottom of the cover.I contacted Randy at Super Torquer by e-mail and he better be thinking about buying me another belt cover and finding out how to make this problem go away?My guess is that he will somehow adjust the swing on the HCs so they dont swing out as far,but that is going to take away from my top end speed a little,if so,than I will really question the validity and cost of this kit on ATVs?

I am only the second person to have this problem with a hole in their clutch cover,so it has not been a serious problem for most.Now dont get me wrong,this kit definately hits noticable harder than either the Erlandson or Hot Seat clutch kits,but for 314 dollars,I dont expect these problems.I also found out that MY QUAD was used as a Guinie Pig.You see,this was the first time Super Torquer had installed this HC kit on an Xplorer.Im not real THRILLED about finding that out.

The results have been real good on the Sportsmans,but I would DEFINATELY talk to Randy at SUPERTORQUER.COM before ordering a kit for your Polaris to make sure your quad is not the next Guinie pig.

So far,im disappointed in the problems and all the costs that I've encounterd with this kit.Hope Super Torquer hears me and helps me out.

I plan to keep you guys up to date,

Bill

Old 07-16-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill --

I really feel sorry for you. I hope you can get your atv back in riding order soon. I can be a "nasty s.o.b." on occasion, sometimes more often than not. But, you are approaching this performance thing on your atv totally wrong.

You need to have a plan to start. Good, sound basics that work well. You don't want to be a "pioneer", unless you always want your *** full of arrows. Unfortunately, it seems that you are constantly taking on too many arrows because you get off the beaten path thru the woods and listen to the hype.

There are no "magic" performance add-ons/ that give more power, speed or quickness. Sure, there is lot of hype by some and even some users who want to "sound" like they have the perfect combination. "They don't." Most new innovations require lots of trial and error testing and money to become close to fruitful, if they even help at all.

I have several clutch kits on my shelf that plain and simple, "just don't work", never have, never will, but there are people out there buying them every day and swearing that they are the "best". It's like they won't admit the that they were wrong, or simply don't know any better and have gone by the seat of their pants thinking it's better and have bought into the hype.

You deserve better, but only if you change your thinking about being a pioneer.

Good Luck! Lets talk again sometime . . . don't feel bad, it happens.

Jack Schultz
www.GoDigital-Design.com/SchultzMotorsports

Old 07-17-2001, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jack,
I thank you for a very pleasant post.I told you and others that I would post the results on the Heel Clickers kit in honest way,whether it benifits the kit or not.I gave the good as well as the bad.In no way have I gained the ''HYPED'' performance gains like 40% more low end that was advertised.I cant give anything except a seat of the pants feel on top end because the ATV would allways bury the speedo.My performance has increased more than either the Erlandson clutch kit or Hot Seat kit,but im still questioning whether the costs really offset the performance gains?

The hole on the bottom of the cover has me pretty pissed to.And when they finally fix it so I dont blow holes in my cover,im sure that my performance gains will go down as well? Randy at Super Torquer was questioned about the EBS on my ATV,he NOW claims that it will rob some power.He did'nt admit to that earlier when asked.

All in all,I still have some huge concerns about this kit?Perhaps I gave into the Hype associated with this kit?My low end has not ever been what I'd like it to be,so all this hype sounded like what I needed.A Pioneer?Perhaps,A Guinie Pig?Definately!

Bill

Old 07-17-2001, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Jack is absolutely correct. Clutching will not increase your power but if done right it will increase power to the ground and change its delivery. The main reason for my clutch kit is simply my tires and porting, and when pulling or in sticky mud I want that machine to engage at a higher rpm. And really you can do that with only the drive spring. However if your motor makes enough power to "zing" (run at an rpm above the operating range) the stock weights, you want to try and lug the motor down some. You do this by putting heavier weights in the clutch, which causes the motor to work in its operating rpm. So this is exactly why clutch kits actually only work correctly on modded motors. If you have a stock machine all you need to do is change the spring but if you get into mods then invest in a good clutch kit. By the way personnally I like HPD's roller drum conversion and trail kit.

Old 07-17-2001, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Now, what should I do?
I want to wake up the wheeler.. I am not expecting black and white differance, I want more thotal responce and hole shot. Along with the power to keep them wheels turning fast in the mud to power the 27" Outlaws....Soon to get.
What i have right now is a 162.5 main jet with a k&n and the green spring. I did notice a BIG differance, not so much on top end or acceleration, but in plain power in the mud, when i hit it it sped up in the mud and it did not seem to bog down. That was my primary plan. It kept going in the mud. I would like a fater take off.
I am REALLY intrested in the roller clutch from HPD? Is there a better option for the rear?
I am thinking about the HC for the front. Not quite sure what to make from your issues. HOTSEAT? HPD? to they really differ??
How does that Rollor drum conversion work? i know the buttons will now roll but what does that give me?
What should i expect from either kit?
What should i expect from Both? this is of course the plan to get both.. I really appreciate all responces and future ones.

Old 07-17-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

The roller drum conversion eliminates almost all friction in the driven clutch. Thus creating faster throttle response, near instant backshifting, and faster more agressive up shift. I have grown fond of HPD as a reliable source for parts. As far as fit I would give my vote to them. And as long as they don't lie in the dyno charts, they are one of the only companies that make good power gains in the operating rpm. As a parts guy I would recomend there clutching to any of my customers. I was a big Hotseat fan until last winter. They made both a 800 XCR and a 600 Edge X slower with their mods. Seat of the pants felt good, but everybody knows that means nothing. Same machines stock beat them both, lol. I have basically given up on that company as far as engine and clutch mods. AAEN is great for knowledge and power but there fit so far to me has sucked. I don't mean to bad mouth any company but when a customer asks for an honest opinion, I will tell them what I've seen. Anyway good luck with your choice and give all the companies a call, for the most part they are honest, but remember they ae salesmen at heart.