Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Saturday Polaris Riding.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigdevil,

Here is some advice from a fellow Pa rider. If you ride alot in winter, march on down to the Polaris dealer and get yourself some heated grips. They work wonders in the cold!

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

<A HREF="http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html">MIKE & CELESTE'S ATV PAGE </A>

[This message has been edited by Mike Chero (edited 01-22-2000).]

Old 01-22-2000, 06:15 AM
Range Rover

Im ready to ride. Right now in las vegas we are experiencing 70 degree temps. Hell i might even ride in a t-shirt you know get my farmers tan going!

Old 01-22-2000, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

Big Devil,

I like Mike's idea for heated grips but I am a skinflint, sometimes, and had an old set of generic snowmobile handlebar booties. They cover the bars from the base of the brake lever/throttle out...and keep me warm, when combined with a common set of ski gloves. (snowmobile gloves are thicker and reduce your grip to the bars)

Anything above 35 degrees and I wear thin leather hand gloves with finger cut offs...these booties will stay on til spring/warm weather!

(And in tight trails, they reduce the pain associated with frozen branches and high speeds)

------------------
Rich Weinssen 1999 Scrambler 500 2000 Scrambler 500 2000 Trail Boss 1998 Magnum 425

Old 01-22-2000, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Were we ride in northern Wisconsin we consider just about any conditions ridable with the right clothing, except extreme heat, dust and black flies. We still ride in that but it’s uncomfortable no matter how you dress.

Last week my wife and I spent four days riding the sled trails in Iron County. We ride these same trails every-other weekend from April to X-mas even though we’re legal to ride year-round there, but in past years we’ve given the trails up to the sleds through the dead of winter. Because of their speed and numbers I’ve always been a little apprehensive about being on the same trail with sleds in the peak of their season. Our favorite trails are rocky, muddy and have areas of rack-deep open water 3 seasons of the year. For sled travel they need at least a foot and a half of snow and plenty of cold up there to freeze the open water and cover all the rocks and stumps we ride over. That’s usually not a problem because they’re in the Lake Superior Snow Belt. Still, unless you’re following a groomer, some of these trails are just miles of dips.

My assumptions about riding with the sleds were pleasantly proven wrong. On the rougher trails, while they were beating themselves silly, with our long travel suspension we were havin’ a blast gettin’ air off every-other mogul. While their speeds were reduced, ours were greatly increased compared to snowless conditions, so much so that I ran my Sportsman out of gas for the first time(s) on two of the four days we rode. For speed, were only disadvantaged in the straight-aways where we would always courteously let them pass us. In the almost 230 tail miles we logged on that trip we only saw one other quad. My other concern, that we would be seriously unwelcome, was a misjudgment too. Most of the sledders viewed us with astonished curiosity. Their reactions to seeing wheeled machines on the trails ranged from snobbish indifference to astonishment to smiles, thumbs up and applause. Most were courteous and friendly, especially those (most) who were lost and happy to have the benefit of my accurate directions.

The temps ranged from a high of 30 one day, which had us peeling off layers, to lows of –10, with mid-teens common during the day. If we were uncomfortable at all it was usually due to not being able to escape the wind. We don’t stop at bars like the sledders do, preferring to pack our own “refreshments.” Our rides usually start late morning, we build a fire and break out chili to cook on a little camp stove just before dusk, and we enjoy a long ride home in the dark (we love night ridin’). We were out 11 ½ hours one day.

If you’re legal on sled trails where you are I encourage you to get out there. Just exercise the same degree of caution you would knowing there may be other fast quads on the same trail. Our machines aren’t much wider than a pair of their skis and because we sit higher our lights are actually more visible. Unless you’re on a flat trail the speed difference isn’t significant. While the sledders were complaining of rough trails were having a great time. It was a fantastic trip and we plan to repeat the experience again soon.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 01-22-2000, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

John D J

I grew up riding snowmobiles, and still have a Cat ZRT, an El Tigre 6000 and a Jag 440 in my garage. In the Poconos, there hasn't been a chance to ride a snowmachine yet this season.

All my friends have evolved to where they travel to Canada and Michigan for 10-14 day riding trips.

When I grew up riding, there was snow in the poconos for most of the winter. Not anymore.

So while I LOVE snowmobiles, I HATE being desperate for snow.

I liked your comment, "If you like quads, you will definately like snowmobiles" because I have been using that comment in reverse with all these guys who spend a fortune to travel for their snow opportunities.

And many of these guys have quads, but they have big ol bulky Utility machines. They ride sport snowmobiles, but have selected big ol bulky utes. They say "Yea, we know about quads" but they don't. One by one, I get them on the Scramblers, and they become converts.

Where do you live to be able to play on that Ski doodoo? (Cat fan here )

Rich

------------------
Rich Weinssen 1999 Scrambler 500 2000 Scrambler 500 2000 Trail Boss 1998 Magnum 425

Old 01-22-2000, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

Its now -5 degrees here with a -40 degree wind chill. I've ridden on colder days. You definitely dress in layers. Its not bad providing you keep the wind out of those separations in clothing, like the wrists and especially the neck area. Goggles help keep the eyes from tearing and freezing on your cheeks.