Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electronic throttle control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Pull the limiter wire first. If it runs the same,then you may have to go into the carb to check it out.
Ok I pulled the black wire and running the same. I pulled the carb and cleaned it at work today. I should note that I pulled the fuel line off the petcock and the inside of the hose looks pretty crummy. I actually think the previous owner used air hose for fuel line. I went to auto zone and bought six feet of fuel line and a new inline filter. I'm going to replace all fuel lines as I reinstall the carb. Is the fuel pump cleanable or do I have to replace it? Also, do I need to prime the fuel pump? If so , how?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just crank the engine over to see if the pump is working ok.Should be a steady stream of fuel.Fuel pump uses the carb vacuum to prime. The black crap in the hose was probably bits of fuel hose that the crappy ethanol can eat up over time. If these bits get into the carb they can block fuel from getting to the needle valve or restrict flow to it. That could be part of your problem. Make sure the carb passages are clean along with the jets. If new hoses and filters don't make that good of an improvement,you might think about a good carb kit.NEW SHINDY CARBURETOR CARB REBUILD/REPAIR KIT FOR POLARIS 425 MAGNUM 1995-98 | eBay Also as far as cleaning a pump,cheap as they are you can replace them if needed.Fuel Pump Fit XPEDITION 325 425 Sportsman Magnum Outlaw Trail Boss Scrambler | eBay

Old 04-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Just crank the engine over to see if the pump is working ok.Should be a steady stream of fuel.Fuel pump uses the carb vacuum to prime. The black crap in the hose was probably bits of fuel hose that the crappy ethanol can eat up over time. If these bits get into the carb they can block fuel from getting to the needle valve or restrict flow to it. That could be part of your problem. Make sure the carb passages are clean along with the jets. If new hoses and filters don't make that good of an improvement,you might think about a good carb kit.NEW SHINDY CARBURETOR CARB REBUILD/REPAIR KIT FOR POLARIS 425 MAGNUM 1995-98 eBay Also as far as cleaning a pump,cheap as they are you can replace them if needed.Fuel Pump Fit XPEDITION 325 425 Sportsman Magnum Outlaw Trail Boss Scrambler eBay
Thanks. Ya i was looking at them on ebay last night. Putting everything back together now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=Miketerk;3357623]Thanks. Ya i was looking at them on ebay last night. Putting everything back together now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again[/QUO
I changed all the fuel lines and put the new inline filter on. I took the petcock off the tank and the mesh filter was packed with debris so I cleaned it. I put about 2 bucks worth of gas in it and ran it on reserve and it was running rough at first but as the fuel level got lower, the better the quad ran. I ran it dry and filled it up again. As of now it's running like a new machine. I don't know how or why but I'll take it ! It's still a little rich but not like before. I'm learning alot about Polaris but man are they finicky.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Run it for awhile and see if it clears up.If it's still running rich I'd still think about getting the carb kit.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Run it for awhile and see if it clears up.If it's still running rich I'd still think about getting the carb kit.
Well we can scratch my last post. Was running great for about an hour then it started sputtering and backfiring through the carb. Now it's hard starting. I'm waiting to hear exactly what I don't want to hear......the dreaded camshaft replacement...

Old 04-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the lobe looks like this one compared to a new one,then yes that can be the main problem.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community Always replace the exhaust rocker arm also. Here's an example,but you can check around for the best price.POLARIS MAGNUM 425 2X4 4X4 6X6 CAM SHAFT CAMSHAFT EXHAUST ROCKER ARM 1995-1998

Old 04-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

If the lobe looks like this one compared to a new one,then yes that can be the main problem.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community Always replace the exhaust rocker arm also. Here's an example,but you can check around for the best price.POLARIS MAGNUM 425 2X4 4X4 6X6 CAM SHAFT CAMSHAFT EXHAUST ROCKER ARM 1995-1998
I have been denying that but suspecting it for awhile now. On the other hand, I guess it's kinda like giving the thing a heart transplant. I'm still going to rebuild the carb too though. How big of a job is the cam replacement? I've never done one before. Is it something I can do in a few hours or should I take it in? I love the Magnum or I wouldn't have dumped all the money into it that I have so far. The previous owner really dropped the ball with this quad as far as maintenance goes but by the time I'm done it should be in good shape.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I have a way to do it without pulling the flywheel and stator but you have to be careful. This is the simplest way to replace the cam and time it up.Have the piston at tdc. The thermostat housing has to be pulled to get to the cam cover plate.Remove the cam cover and the square plate on the right hand side to get to the chain and sprocket. Remove the tensioner also. The three bolts in the cam sprocket can be remove and it and the chain can drop down away from the cam.Then remove the rocker arm support blocks. Then the cam be removed from the left side.Insert the cam in and lower crank sprocket at the tdc mark gets the single plated link,the two plated links align with the two dots on the cam sprocket.The cam is in time this way. Tensioner shaft needs to be pushed all the way in. Once the recoil is used to turn the engine over slowly,the tensioner will self adjust.Hopefully these pics from another member can help also. If still confused,the manual can help.
https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250

Attached Thumbnails Electronic throttle control?
-2011-05-21_125845_00_polaris_500_cam_timing.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have a way to do it without pulling the flywheel and stator but you have to be careful. This is the simplest way to replace the cam and time it up.Have the piston at tdc. The thermostat housing has to be pulled to get to the cam cover plate.Remove the cam cover and the square plate on the right hand side to get to the chain and sprocket. Remove the tensioner also. The three bolts in the cam sprocket can be remove and it and the chain can drop down away from the cam.Then remove the rocker arm support blocks. Then the cam be removed from the left side.Insert the cam in and lower crank sprocket at the tdc mark gets the single plated link,the two plated links align with the two dots on the cam sprocket.The cam is in time this way. Tensioner shaft needs to be pushed all the way in. Once the recoil is used to turn the engine over slowly,the tensioner will self adjust.Hopefully these pics from another member can help also. If still confused,the manual can help.
https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250
Thanks for your instructions. I always look forward to your replies. I think I can handle the job. Might take me all day , but I'll tackle it. Can I make gaskets out of permatex or is it better to buy them?

Quick Reply: Electronic throttle control?