Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! Can't decide on mud tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted the outlaws but i saw a pair of 26x12x12 mudrunners and i thought the looked sweet! they hang over the rim on like the stocks that are even with the rim.... Just need some help deciding! How much do they all differ? what do you have? what tires are better then yours?

Old 07-19-2001, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

MudStud-
I don't think there really is a "best" mud tire-they all work great I think. Of course, Outlaws and Vamps were/are probably among the better "pure" mudders, but for anything else, they'll ride pretty rough. I bought the Bi/Tri Claw setup in the 27" magnum series for my 'Cat and absolutely love them. They do awesome in the mud-clean out really well, pull you through crap that you swear you'd be stuck in no matter what-even dragging skid plate the entire way. Get them out on the trails, they do great there too-world's different than stockers, much more authority when it comes to traction-but hell, just look at them-can you say Traction??? On hardpack, they are surprisingly smooth at around 4-5mph and above-you'd never know you were on a huge heavy lugged tire above those speeds, as they cross the centerline very nicely. Slower than that on hardpack, you can feel the lugs, as it's a bit more "choppy" I guess you could say.

A lot of people have had good luck with the MudRunners, and the Titan 589's as well-they might be worth a look. Do you want a "pure" mud tire, or more of something that will handle the mud good, but do a little of everything else when needed without beating you up in the process? Anyway, I think a 12" wide rear, with no wider than 10" up front would work very nicely for ya. That narrower front helps keep steering ease, while the wider rears gives more traction and stability. I think you might be surprised too by going with a heavier lugged tire, that it will steer a lot easier than the stock tires as well-less rubber on the ground in one spot, thus giving less friction and easier steering.

Anyway, best of luck with the decision, the choice is seemingly endless! BTW-there are a few good pictures of my 'Cat with the 'Claws at the link below, under "snow pics". That might give you a better idea of how they look mounted.

Mike

Old 07-19-2001, 08:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mudstud

i bought the Outlaws and they rub the front fender near the floor board ALL the time on turns. it's really not fun. in fact, when i rode A LITTLE hard on the trails, it cracked the left fender near the floor board!
they are great mud tires. they do NOT ride well on the normal trails. they increase turning radius to an abnoxious distance. however, they do look great on my SP! LOL
also, if you like to WEAR what your riding in ALL the time, these tires are for you! they fling-up everything onto the rider.

if i could return them, get all my money back, i'd keep the stockers!

if i were you, i'd save your money and upgrade your 2000 to a 2002!

(just my two cents)

Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2001, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Mudstud, i believe that the outlaws are the best tires on the market for pure mud. I have them on my xplorer 400. I can go places i would have never even thought about going before. They ride rough until you get to about 5-7 mph. They wear fast on the street. They fling mud all over you. Now they are the best looking tires i have seen but they are strictly mud tires. When they wear out i will be going to the mudrunners. I think those are awesome tires. I have a buddy with a sp 500 and he can go most places i can go and he breaks nothing on his machine. They are very durable tires and ride nicely on hard pack. If you are a big time mudder get the outlaws, if not get the mudrunners.

Old 07-20-2001, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Mudstud,

I would go with the Outlaws for the mud. I am running 28X12.5x12 Outlaws all the way around my SP500 and I have not used or seen a more aggressive tire for the mud. I ran 27x12x12 Vamps all the way around and they are in fact good tires in the mud, but do not pull like the Outlaws due to the tread pattern and rap around lugs of the Outlaws.
I will tell you that they are not a smooth riding tire on hard pack so way out the wayt you ride before you buy your mud tires.