Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 HO vs 2002 Grizzly in the mud.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... I was there this weekend when the new Grizzly attempted to take on some very viscous "serious mud"! Results...? From where I sat it was no better than the 2001 HO. In fact the locked front end rev limiter hampered the Grizzly during most forward progress. Just when the rpms came up and it looked like the Grizz was going to make some headway the rev limiter kicked in and forward progress stopped. (the 589's could have used a hair more speed). Then the driver would become frustrated and unlock the front end and use the standard Yamaha 3WD. What a conundrum, the rpms were there but so was the 3WD.

Then it was the HO's turn to churn around in the same puddle that the Grizzly did and with the same tires (589's) Results? Smoother and just as well as the Grizz with no wet belt either. I couldn't see where the Grizzly was any better in the mud than the HO and the HO didn't wet the belt like the Grizzly did.

Then after the mud affair it was back to trail riding, which was slow. Unfortunately the Grizzly's rev limiter remained kicked in and could not be switched out. This left us a trail speed of around 16 MPH. We drained the carb bowl but that wasn't it. The belt drive was now dry so that wasn't it. (nice drain btw) It had to be the rev limiter which would not disengage. What a disappointment for the proud new owner!!!

BTW if you have read some of the threads over at the competitive forum this particular Grizzly did the same thing as the other ones. The low rpm sputter and the steam injestion that causes more missing. All in all I am sure that Yamaha will solve these "teething" problems in the new Grizzly but for now there are a few bugs to be worked out.

Don't sell that HO quite yet. If you own a HO and drive through mud and high water there is nothing to fear from this particular Grizzly at this time.

Old 08-06-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Who's your daddy?

Old 08-06-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

<< Just as the rev limiter for reverse on a Sportsman can be disconnected, the rev limiter for the front diff lock on the Grizzly can likewise be disconnected. Someone just needs to figure out which wire to disconnect. >>

And soon....!!!! I just wonder how much of this &quot;rev limiting&quot; is being confused with stumbling and sputtering? We will have to get the engineering types and Ham Radio Operators to figure out the wiring diagram schematic. (sort of like bypassing the modulation limiters on CB's and ham rigs in the old days)

<< Sure glad there isn't any of that sissy mud stuff out here in the desert though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], because I've got a silver Grizz coming in within the month to replace our Scrambler 500 4x4, which is out of commission right now with a fried belt. If I get some free time I may even take advantage of that lifetime belt gaurantee on the Scrambler, before its trade in time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

3TV
>>

Before &quot;the mud&quot; the Grizzly was running and sounding great. I don't think that the Grizzly will &quot;sputter&quot; in the desert. Fried belts are no fun. More people need to take advantage of the lifetime belt guarantee. Some of the dealers around this neck of the woods are trying to convince owners that the guarantee is only for one belt and others are saying two. I read my son's warranty and there is no number mentioned and no little asterisks either.

A guy could keep the rev limiter with an inline toggle switch if he really wanted to.

But... just think, there you are, climbing a steep rock face with the front end locked in low range to keep your traction at a maximum. Just as you approach the crest of the climb and need just a little extra power to pull you over the top, the rev limiter kicks in and the momentary sputter of the engine causes you to lose momentum...and...

I certainly hope that doesn't happen to anybody.

Without looking at the schematic, I would say the wire to be disconnected has to be in the feedback loop between the differential locking servo and the CDI Box. It could even be right there at the switch on the handlebar.

It is always an adventure to be the &quot;first on your block&quot; to have the the latest and most innovative. There are usually a couple of subtle surprises to overcome and then things begin to be glorious.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2001, 10:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thor,
i think it's great to hear that the Sportsman is still so competitive with the new models concidering it has not had any major changes in the last 5-6 years! i think that is a real 'pat on the back' for the sportsman.

(though i do wish that polaris would come out with something new and exciting)

i'll keep mine 'till they do....it's still a thrill to ride!

MT

Old 08-07-2001, 01:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

IF you think about it for a second, the HO will be competitive with anything they ever make except for maybe a race. There is a reason it has been the top 4x4 for the past 5 years. It was years ahead of its time in performance.

Old 08-07-2001, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Rode with a Kawasaki 650 and he could not go through what I could!! he had to be winched out several times from holes I drove right through, he is not inexperienced, he owns or has owned several atvs. The Sportsman rides better than the 650 also. He actually likes his Rubicon better!
Yeah it is faster than the SP 500, but I have 2300 miles on stock tires and he had 30 miles on his, there was not much comparison in the mudding capabilities. We did assess though the stock tires are rather wimpy (actually his words for more like allot of expletives that his new 7000 dollar quad had crappy tires) if replaced would make the 650 a better mudder. but overall SP owners do not worry about loosing to a 650, maybe in a drag on a straight away. I thought it was a nice machine, seemed small to me, but everything does compared to the SP. but the SP is a better mudder and has a better ride. None of the machines went as far as me, the AC500 the Rancher, the Prairie 300 4x4, the 650, even the 500 Magnum, though the guy just bought it last week, it is his first ATV. Polaris is hard to beat in the mud and seems like it is not loosing in that area.

Old 03-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,

Thumbs up on your post........I always like to see non-biased posts that are informative, regardless of the outcome. I'm glad to see this post hasn't become a bashing zone (yet). Hopefully it won't. I'd like to say that Yamaha will come up with a fix for the steam entering the air intake, but I seriously doubt they will. They have been badgered for years by the magazines about their air box design.........and not knowing if the filter is seated well. However, they have never changed that. I believe some people haven't had this problem, but I've read where more than one has had the sputtering problem due to steam. I do expect yamaha to fix the gas boiling problem........much the same way they fixed the heat output on the older grizzly 600 by adding a heat shield. Anyway, this is just rambling.

Waylan

Old 03-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thor, good informative post. Just the facts as you saw them, no insulting another bike just because it has the wrong name across the tank. Posts like this are the main reason I keep coming back here.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I FEAR NO MAN NOR QUAD IN THE MUD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
FOR I HAVE THE ULTIMATE MUDDING MACHINE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2002, 02:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As for the limiter in differential lock, its not a rev limiter. Its a speed limiter. Won't go over 22mph. Now reverse is a different story. This is a rev limiter. Folks have figured out how to override both of these though. As for water, if you get the front plastic of the grizz under water, then you just got water in your transmission buddy! It opens up directly under that black plastic hood.

I don't think Polaris can be beat for mud performance. The quad steers excellent in 4wd, plus all four tires are pulling. Yama &amp; Kawi both can lock, but it really makes them both hard to steer. Still, I wish one of these idiots would put a manual shift on an IRS quad. Either that or Arctic Cat could come out with a locking differential.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 HO vs 2002 Grizzly in the mud.