Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP500 Alignment Procedure/Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:20 AM
Lo
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the proper/best procedure for checking/realigning the front end? I've tried the suggested procedure in the manual (with the string) but it seems pretty crude. Does anyone know the proper toe-in or toe-out specs? I just put new tires on it and am trying to get longer life out of the front tires than I did with the first set. They only lasted 1300 miles.

Thanks,

Lo

Old 08-13-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Lo-
I took my tie-downs and locked the handlebars strait by tieing them off to the rear rack. This keeps the steering locked in a way, so you don't end up setting the proper toe in/out, then look up to find your handlebars all cocked to one side, after you've finished the job. Anyway, with the bars tied down strait ahead, get a tape measurer, measure the front of your tire at skidplate level from sidewall to sidewall in the same location on each tire. Now, with that measurement, switch to the rear of the front tires. You'll have to lay down and reach up underneath, again, measure right at your skidplate level, sidewall to sidewall, same location. You should have between 1/4-1/2" tow out in front at most. More or less than that will lead to "darting" to one side, and premature tire wear. To adjust it, simply loosen the jam nuts on each end of the tie-rods, then rotate the tie-rod itself, one at a time, till you get the proper measurements. For instance, after re-aligning my 'Cat, I have 28 1/4" toe out up front (measures 28" even at back of front tire in location I spoke of above).

Once you lock the handlebars down, it's really pretty easy. I didn't do this at first, got all done with the job, thought I had it exactly where I wanted it, then went to drive it back to the garage, and the bars were at a sharp turn with the tires strait ahead! Had to start over, so that little tie-down method will prevent that from happening to you the first time you try.

Hope that helps, Best of Luck

Mike

Old 08-13-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,

Great idea on the straps to hold the handlebars straight. That would be a time saver!

The hardest job I ever had in lining up a quad was a Honda 450ES with "Trailbreaker" tires on it. The standard stock setting of about 1 inch was too much resulting in hard steering. When I got it down to 1/4 inch of toe out the tread on the Trailbreakers made the atv squirrely on uneven bumpy trails. So it was back to the adjustments again. On this particular quad the differential also causes torque steer on hard surfaces so that also had to be factored in. (What a job) When the 450 was finally aligned and tracking straight, from a visual standpoint the front wheels weren't straight. It was a combination of the tread and differential on different tractive surfaces.

Lo,
On a Sportsman 500 the string method will work well. Make sure that the tires are properly inflated, center the bars and tie them back like Cowboy said. Then do the string thing. You should be very close. On a Sportsman I believe that they call for 1/8th to 1/4 inch. Any less than that will cause darting on uneven trails or gravel roads. Lean toward the 1/4 inch if you can, it will be more stable. Polaris calls for less toe out than Honda does. When you test drive it, the crown in the road will also be a factor to consider. If you can, drive down the middle to check for pulling. Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]