Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have never quite understood the Polaris 4wd system, How does it work??, is it similar to the Subaru cars at all?? (One wheel starts to slip, the oppisite side takes over by computer??), or does the Polaris system not let any wheels slip whatsoever?? Do they all have Limited-Slip diffs?? I know its a computer operated system.

Tell me about this system, I'd like to know
THANKS

Old 08-16-2001, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

The front diff is locked all the time. When the back wheels slip 1/5 of a turn, it tells the comp to engage the front hubs which enables all 4 wheels to spin. Once traction is regained the front hubs disengaged. Hope this is right and helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Dave

Not to be a smart@ss, but what is the part number to that computer that engages the front hubs? Good luck finding it because there isn't one. The front hubs have constant power to them via the front shaft drive system. The front hub only puts the power to the wheel when the rear wheels are turning faster than the front wheel. The front hub has a hillard type clutch basket in it that essentially locks the hub to the front shaft when the front wheel is moving slower than the front drive shaft. The clutch will then disengage when the front wheel resumes normal speed (ie traction regained). The hillard clutch needs an electrical circuit to function. Thus, when the AWD switch is turned off, the hillard clutch is not getting any electrical current, thus it cannot engage. This system is really fairly simple and effective, just not well understood. Sorry for being a smart@ss, but I couldn't resist [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2001, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

OHHH I see now, so when the sensor picks up that one of the front wheels is turning slower than the driveshaft it engages the front hub or clutch type thing in the hubs??

So the rear doesnt have this??, so what heppends when you go around a corner??, one of the wheels(inside) is going to slow down, so the system lets it do that just like having a Gyro effect going around a corner??

Old 08-16-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

ATV Man

You are starting to understand it, except that you need to totally forget about there being any kind of wheel speed sensor. The engagement of the front hubs is a mechanical action that needs an electrical charge to make it work. There is NO electronics involved in the awd system. No the rear does not have any type of hillard clutch or hubs, just straight power to the wheels. You are right though, if you go around a corner and slide the back end around and keep the rear wheels spinning fast enough, the fronts will engage (easy to do in the snow). This is easily remedied by keeping the machine in two wheel drive (ie no electrical power to the hubs) when you want to do some sport type riding. On normal turns with the awd turned on, the system will not engage as the rear wheels will not turn fast enough to cause the slowing front wheel to engage the hub. Hope this is all making sense.

Old 08-16-2001, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

SO when the wheels are turned left or right and stay at the same speed as the rear wheels do, the hubs wont engage even if they are going faster or slower then the driveshafts are turning??, but how do the hubs know when a wheel is turned and not engage themselves when its turned making it hard to steer??, get what I'm trying to understand??

Old 08-16-2001, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

you are makeing this sound to complicated.
it is really simple.
on your handle bar is the awd switch, turn it on, it send a current directly to the magnetic coil in the front hub(on each side) riding on the outer surface of the coil is an ammature plate,(looks like a washer with 3 teeth sticking out) the three teeth fit into 3 holes on the Hilliard Clutch(looks like a clutch basket, but instead of plate tabs sticking out, it has 6 rollers spaced out on it, which ride one roller per side of a big "nut". when the awd is engauged it magnatizes the plate to the coil, causing friction, this friction is just enough to cause the plate to slow down and hold constant pressure on the clutch,(holds it from spinning with the wheel for the first 1/5 of a turn) when there is pressure on the clutch the "nut" still turns the same, but now has pressure on the rollers, makeing the rollers ride to the outer corner of the nut, when this happens the roller push out again the inside of the hub. and you have TRUE 4wd.

if anyone is still con-fused as to what i just said, e-mail me. i can also help with fixing awd problems, i just had ALL OF THEM! it took awhile to figure out, but now i know.

Old 08-16-2001, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

<< SO when the wheels are turned left or right and stay at the same speed as the rear wheels do, the hubs wont engage even if they are going faster or slower then the driveshafts are turning??, but how do the hubs know when a wheel is turned and not engage themselves when its turned making it hard to steer??, get what I'm trying to understand?? >>

ATV MAN

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. The hubs have no idea that the wheel has been turned left or right. The hub only knows that when the front driveshaft is turning faster than the front wheel, that it must engage itself. The only way for the front driveshaft to be turning faster than the front wheels is for there to be rear wheel slippage, i.e. the entire drive system including the rear wheels are turning, yet the machine is not moving. Again, on normal turns, there is not enough difference in the speed of the front driveshaft and the front wheel to engage the front hubs. This system is the reason that you have to be careful when you change the size of the tires on the machine. You need to change all four tires in the same ratio. Example- If you have 25inch tires all around and wanted to go to 26 inch, you need to change all four tires to avoid any engagement problems with the awd system. If you were to leave the 25 inch tires on the front and replace the rears with 20 inch (humor me hear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) tires, the awd system would stay engaged because the rear wheels (as well as the front drive shaft) would be spinning out of proportion to the front wheels, and the front hubs would engage. I hope this is making some sense now. It took me forever to understand it myself.

Old 08-16-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

When the back wheeles spin 20% faster then the front the magnets engage All wheel drive not limited slip when all the wheels are turning the same speed the magnets dissengage.
Going around turns is different if you give it gas around a turn the rear wheels will &quot;Break&quot; loose and spin faster than the front thus ingaging the All wheel drive!
Hope that help.
Its like what MagnumMudMan said but more user friendy. (no offence MagnumMudMan!)

Old 08-16-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

yellowHO01 what should I do to put a snorkel on my Sportz?

Quick Reply: Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...