Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Restoring Scratched Plastic Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 01:29 AM
Lo
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody had any success restoring their scratched plastic successfully. What did you use and how? I would like to restore the plastic that is scratched and has lost its shine from everyday use. I've tryed polishes and waxes but they seem to highlight the scratches.

Thanks,

Lo

Old 08-24-2001, 02:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The Novus 3 step line of plastic polishes helps. 3M polishing/rubbing compound works. If you have a friend in aviation, Micro Mesh is a kit of super fine sandpapers which you wetsand with. A quick picker-upper I've found is 3M Marine vinyl protectant. Wipe it on....it will look kinda smudged. Leave it on overnight, and buff off excess in the morning. I have the Metallic black that really shows scratches, this method works the best for me with the least amount of time. I have some 3M Finesse it plastic polishing pads, but I need to get the backing pad for it.....a good winter project. I'd like to hear from someone who's tried that plastic renew.

KT

Old 08-24-2001, 08:23 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Try using a propane torch! No kidding. It does work by melting out the surface scratches but nothing short of major body work will work for those deep scratches and digs. Go very slow with the torch technique, working from a distance and then moving closer as you go. Always keep the torch moving. Stop frequently to inspect your progress and to allow the plastic to cool. I'm convinced that if you are going to use your machine for what it was designed for, the care of the plastic is a lost cause. They only look new (flawless plastic) for about 5 minutes after the first good ride.

Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

I sometimes wet sand the little scratches off with 600 grit paper, then buff it clean with a power buffer and wool type cleaning wheel. This puts a shine back on it and gets rid of the light scratches. It also takes the sharp jaged looking edges off of the deeper stuff.
But I agree with Maverick, its not going to look new unless its on the showroom floor, and that only lasts for one ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

modquad- i have used that novus 3 step stuff on both my LT and my 400 and it didn't work at all. and it was a real pain in the *** to clean off. there is that plastic restore stuff but that stuffs a pain in the *** too. i say just keep your scratches.

Old 08-24-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Megacrash hit the nail on the head. Only I would use 8-12 hundred grit.
After everything is sanded get out the power buffer with some 3m fine buffing compound and spend a day buffing. You wont get the deep ones out but it will look 100% better.
Hint: dont spend too much time in one spot because it will burn the plastic.
I did this when I sold my '97 prairie and got remarks like how did you keep the plastic so perfect[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think anything works for a long period of time. What I did was sand all the scratches out and then Armor Alled it. When I wash it I use soft scrub with a scotch brite pad and then armor all. It does not shine real well but it is clean..no dirt in scratches. On my Honda the plastic is still in pretty good condition so all I do is armor all and buff and looks great. I recently bought some metallic grey plastic for my Sport and have not yet put it on, but when I do I will armor all and buff with a soft cotton rag.

Old 08-25-2001, 01:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It all depends on the severity of the damage. If you have the time, the micro mesh is the most accurate. I've been meaning to try the torch searing method on my old plastic....heard that method a few times. On our jet windows, you can actually take a steel scribe and scratch a groove in the plastic...with some time, the micro mesh works it out. It's been said before, just ride and have fun, you can always back up a little further when taking the picture.....50ft=mint plastic.

KT