Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tie rods ends
Steering stem bushing
Stock piston
Front hub seals
Front wheel bearings
Hole rubbed in float bowl

I think the tie rod ends, steering shaft bushings, and stock 400 pistons were all cheap, defective pieces of crap and Polaris should have recalled all of them. Once those parts are replaced it's not a bad quad though. Brakes & belts just are normal maintenance items that shouldn't be considered as broken parts.

Old 08-27-2001, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

You guys with the long list and low hours/miles maybe you hit a train head on and don't remember?????

Old 08-27-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

<< 2 snapped chains: poorly designed setup that snaps chains when you jump unless you let off of the gas before you hit the ground >>

I don't wanna p*ss you off, but you have to let off of the throttle when you jump because the PVT allows the wheels to keep spinning faster and faster because of the auto tranny. Just what I heard and am curious if anyone else wants to let me know if I'm wrong.???

2 stripped hubs: Cheaply made hubs

Again, I'm not here to sound like one of those guys that say &quot;You should take better care of you're machine&quot;(even tho I kinda am), but could the hubs possibly have stripped because you activated the AWD when the rear wheels were spinning faster than the front? just curious. Please don't get mad. hehe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um,.... no problems yet except two flats./...

but i hear weird noises, 3 or 4 of em,
tell me what they are if you can...

1: the quad vibrates at idle, then smooths out, but when i hit the throttle from a start, it makes a really loud vibrating noises likes the carb is hitting the plastic for a second...

2: a clicking sound in the front , i think its steering related but it happens when im going fas , slow, straight, turning, ect

3: a clank! sound when i hit a bump going 35+ or a ton of rocks going slow,
not over every bump, but the big ones,
i ve read that the swing arm bolts on some of you guys quads have come loose, could this be it? it sounds like its comming from the rear.

4: if i push on the trannt case the slightest pit i can feel and hear the insides hitt the plastic &quot;grrrrraaaank&quot; vbbbbbbbbb is the case on crooked? to tight?
these are the noises

Old 08-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

<< Grease it once a month! I do it every 3rd ride and every ride if the last ride is a really wet one. It does sound like a drag but I,m on the same parts (except brake pads) on my 97 SP. >>

FYI.....the &quot;greasable&quot; parts are NOT the ones that are breaking!

Old 08-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

01 HO, 400 miles thusfar of HARD mud. I made a shifter linkage adjustment and blew the speedo fuse because of Hella foglights I installed on the front. Other than that it has been just as reliable as anything around and a heckuva lot more fun/comfortable to drive.

Old 08-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

<< Again, I'm not here to sound like one of those guys that say &quot;You should take better care of you're machine&quot;(even tho I kinda am), but could the hubs possibly have stripped because you activated the AWD when the rear wheels were spinning faster than the front? just curious. Please don't get mad. hehe >>

That's stripped REAR hubs, not front ones. Other than riding the Scramblers hard, we take very good care of them. I'm not getting mad, I'm just stating facts, I've also become a very good Polaris mechanic because I've had to work on almost every piece of the Scramblers at one time or another.

<< I don't wanna p*ss you off, but you have to let off of the throttle when you jump because the PVT allows the wheels to keep spinning faster and faster because of the auto tranny. Just what I heard and am curious if anyone else wants to let me know if I'm wrong.??? >>

If HPD can make an aftermarket chain tensioner for the concentric drive Polaris' that will prevent the chain from snapping, then Polaris could surely have engineered something better than what they did. Chains are too friggin' expensive to snap just because you jump a little. I don't see it happening on any other brand.

Old 08-28-2001, 07:13 AM
Range Rover

MeanGreenMachine I'm NOT calling you a liar but please tell me that you have 35 inch BF Goodrich M/T tires on it.You must of got a lemon.I know of so many 400 xplorers (at least 15-20 in the club i ride in) that have never ever had one problem and a couple of 95's have around 9000 miles on them.

I know what happened.You were driving up a mountain and the quad rolled out of the truck.---------You picked it up on the bottom of the mountain.

Old 08-28-2001, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

2: a clicking sound in the front , i think its steering related but it happens when im going fas , slow, straight, turning, ect

The clicking sound is may be loose front brake pads.They sit more sloppy once the pads get thinner from wear.

Old 08-28-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it cant be the brakes,
it made the noise when i bought it, and aftyer i replaced all the pads
the pads where so wore in the front that one looked like a razar blade,
can anyone else help withj the others?

Quick Reply: List your Polaris broken parts here!