Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GE4x4
Do they sell both kawi and Polaris? If they do than I bet they have more 650's than 700's to sell right now. Never fully trust a sales guy. What were the miles on the atvs you tested. Were they all broke in or new?

Old 08-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Actually the dealer told me that the 700 would be much better then the Gizz and Kawi before they even got it. And they said they sell the polaris 4 to 1 to the Yam and Kawi. so I would say they would rather sell the polaris first. And both machines had under 1 mile on them, so you could say they were even.

Old 08-26-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

GE4x4,

Did the Polaris rep have an answer for why you thought the sp700 was slow??? i was told that Polaris tested the sp700 aginst the kawie650 and the grizz660 and it beat them both. Did it have slack in the throttle cable?? or did it need to be broken it to get all its power??

thanks

later
jon

Old 08-26-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

No he didn't, but he said it wasn't broken in yet, so it could get better, but nether was the Griz or Kawi broken in. so if the 700 gets better then that means the other two should get better too doesnt it!!!

I never got to really open it up because the track wasn't that great, so top speed could be the same as the others. But this one seemed to have no low end at all. so for a motor that is said to have alot of torque didn't seem to have what the other two had. I'm sure a clutch change would make a world of difference, but that's something they should fix not me.

Old 08-26-2001, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

One thing I would like to mention before everyone gets to excited about the Kawasaki is read there forum there are a lot of problems with the new 650 and I have been checking on both it and the new Grizzly and the Grizzly has hardly any problem according to the forum post. Just something to think about. I know reading this forum the problems I have are pretty close to what is posted here so if it was my $7000 dollars I would think twice about buying that Kawasaki and look more at the Grizzly.

Old 08-26-2001, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know which forum you've been reading, but the new Grizz has also been having problems and more detailed ones at that. I know for a fact because my buddy has one and he is going through alot of problems. My 650 has been awsome...so to say to look at the Grizz before the Kawi is just a matter of opinion. I say look at the one you want and buy it, period.

Old 08-26-2001, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

TX650

I think you need to go to the Kawasaki forum and the Yamaha and look at the top 20 post there are atleast 4 post of the 650 having problems and none of the Grizzly having problem.
I own to Polaris 4 wheelers I am not loyal to Yamaha or Kawasaki I am just calling it has I see it.

Old 08-26-2001, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

The Grizz and the Cow-sake both have great motors, weigh in at 600lbs, have locking front differentials. The Grizz, with I.R.S. stands to do better in the rough stuff, and the Kaw, with the first Japanese Harley motor, looks like the one to ride fast. But they both look like their are heads above the pushrod, too heavy, new SP.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Hey there's always the new aluminum frame 5-speed manual clutch 500 sport coming out in 2003![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2001, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jesus Christ! What is all this crap about problems? I can't remember what problems the Prairies were having, but it wasn't much. What was up with the yamaha's? Some sputtering or something that some grease on the plug boot fixed. I haven't had one problem with my Grizzly other than a cap that wasn't tightened all the way. I've had it in water and no sputtering, no belt slip yet (that will happen to any auto though, so I am just waiting), nothing bad. I don't see a lot of prairie problems either, at least nothing major. Look at the entire polaris forum for the last 3 years and you will see about 50% of the stuff is people asking for help on how to fix their machine. Too many moving parts and ignorant crap like chain driven 2-stroke utility quads and stuff. At least they have almost gotten away from that.

I figured the 700 would top all, but so far I haven't heard enough good about it to make it #1. Too heavy. I can believe that. Its boasting only 23cc's more than the Grizzly. Well, the Griz has more cc's than the Prairie, but still won't beat it off the line. Be sure that there will be improvements made to the sportsman shortly after it starts arriving in dealerships. People are going to bitch because it won't be all that they imagined, and Polaris will change carbueration or something to give it some more boost. They will not however lighten it, because every quad in their whole damn lineup is heavy. Even the freakin sport quads.

Old 08-27-2001, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Right on Andy! The Kawis and Yamis have problems like what's that sound or where can I find this oil. Nothing like what you'll find in the Polaris forum. One question, has your irs softened up any? Any problems with the floor boards? I haven't seen you post anything on it so I guess everything is working great.

Quick Reply: First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!