Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa!!!! Is this a Polaris forum or a rag Polaris forum? Since when is speed the factor that determines quality in a machine? I ride 4wd exclusively with all kinds of differant makes and never has speed influenced our rides at all. I've seem the big Polaris'es tow many other kinds of bikes back. A comfortable ride in the mountains with can be enjoyed by both the man with the fastest bike and the man with the slowest. Methinks you guys should move over to the racing forum..

deebees law no.1 "never rag another mans ride"

Polaris 425 Magnum 4x4
Honda 450 Foreman 4x4
Honda Rancher (wife)

Old 09-06-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

DeeBee-
Good post, and Thor-to your post, EXCELLENT!

I honestly don't see what the big deal is for a 4x4 quad having the most speed anyway. The trails I ride up in the sticks are so damned steep, rutted, rocky or muddy that you can't use that speed anyway. We're talking full out 4 wheel drive, low range and crawling, with a max speed of maybe 3mph if you're lucky. Any faster than that, and you'll wind up in a serious accident damaging both quad and rider, if not worse. Speed kills in circumstances like this, so why is it needed? This "bigger is better" attitude is rediculous-buy a quad for YOUR riding styles, and for the type of terrain you'll encounter the most, not so you can tell all your buddies you have the biggest, baddest thing out there. Hell, in a few months, it will be replaced by something bigger and badder, so what's it matter in the first place?

As for the "weight" issues, I've written a few responses to that, then just not posted. Weight has it's time and place, and with each quad, it's reasons. I can understand the guys running the tight trails, or deep mud who don't want to have to lift the machine in the first place, but hell, that's what a winch is for in most circumstances. Rather than going into great detail and explanation, chew on this-ya'll think the new SP700 is too heavy, how about my 'Cat that I run EVERY DAY in this same condition: dry weight 'Cat-650, added mortar box plus winch, gear up front- easily 100 lbs., rear rack around 200 lbs., and me riding at 220 lbs. total that up, you're now talking somewhere around the 1,170 lbs. range-ALL THE TIME! Now, strap on the trailer full of logs I'm towing, hell, I can't even begin to imagine what that would weigh. To the guys like me who work their quads, 740 lbs. is barely getting started.

It's not WHAT we ride, but THAT we ride that counts. Like others have mentioned, be thankful for all our options available today-there is no "best" quad, and never will be-things are constantly changing, hopefully always improving. Should that "best" quad ever be built, it won't be long before it's out-done, and a new "best" is born. Live, love and ride what you've got, be thankful for that, rather than burn the rest.

Best of Luck, and Happy trails no matter what you ride,

Mike

Old 09-06-2001, 08:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AMEN Cowboy!!

YOU-DA-MAN!!