Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 11:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother stopped at the local Kawi dealer to try the 650 again.He says it is incredible, the power of the line is mindblasting,a world of difference from his Sportsman.The dealer told him a father and his 13 year old son dropped by to look at the 650.The kid started the bike and floored it,the front end popped up and it went over and started dragging on it's rack.The kid fell of unhurt jumped up and said DADDY THAT'S THE ONE I WANT!!!!He bought it hehe

Old 08-27-2001, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

Steve Xplor,

It really is nice to see things haven't changed in the 11 or so years since the dreaded CPSC law on ATV size and age requirements took effect. I do know you're from the "Great White North, but don't they have laws for that up there? Still, it's really is nice to know that people are just as STUPID now (if not more so) as they were way back then. I think I'll eventually sell my 65+ horsepower Polaris Sport 400 to some guy to let his little kids ride on it. Hey what the heck, it's only a 400! How much could kids get hurt on a "little" 400?

Steve please don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT ragging on you, but any dealer that would sell that powerful quad to a 13 year old NEEDS to be sued at least once. I do hope the dealer told the guy to hit the bricks and to come back when the kid has grown a little bit in body size, age and maturity. Somehow I doubt he did though.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

This is too funny, all you Polaris guys making up excuses for the sp700! Face it the Japanesse bikes have you beat, and they're flat out a better product. I mean what do you expect from a severly overweight quad with an already outdated pushrod engine . . . great marketing Polaris. I think they were supprised the competition came out with a big bore and now they rushed an inferior product to the market. And to the people that don't think the Kawi 650 is aimed at the sp700 or sp500 for that matter are crazy. It is exactly the market they're after and by the sounds of it they'll get it as will Yamaha.

It's great that some of you are so loyal to Polaris that you'll make up "problems" for other bikes just to justify your own beliefs!

Old 08-27-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

740lbs......LOL! That's the same weight as 2 stock Honda 400EX's.

People are so blind with brand loyalty that the new SP700 could weight 900lbs, and people would still buy it.

Bigger motors, heavier weights. I'd say the sport is taking a huge step backwards. And it will continue to do so until people stop buying into the "bigger is better" tune. But we live in America, where that is never going to happen.

740lbs..........man that's heavy.

Old 08-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

what everyone has to remember is that the new 700 is a utility machine, not a high performance racer, for one the heaveir it is the more it should be able to pull. and the reason the didnt put high performace parts in it is that the are not as reliable as regular parts, and we all know Polaris is not well know for there reliability...my 2 cents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

MuDDog
97 Sportsman 500

Old 08-27-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

.... This is why all the manufacturers try to keep these new models secret untill they are nearly out. The new Grizz took us all by surprise, just those spy photos less than 2 months before you could buy one. Imagine how Polaris must have felt. Here they've been working on this new 700 pushrod pig for probably a couple of years, thinking it was going to be the hot new ticket, not too worried about Cow-sake 'cause they just don't have that much market share, and POW! The new 600 lb. Grizz pops on the scene with a high tech motor, locking diff and the Polaris signature I.R.S. Man they must be pissed. They must have figured that Honda is getting away with pushrod engines on the utilities, and in all honesty, a pushrod engine is good for 6,000 rpm easy.
.. .. It's just such typical American low tech thinking, where the bean counters run the show and the engineers are left sucking hind tit. But to do all that work on a new design and make it a pushrod motor, not even EFI, which would have been something significant, is just a darn shame. A five-valve OHC single is SO much better than a pushrod inline twin with 2 valves/cylinder. Nice forklift motor though.
... There will certainly be no sport quad with this motor. And so we will go on to the next rumor of an aluminum frame, manual clutch 500CC+ sport quad with acceptable weight. Our rumors were so much better than the real 700 SP. The new Sport will probably just be a 500cc Expedition motor with a manual clutch, in a Scrambler frame. Yawn. Oh, yeah, and new graphics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2001, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Ranchers,

Excuse me but your pathetic little rancher is a push rod engine . Are you coming to ATVAM this fall? I sure would like to see you face to face.

------------------------------------------------------------

Settle down Odin, watch the name calling

Old 08-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

The 700 would have made a bigger splash if it had EFI as had been originally "rumored". Something everyone could have had a interested in,
no matter what brand you like, this also would have pushed the other companies into producing EFI by the middle of next year. Still, the 700 is going to be a cool bike, I just prefer the 660 Grizz!

Tony

Old 08-27-2001, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

WOW!!!!!! This post is getting to heavy for me,I'am going to run to Wal-mart and buy me a go-cart.Then I can sleep at night,and not have to worry what quad is better.

Old 08-27-2001, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

your talking lots about weight,the bombardier quest 650 is 740 pounds and its faster then the kawi 650,i sell both try them out,the kawi might pull ahead a bit then the quest goes by.so now i know that the quest 650 has lot of power for weight ratio.

Quick Reply: First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!