Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any problems with the HO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure!

Kodiak - Light, nimble, good turning radius, low maintenance. Not as powerful as the others, you can really notice the difference between the 400 and 500s. Good ground clearance. Suspension is soft, but the Ruby and the Polaris have more suspension travel and you can tell the difference in the rough stuff. I use it as a lawn mower (Cycle Country Mower) cart and lawn implement hauler. Not had it in the woods a lot. Very good handling. Great for what I use it for. Limited accessories to choose from.

Had a 2001 Scrambler 500 4X4 – fast, fun, light front end, great for going fast, through the woods, wheelstands (impresses neighbors). Low ground clearance, extra protection for underneath is a must for serious trail riders (especially the rear end), stiff suspension compared to others, lack of low gear a drawback in some cases, not real good in deep mud, if you hit water too fast, it’ll splash water right in the breather causing belt to slip until dry. Polaris and Ruby are better trail quads –both have higher ground clearances and both have a low gear which I need on some of these steep, low speed hills we have around here. I can just dump it in low and putt up them (as opposed to flying up them on the Scrambler). If you ride it all day, it has a tendency to beat you up. All that talk about breaking chains and the tranny made me nervous at times.

Polaris Sportsman RSE – Only have about 20 hours on it. Best suspension of all 4, can’t beat the IRS for rock climbing, but also great for everyday trail riding – the quad just feels stable at all times. Off-camber hills, ruts, dips, things that would cause you to feel unstable on other quads feels very stable on the Sportsman. Great low end power, pretty fast too. Tires, ground clearance, power make it a great mudder. Camo plastic is GREAT for the woods, much harder to scratch than regular colors (red is the worst). The special edition stuff (tube bumpers, tires) are great additions. My favorite quad of them all. LOTS OF ACCESSORIES TOO!

2001 Honda Rubicon – Low maintenance, cushy ride (softness about equal with the Sportsman I think – really hard to tell the difference). Not as much travel as the Sportsman and lacks IRS, you can tell the difference at times on the trail. Lots of low end grunt, very smooth, blows the others off the line in a race (must be the tranny). Tranny is the best of all 4, has multiple gear choices, can also shift it with button on handle bar if you want. Lack of 2WD is sometimes a drag (harder to spin donuts, roost your buddies), pretty easy to turn in 4WD (easier than the others). Ergonomically, I like the Sportsman better, just feel cramped after switching from the Polaris to the Rubicon (handlebars are higher on Sportsman which I like). Rubicon feels like it has a lower center of gravity than Sportsman which is good in some cases. Red plastic is EASILY scratched. Would never buy red for a trail quad. My wife rides this one a lot – Polaris feels to big for her.

Just my opinions. I like the Sportsman the best so far.

Old 09-18-2001, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ScramblerKodiak - one of the best, to the point, concise comparasins I have read in quite a while. Don't be afraid to add more details to the comparasins, as some of us DO sweat the details.