Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any problems with the HO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you know Im going to be selling the Cat 500 and getting a SP500HO. What kind of problems if any have any of you been having. Every dealership has told me that 99% of the problems that come in are people that just dont keep there wheeler in good condition. I dont mind greesing the SP's. I like to do work of thing's that I own.

I really have had no problems with the AC other then the breaks such s&^%. Im on the 3rd master cylinder now. I would be very upset if I get a HO that is a Lemon. Please help me with some info
Thanks

Old 09-13-2001, 02:53 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

My brother and I have 2001s and have had no problems (my dad just bought a 2002). I have a friend who had a 2000 and he had belt and brake problems (brakes were great it just wore pads quickly and belts wore around 500 miles). Those two problems were solved with new brakes on the 2001 models as well as a new clutching system for the belt. The power is incredible and the ride is TOP NOTCH smooth. The 4X4 system is really great in that there is NO limited slip in the front end.

Oil chnages and air filters must be maintained and greasing the machine will make it last.

I had a 1993 Trail Boss that I greased after every deep water outing (twice per weekend) and I never replaced anything but a piston (normal wear) the whole time I ran the machine. Maintenance is the key.

Old 09-13-2001, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

You'd be wise my friend to do some research, check out the thread "list your broken Polaris Parts here". This is only the tip of the iceberg, Polaris is long known to have realiability issues, they've improved but in most peoples estimation they're still at the rear of the pack.

With this said you can expect some pretty positive opinions in this forum, ask it in some others and you'll get a different perspective. What you were quoted by a Polaris salesman is exactly what you'd expect a salesman to say, my reply to that would be how come steering arms, ujoints and other major drivetrain parts are always going out? It sure as h*ll isn't due to PM, it's called inferior parts and Polaris has the market cornered on these.

Please don't just take my word for it, ask others and it'll all become clear in the end.

Old 09-14-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

The 2001+ models have many improvements over the 2000 and down models. As ranchers said do a search. Most of the bad is for the older models. The one big repair for me. Two .99 cent washers to fix the clutch creep.
Good luck

Ding, Ding. Round two?????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2001, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cannot and will not speak on behalf of the HO model Sportsmans,but,I owned a 99 500cc Sportsman with a TON of problems.

Though my current 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4 has NEVER left me stranded,it sure has a HUGE list of worn out parts.

Best of luck,
Bill

Old 09-14-2001, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I guess the question I have for some of the people that have "so many problems" with Polaris machines is; "how damn hard do you ride them?" I have a 2000 SP500 and a 2001 SP500HO and have not had one single problem with either of them. We ride the heck out of them in our hot desert, that I guarantee is alot harder on machines than some of you in the south and north with nice forest trails and open plains. Our riding consist of many, many rocks, sand, whoop's that are as big as wintertime moguls when skiing, and not to mention the heat, 100-120 from spring until late summer! I have over 2500 miles on the '00 and close to that on the '01 and I am not having the problems that some seem to be having or maybe they are claiming to have?! I am tired of sitting on these forums (for over a year, I dont spend much time putting in my 2 cents) and reading some of the **** that is put on here about inferior machines that Polaris builds. If you beat them to death, yes you will have problems.....with any of the brands!! People say read the other threads and see what other riders have to say..... Yeah, also ask them how do they thrash their utility machines like its a sport bike such as a cr250? Some of you think you should be able to ride your 600lb+ machine like its a bike and then nothing should break. Well get a grip!! For you guys that like to mud, I guess you make the choice to run it through the muck, so deal with extra maintenence that comes along with it!! The reason you hear of more Polaris repair issues is probably that Polaris outsales the other brands by a huge margin, especially in the utility class. I think we all are benefiting from the improvement's that Polaris and each of the other manufacturers have made and obviously will continue to make.

Bottom line......buy whatever machine, brand that you like. You can research these forums(as did most of us)and someone will always try to pursuade you to buy their favorite brand or disuade you from buying something you may be interested in.

Just my two cents after many, many months of reading these forums. Not trying to stir anything up!!

Ken

Old 09-14-2001, 06:51 AM
Trailblazer

My SP500HO is by far the nicest,smoothest riding, and troublefree atv I've ever ridden or owned ....... I think DesertSportsman said it best, it is a UTILITY machine, not a 400EX. People who own sport/race bikes expect them to break and its acceptable to them. The fact that most owners (including myself) ride them like a sport machine and they have been holding up as well as they have been is a testimonial in itself ! It is true the earlier Polaris had there issues, thus the advent of the 2001 Sportsman with improvments in all the trouble spots - CV joints to replace U-joints, stronger steering components, better brakes, improved belt drive design and venting and the list goes on... As for owners of the older machines whining about things breaking or wearing out, what to you expect ? If you put the years of punishment that the average atv goes through and apply that to virtually any motor vehicle it will fail also. If it bothers you that much, get a night job or work some overtime and buy a NEW machine.

Old 09-14-2001, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

KEN-STRETCHER,
I appreciate and respect both your posts.Anybody who treats a utility ATV like a sport ATV and expects to have no problems is only fooling themselves.I have been on ATVs [3-4 wheelers]since 1983,I know the differance's between a sport and a utility ATV as I've owned both.In all these yrs,I have owned seven differant 3 and 4 wheelers.I did not own a Polaris until September of 1998.I bought a brand new shinny 1999 500cc 4x4 Sportsman.The Sportsman was by FAR,the best riding ATV on the market for CASUAL trail rides.Things started off REAL bad with the new Sportsman.I had to take it back to the dealership the very NEXT day.My battery went dead.Things only got worse after that.I eventually started a law suit against the dealership,Polaris even got involved.Things finally did get repaired by another dealership,but the ATV would not stop wearing out[in very short time spans] tie rods,brake pads,belts,clutches,steering bushings,ect.The ATV was in the shop allmost every other wk,sometimes for MONTHS at a time.I had ENOUGH of this and decided that every manufacture has a lemon,it was MY turn to own one.

On March 10th of 2000,I bought a brand new 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4.Things started out EXCELLANT with the new quad.I liked it soooo much that I put the Sportsman up for sale.Probably about 8-10 months ago,parts just started coming loose like you would'nt beleive.Since than,the Xplorer has spent ALOT of time in the dealership for repairs.Most of the repairs were for worn parts,im sure you've seen my list?I'd just get the quad out for worn out tie rod ends on one wk,and have to take it back in the next wk for a bad steering bushing ect.My defective parts list is huge,im grateful for a good mechanic and a 3yr extended warrenty that works.

I guess what im respectfully saying is that not ALL ATV related problems are due to rider mis-use.Nobody takes care of their ATVs better than me.My wife of 24 yrs has accused me of spending more time with my ATVs than her.I told her thats because I like them more,she just laughed.She once come into the Polebarn where I keep and maintain the ATVs and said,''I wish I were an ATV''.I said yah,I could use a third one!

I have nothing against anyone who worships their purchase of their Polaris,there seems to be many happy ones.But its not fair to blame all Polaris problems on the way the owner maintains,rides,or Power washes his ATV either.In all the yrs I have behind me on ATVs,its a simple fact that no other manufacture has the amount of problems that Polaris has.They are getting better and I only hope they continue to improve.

Best of luck,
Bill

Old 09-14-2001, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been reading these posts for some time and it seems to me it's the same people having the problems check it out.I'am not saying that they are not. But I believe 95 percent are happy with there polaris's.
The 500's ride so good I think they are abused more with out realizing it.When I hear people complaining It's in such contrast to my experence it's just hard to be
lieve.
Some people don't like all the grease jerks but I was very impressed.Because I know if you keep them greased the moving parts will last a very long time.These machines are made to last.
I like the way the trans is separated it's more like a car and the grease jerks are too.Brakes are like a car too fluid all the way around.
I to had heard bad things about polaris before I bought one.I waited untill the shaft and the ebs was added before I bought one.
know I have 2100 miles and 270 hours with out one break down I could not be more pleased with 500ho
p.s two bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch

Old 09-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yellowdog,
posts,''that two bad apples dont spoil the whole bunch''.And he is refering to me and Rancheres.

Just as I suspected?A new Forum user.He has a total of 8 posts and has only been a Forum user for a short time.So in reality,its not a wonder why he IMAGINES that the SAME Polaris owners are having problems all the time.He simply has not been a member long enough to see/read the real truths in these Forums about the MANY YRS of Polaris problems.Unlike a seasoned Forum pro like myself,his lack of any real time spent in these forums is very appearant in his posts.But he will get better.He will!

When you've been a Forum user as long as I have[over 3 yrs]and have over 3000 posts,it is only than that you can truly appreciate the ABUNDANCE of Polaris related problems.Until a rookie like yeller dog reaches my level of Forum experience,we really dont take much credability in his posts.But,like any rookie,he will learn.He will!

AMEN

Bill

Quick Reply: Any problems with the HO's