Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Honda FourTrax Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3TV,

I guess that crack about the '74 Hodaka Road Toad really dates the both of us. I remember the darn things, along with the Dirt Squirt (their off road version of the Road Toad). I guess that when the Hodaka plant folded, most of it's P.R. people went to work for Suzuki.

I'm just wondering how the new machine will fare against the "new" competition out there. I.R.S. is nice, but without a sway bar I wonder how well it will corner. Unless they use heavy springs (ala Artic Cat), in which case the ride plushness will suffer.

Unlike some people, I think The Rincon looks attractive and quite sporty. Competition is the only way that other models will improve. The more the merrier.

Old 09-25-2001, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Soggyrider, I understood your point quite clearly. Using aluminum over steel is a weight savings advantage of 33% to 37% that of steel. So I can clearly see the difference between the Rubi and the Rincon.

Old 09-25-2001, 07:40 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I guess we will not know how good it is til it is out so everyone can talk about it and say it will be so great but til it is out is just another machine that has not been tested.

Old 09-25-2001, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

it might have been tested, just not by one of us!

Old 09-26-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

3TV
You left out one thing from Odin's post. His dealer would not replace/warenty a bad seal on the transmission. The damage was done after this point due to this bad seal letting water/dirt into the transmission. If the dealer would have done the small repair the large one would not have happened.

Old 09-26-2001, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

3TV
I figured a smart guy like you would drive a Powerstroke.

Old 09-26-2001, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

I would say even though it's early, Honda is accomplishing exactly what it wanted to - The Rincon thread dominates the Polaris forum in spite of the new sp700. Kind of put things in perspective doesn't it - yes Polaris, I'm bored also with you latest offering also!

Old 09-26-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

3TV,

Go drain the oil on your DS 650 and run it until it locks up, and then you can come back and tell us all how unreliable it is........if a motor locks up irregardless of what caused it, I would deem it to be unreliable.

And as far as the torque converter, I think you have it mixed up with a transfer case or some other component. An automotive torque converter is not even a perfectly efficient mechanism.........maybe more efficient than a belt driven CVT, but there are power losses associated with it.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

<<And as far as the torque converter, I think you have it mixed up with a transfer case or some other component. An automotive torque converter is not even a perfectly efficient mechanism.........maybe more efficient than a belt driven CVT, but there are power losses associated with it. >>

Alright, so I'm not the only one who thought 3TV and Colorado were mistaken...

Old 09-26-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I took this torque converter info off another board.

"Imagine two pinwheels facing each other. One blows wind like a fan and the other one is turned by the blown wind. In a closed system (torque converter cover) this is fairly efficient. The device is called a "fluid coupler".
A third device called a stator is added to a torque converter that under certain conditions will redirect fluid in such a way torque is increased (a 2:1 ratio). It is almost like a lever. This happens under high engine torque/low vehicle speed.

The stator is mounted on a one-way roller. When engine torque is diminished and vehicle speed is faster, the stator will start to freewheel. Then the torque converter becomes a fluid coupler.

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda FourTrax Rincon