Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RINCON = spanish for CLIFF

Old 09-24-2001, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

"You computer jockeys need to get out more often. I took these photos of the Rincon just yesterday. "

Once again 3TV has proven that timing is everything. Being in the right place at the right time.

(and just what the hell is a "Rincon" anyway?).

RINCON = spanish for CLIFF

Perfect for the average Honda Lemming![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2001, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

3TV, I'd just like to clarify part of your statement. A torque converter in no way amplifies torque coming from the engine. All it's really capable of doing is smoothing the torque out. It achieves this the same way a clutch on a sport ATV does. It allows for some slippage.

For simplicity's sake, a torque converter is a contained unit with fluid in it. Fins on one side of the torque converter fling the fluid at a center plate, which thus flings the oil at the other side of the torque converter. The result is that the second side of the torque converter never spins as fast as the first side (unless its a locking torque converter). Loss of speed = LOSS OF POWER!

This is one of the largest reasons that in a race between a car with an automatic transmission, and the same car outfitted with a manual transmission (same # of gears and same ratios), the manual will always win (provided there's an experienced driver). There's absolutely no power loss due to a torque converter.

The only other way I can think to put it would be this:
Non-locking torque converter is roughly equal to a slipping clutch.

Old 09-24-2001, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

Campy,

The people at ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association)would disagree with you as well as quite a few drag racers I know on your assesment of how an automatic transmission works. I mean no offense but the explanation was just not correct. Torque converters can multiply torque and non locking converters are not equal to a slipping clutch. Some of your theory was on the right track just not accurate. This type of transmission would be neat in an atv but I think I still preffer the constantly variable approach for where I ride. I do like the fact that we will have so many options to choose from now when picking a new ride. I still like my 93 350L 4x4 and the two sportmans we have so maybe by the time I am ready for something new I will have even more choices.

Old 09-24-2001, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hiofcer, I think you totally missed my point. I stated that Honda claims the dry weight to be EXACTLY the same as the Rubi. Yes they used aluminum in the suspension components, but irs still adds wieght. And so does the transmission style, think about how much a cars tourque conveter wieghs full of fluid.... Granted this is no turbo 350 but it still adds wieght that the Rubi does not have.
Maybe they shaved the weight with those $hitty tires that have less tread than the tires I throw away.

Don't get me wrong, I will be one of the first to say my Polaris is very heavy. And some of the parts are way over built, but it gets me in to the woods and home again as good as any honda in our group.

Just a side note; My magnum, fully laiden with gear, and a full tank of gas. the winch and bumpers weighs in at a whopping 723 pound on certified DOT scales. It's a pig but its my pig and I like it.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

colorado,

I'm rather curious here. I don't really get how a torque converter can multiply torque when your output shaft is always spinning slightly slower than your input shaft, unless of course the torque converter is locked or you're coasting down a hill. Either my idea of a torque converter is completely and totally wrong, or there's some very important component that I'm just missing.

Also, I do agree with you on your other point. There's definitely an ease-of-maintenance factor that I just can't imagine with the Rincon. I can, for the most part, work on a belt tranny, but no way am I gonna start ripping covers off from a transmission like that. Too much to break, too much to go wrong, and too complicated to easily fix yourself...

It's almost like Honda MAKES the stuff hard to work on for their own benefit... naahh, Honda wouldn't do that to their loyal customers...

Old 09-25-2001, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

3TV,

I'd bet dollars to pesos it isn't much, if any faster than the Scramblers. You do know that Honda has a tendency to build slugs. Probably for the liability issue rather than lack of know how. Polaris on the other hand, just doesn't know how to build them fast.

Old 09-25-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Well, then I guess Honda had better release a 650ex, because if there new 4x4 is THAT much faster than a Scrambler then it will be faster than the 400ex as well. That's funny to think about. Obviously I'm talking about a straight line race here too.

-Josh

Old 09-25-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

what, colorado, are you thinking about getting the rincon?

Old 09-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

3TV

I am not sure where you are getting that this Rincon is going to be this really fast sport machine. If you compare the new Grizzly to the Prairie the Prairie has a sold rear axle like the Scrambler there is no question a sold rear axle will out corner a machine with IRS. I was there to at Richfield and saw the Rincon in no way did I think it looks like a fast sport bike it looked heavy and big like a utility/recreation 4 wheeler. I think the Kawasaki Prairie 650 is going to be a lot faster and sportier than this new Honda.
IRS benefits you in rocks snow mud and soft ride not speed and cornering abilities.
I also think this Rincon in no way will be faster and out maneuver my Scrambler.
I think it is sad that Honda will probably have a utility 4 wheeler that in a straight line might out run there 400EX. I guess those 400EX fans will have to wait tell 2004 or 2005

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda FourTrax Rincon