Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is my dealer pulling my leg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped off my Scrammy for service. It has a few repairs needed and one of them is that it would not start using the starter. The pull start works fine.

He said that the battery does not get a sufficiant charge from the charging system. Relating that if the battery was nearly drained that it would take a day of consistant riding to charge it back up.

He said he gets a few in like that. He also said that if it was only set up in a couple of hours the dealer (not the same guy) may not have given it a sufficiant charge.

Does this sound correct? Should i also look into a battery tender? My friend has a Trail Boss and has never had this problem.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2001, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

yes this is a true statement!

If the battrey is fully charged the bikes charging system could handle it, but a poorly charged batt would take quite some time to charge up.

They make a little trikle charger called the batrey buddy that works real good. just plug it in and leave it as long as you want.
This will also exstend your batt life quite a bit.

Old 11-01-2001, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

I'm sure this is more true in the winter if it is sitting for longer periods of time. Thanks! I'll be looking into one.

Old 11-24-2001, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

Finally I am picking up my ATV Saturday. No need to eplain how P.O.'d I am it took this long. As far as the charging problem my dealer said it was the battery. They replaced it.

Somehow they found a mouse nest in my AT housing. Since my bike is under warranty I have not spent too much time looking over it. Is there a way a mouse can enter the AT housing. Also they said the belt had been eaten.

I don't have mice in my house so the mouse must have been in there since I bought it. I would have thought I would have smelt something funny after four months of riding.

Well, I get it back. My dealer wasted almost a month of my warranty. It stinks but at least I get it back.

Old 11-24-2001, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

goofieones,

Oh yes! The PVT makes a dandy place for rodents of all sorts. Why I had some chipmunks several years ago think that the PVT would make a nice place to store acorns. Jeez what a racket it made when I fired it up.

The rodents usually find their way into the PVT via the exhaust air vent. It's just a straight shot down into the PVT after that. Just stick an old sock around it and it won't happen anymore.

Old 11-24-2001, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't owned a polaris yet, although I've owned just about every thing else.
I don't know how you all feel about maintenance, but so far I have been able to obtain letters from manufacturers, that if I or a machanic follow the maintenance guide lines set by the manufacturer, and keep the reciepts, it will not void my warrenty.
I say this on the basis of, if you buy your extended warranties or not, look at how much it cost for ten, thirty or fifty, and one hundred hour preventive maintenance services.
If you add up the price and time it takes for these services you will be shocked.
not to mention, how many poeple out thier go through this pricie, time consuming practice just to find out the dealer or machanic are ediots.
The best way I found to get along with any dealer is to stay away from them.

Old 11-24-2001, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

Yeh, the time it took them to fix the couple of minor problems I had I could have took a small engine repair course and the Polaris Warranty certification. Then I could have fixed the thing my self over and over!

I have not found a 2001 repair manual for my bike. Just the parts list from the Polaris site.

Old 11-26-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

A month for any kind of repairs is terrible. I would be very embarressed to work in a place that allowed that to happen. I feel bad about having a machine for two weeks which happens mainly because of parts problems either on our end or Polaris.

Old 11-26-2001, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

They tried charging me for the work (mouse nest extrication) but they didn't call me first. I'm trying my best not to flame them by name right now. The last three weeks were in the sixties and sunny. I pick it up and it was raining. Then a cold front moved through with more rain which turned my favorite riding spot into a mud hole. With 30 degree wind chills and the mud it pretty much put a damper on the whole experiance.

Maybe I can take them to court for felony withholding of FUN! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]