Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

About how much for a 400L cylinder new??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 12:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about how much a new one runs because I believe mine is not repairable. The cylinder sleeve has a bit of separation on the top of the jug itself. And I believe it's the jug itself that is damaged and not the cylinder sleeve, so I don't think resleeving is the option. I don't want to resleeve it if that isn't going to fix it. So I'm just wondering if I should look into a used one somewhere or just bit the bullet and get a new one if that is possible. But if anyone has an any info on a price, please let me know.

Old 12-03-2001, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

A new cylinder (top end) will run between $300 and $350 new. Contact Rick Ritter at Ritter Cycle Racing (618) 644-3211. He may be able to weld the crack in your cylinde for significantly less money. He welded mine a short time ago and it has ran great. He has repaired many cylinders with cracks in them over the years.

Old 12-03-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

400fnSport,

You should just sell your Polaris and buy a Honda........possibly even a 300EX. I hear those are real good. Kessinger might sell you his cheap.....since it isn't running. Just picking.......Polstar is right.......Rick Ritter at Ritter Cycle Racing would be the guy to call. He might even have something used laying around that he could bore and send you that and a piston to fit it. RCRacing@rittercycle.com is his email address. Rick might be able to answer the question regarding uneven ring wear that you've experienced too. What did the plug and piston look like after you tore it down this last time? Did it look like any melting occured? The way you describe the shut-down made me think it was a lean condition causing the problem. Anyway, let us know what you end up doing. Later,

Waylan

Old 12-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

Still trying to sell that 300ex huh. Sorry, but I actually did the opposite and bought a 95 Sport. The only thing it is lacking is the motor, which is what I need. But the frame is in very good shape. I mean it's an 8 out of 10. So I'm going to put my 98 motor on this one. I pretty much destroyed the left front side on my 98 in Arkansas, because my strut completely bent when the ball joint broke. At first I thought it was just the shock that was bent, but I was wrong. Anyway the reason for the uneven ring wear is because of this separation in the cylinder, because the rings are wearing in the spot the separation is occurring. It's a really small separation, but enough to throw the roundness off. It's really hard to describe, and if I could get my digital camera back, I would show you what I'm talking about. But I would rather just buy a new top end, or find one used than to just repair this one. That way I know it's fixed for sure, because I've been thru $300 dollars in pistons alone. And I'm broke. But when I took it apart, there was a lot of carbon build up on top the piston from where it wasn't burning all the fuel due to low compression. Besides that, the piston looked perfect. But I completely disassembled the motor, and checked all the bearings inside it. Everything inside the motor looked excellent. It actually surprised me, but all I need is to get a new cylinder for it, and I believe it's ready to go. I got to head to work, so if I can get my camera I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Old 12-03-2001, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man on the BAD BOYS form there is a guy selling a HPD race ported cylinder dont know how much he wants for it though

Old 12-03-2001, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

Where is this forum located at??

Old 12-03-2001, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the link. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BAD BOYS