Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in response to scaryfasts entry on dec.5

Woodtickrider, youd be better off buying a 650 praire. In one machine you'll have a wheelie popper and an all out screamer that can blister any terrain. I can tell you this with confidence since I had a 2000 sp500 and dumped it like a bad habit the second I test drove the Kaw650. So put your loyalties aside and use some common sence and try one out for yourself and then try a 700 and you'll be sold. I've got a buddy who just purchased a 700 and it is nice but there is no way in heck that I'd get one, there to sloppy and not nearly as peppy and responsive as the Kawi.

Old 12-07-2001, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

details on my 700 problems;
took the first one back into the dealer because the battery light kept coming on and while they were checking it out it caught on fire . It had a stripped wire that caught the thermostat control on fire...
got a new one and have had problems with it stalling (again and again)...the dealer can't seem to find the problem.
like I said AT FIRST the manufacteror was being helpful but as of recently I can even get them to return my phone calls!

Old 12-10-2001, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

<< This is in response to scaryfasts entry on dec.5

Woodtickrider, youd be better off buying a 650 praire. In one machine you'll have a wheelie popper and an all out screamer that can blister any terrain. I can tell you this with confidence since I had a 2000 sp500 and dumped it like a bad habit the second I test drove the Kaw650. So put your loyalties aside and use some common sence and try one out for yourself and then try a 700 and you'll be sold. I've got a buddy who just purchased a 700 and it is nice but there is no way in heck that I'd get one, there to sloppy and not nearly as peppy and responsive as the Kawi.
>>

Keep in mind, Woddtickrider, that the Kawi is a solid rear axle design, not the IRS of the SP700 or the Grizz 660- it will not be as cushy a ride (perhaps this cushy ride is the &quot;sloppy&quot; LUVINMY650 is referring to?). The Kawi may very well &quot;blister&quot; flat, open terrain BUT I think the only thing it will &quot;blister&quot; is your butt if you get in the real bumpy stuff due to the solid axle. True, the Kawi WILL be &quot;peppy&quot; and probably a &quot;wheelie popper&quot; but IMHO if you are looking for those qualities in a quad you'd probably be better of getting a true sport quad anyways. If you were to rank the &quot;big 3&quot; utility quads I would say that the Kawi is the most &quot;sport&quot; while the SP700 is the most &quot;utility&quot; with the Yamaha Grizzly 660 falling somewhere in between. I guess you really have to deceide what you are looking for in a quad before buying- but don't get any unrealistic delusions that the Kawi is the granddaddy of all quads- it's not (nor do I want to lead you to believe that the SP700 is either!)!

Old 12-10-2001, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

<< details on my 700 problems;
took the first one back into the dealer because the battery light kept coming on and while they were checking it out it caught on fire . It had a stripped wire that caught the thermostat control on fire...
got a new one and have had problems with it stalling (again and again)...the dealer can't seem to find the problem.
like I said AT FIRST the manufacteror was being helpful but as of recently I can even get them to return my phone calls!
>>

Darn, that really sucks! Hope you have better luck in the future!

BTW- Took off my water pump housing on Saturday and put on some Permatex #1 sealer. The leak isn't gone 100% but has been GREATLY reduced. I think it will at least make the quad drivable while my dealer waits on parts to fix it right.

Old 12-10-2001, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I just picked up my 700 this weekend so I don't have a whole of riding time on it yet, but from the little riding I have done, I can honestly say I was truly impressed. It had even more power and handled better than what I had anticipated. I also couldn't ask for a smoother ride. The IRS is amazing and I never realized how much my other four wheelers jerked me around while riding them until I got on the 700. As for any mechanical problems, none yet, but I only have about 5 hours on it.

Old 12-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cant speak on behalf of the 700,but I will tell you this.After owning 2 brand new Polaris 4x4s in the last 3 yrs,I wont be taking a chance on another one.Its like there is allways SOMETHING wrong after each ride.Its back in the shop again today because the front hubs wont hold hub oil [3rd time].The engine on my Xplorer has been bullet proof,wished I could say that for the rest of the quad.Me personally?I would'nt take the chance on ANY new Polaris again for a VERY long time.

Bill

Old 12-11-2001, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

MUDDY4LIFE

Extremely good point man. It was the same way when I had my sp500. I would ride for one day and spend three days in the shop. I recently had a buddy tell me that he loves his &quot;slowaris&quot; even though he's had to dump hundreds of dollars into it just to keep up. The reliability just is'nt there. I've got a 1999 RMK 700 snowmobile from polaris and that doesn't miss a beat, so they should stick with what there good at and just make sleds.
And as for Jack 3689, if the 650 isn't the granddaddy then I'd be interested to know what one is. And to mention which atv is more utility orientated, might I suggest you look at the specks on the 700 and 650 towing capacity. I believe that the 700 has a few pounds extra in towing capacity which is no big deal since it has about 100+ extra pounds over the 650. And the ride is sloppy and I can say that from experience. As far as blistering, the only thing that might get blistered beside the terrain is your 700 by a 650!
And to woodtrickrider, just take the two machines for a ride and you'll bee sold. Do this, find a steep hill and go down it at about 25-30 mph and let off the gas. Then you'll see what good engine braking feels like. My sp500 would almost fling me over the handle bars. The 650 is speed responsive so that it doesnt wind down so fast.
As far as the IRS goes, well just get your checkbook ready to pay for ALL of those extra moving parts. I will admit that the 650 is stiffer but it is'nt so bad that I would buy something with IRS again.So if your a little to weak in the wrists then you might need that cushy ride a n IRS would offer, but there is a whole lot more things to consider than the meager differences in ride that the machines offer. So the decision is yours but I thought you might want the opinion from someone who has owned both brands of atv and still owns a polaris snowsled so I have no brand loyalties, just good and bad experiences.

Old 12-11-2001, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

LUVINMY650,
My Polaris dealer keeps telling me what an improvement the new 700 is over all the other Polaris ATVs.I reminded him that when I went looking for 4x4s in 1998,HE was the one that told me about all of Polaris advantages vs the rest of the 4x4 ATVs.He forgot to inform me that Polaris ATVs spend more time in the shop for repairs than any of the rest.And there re-sale value is VERY low compared to others.

I like alot of the features that a Polaris ATV offers,but them extra features do you NO good while the damn thing is CONSTANTLY in the shop for repairs.I've had it,and would not recommend Polaris ATVs to anyone except my worst enemy.I dont work my a$$ off to spend the wk ends NOT riding my favorite ATV.As it is now,I constantly have to ride the wife's quad.Her ATV has never been in the shop,but than again,its not a Polaris either.

Bill

Old 12-11-2001, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

What kind of 4wheeler does your wife have?

When I was doing my shopping around for my new wheeler I did alot of research on allof the models out there. I even went as far as going to dealers and repair shops and getting a feel for what types of 4wheelers where getting worked on the most. And it was no surprise that the polaris topped the list. The one brand I found to be the toughest where the older hondas. I'll go on record in saying that I think that the toughest 4wheelers made where the 1985-88 honda 4trax 300-350, bulletproof!
My thinking on this is that you go with what you like and make every dollar count, do your homework and you wont be disapointed and stay away from Arctic Cat, these are second to polaris in breakdowns and shoddy enginering. Try the 650 and all will be good in the world!!!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 06:55 PM
Range Rover

I certainly dont know why people are saying that polaris's are always in the shop...........My 500, which i had for 2 years, never went to the shop except for oil changes, and greasing, which eventually I did myself. I rode the thing hard too......my friends who all have 500's experience the same with their's. My 700 has been good too. It runs good and I am pleased with the results. It may have had a minor first year glich but it always ran great and did the job I wanted it to do. The polaris is the leader when it comes to innovation and to own one sometimes you have some down times, but when your on the trail and you need the innovation to get through, you really appreciate it. The benefits out weigh the negative and if you dont like it then buy something else.............be we polaris owners choose to buy this product because overall we feel polaris atv's provide more value and fun than any other atv out there

Quick Reply: Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?