Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walexa, the innards of my engine still looked very good to me. I however lack an internal micrometer so I can't measure the bore, and then the piston to know exactly what the clearances were.
I got the Wiesco piston from Ritter Cycle. I dealt with him, primarily beacuse in past dealings he has always treated me right. He also was willing to send me a cylinder he had honed to match the new piston, and credit me core back on reciept of mine. This way I could do the teardown and rebuild all at once, and not have my engine sitting 'open' waiting for the cylinder to get done.
The piston and cylinder looked healthy to me, no scoring or scuffing, and when you pushed the piston through it's stroke manually, it went very smoothly. I sent the piston back with the cylinder to Rick, along with a note to let me know his opinion on the amount of wear I had left.
The engine was still running strong. Heck, the rings looked 75% or better yet. I just hear stories of the stock piston cracking a piece of the skirt off every now and again (usually between 6 & 8 thousand miles, but some machines used just for running around I have seen with 0ver 10,000) Once spring arrives I use my machine daily, and by the time the 'rush' is over I will likely have 7000 miles, so I didn't want to push my luck too far.
If anyone would be interested, I would be happy to start a new thread detailing the rebuild, what all it involved, cost, etc. As a matter of fact, I might just do that as soon as I hear back from Ritter's so I can comment on the contition of my old piston and cylinder.

Old 12-18-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Farmr123,

Do start a thread on it all. I started one as well, but yours always seem more informative.

I have low mileage on mine, and had already dropped in a std. size wiseco in place of the stocker.......as preventative maintenance. The reason for my teardown was what I considered excessive rattle.

Have you put yours back together yet? With the wiseco, I would definitely allow it warm-up time before getting on it too hard. I believe mine, with the std. wiseco, had suffered a mild cold seizure.......I've heard it called a 4-corner seizure, and that would best describe what happened to mine. It still ran good, but it really rattled alot. After tearing it down, I definitely believe there was too much clearance. I also sent my whole top end to Ritter for examination.....including the piston and head. He's shaving the head, and I'm going to remove the flywheel this afternoon to get it lightened as well.

I haven't been able to find a pipe that will fit mine, and since I ride with 3 guys on Prarie 650's, the need to keep up is strong. They don't just stomp me, but they do steadily pull away. So, I'm trying what I can to improve performance.

Old 12-18-2001, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

Hate to sound stupid, but just what is this "mechanical seal"?

Old 12-18-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for clarifying that Walexa. I do not know anyone who have had the mechanical seal go out...

Jack,
The mechanical seal is the seal that is on the water pump shaft behind the impellor. This applies to the 500s, I am not familiar with the 700 design.

Greg

Old 12-20-2001, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

Well thanks for the interesting reading. I am a new register, and you have all helped me make my decision on my first ATV purchase. In March, I will be getting a Sportsman 700 for me and a Scrambler 400 for my 9 year old. It becomes evident by the high population of competitor product owners that this Sportsman 700 is the envy of the industry and I want in on it. Thanks! I'll let you know more later! - Dave[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2001, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

walexa, do those Prairie guys still let you ride with them? Just wondering since you can't find your way out of the woods, ha ha ha.

Old 12-20-2001, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

DaveRuane
A scram 400 for a 9 year old?
That's a joke right?

Old 12-20-2001, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

The 700 is the envy of the Industry?I doubt that.

After owning an overweight 500cc Sportsman,I switched to the lighter and more nimble 400cc Xplorer.

Keep in mind,there are alot of us that dont want an ATV that has weight characteristics best suited for a Jenny Craig commercial.And this quad is far from being the envy of the industry.There are those of us that like to keep our 4x4s around the 600lb range and still have alot of the features of the of the 700.I think they call this quad a 660 Grizz?

Please be very carefull when selecting an ATV for a 9yr old,especially the powerful Scrambler.

Happy Holidays,
Bill

Old 12-20-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Slinger,

Since our "lost boys" expedition, I have gotten a gps, as well as a gps mount. It really makes a difference.......no more getting lost.

I'm not working out of town any more (at least for a good while I hope), and we still go riding quite a bit. It is only at night now though. That same place we rode on close to where you parked your truck is the place we keep riding. That place is really muddy right now. Some dozers have been cleaning it all up, and that first mudhole you got stuck in isn't there any more.

My bike is torn down right now waiting to be bored and other minor mods. I should be back running by the 4th of January. I think we're going to try to plan a night ride for the 4th. You're invited if you want to go. Give me a call sometime. My email is walexa@meila.com.

Waylan

Old 12-20-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Dave~

<< ...and you have all helped me make my decision on my first ATV purchase. >>

Excellent! There is alot of useful information on these forums

<< I will be getting a Sportsman 700 for me and a Scrambler 400 for my 9 year old. >>

Congratulations! The Sprortmans 700 is a nice quad, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I would, however, seriously reconsider getting a 400 Scrambler for a 9 year old. Do you know what a scrambler is?

<< It becomes evident by the high population of competitor product owners that this Sportsman 700 is the envy of the industry and I want in on it. >>

LOL. You are joking, aren't you? If you want to be picky, the SP700 is being the competitor to the Grizz 660 &amp; Prairie 650...both came first. And for being the envy of the industry, that's certainly an opinion, an erroneous opinion, in my opinion, but nonetheless, an opinion, not to be confused for fact. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Say THAT 5 times fast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Quick Reply: Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?