Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coconut, the way a lot of people by-pass their rev limiter is to just add a jumper wire to complete the circuit that you make when you hold down the over-ride button. On a Polaris, this is easily done inside the headlight pod, and is a neat job. Some of the guys have found that by making their wiring slightly more elaborate, they can by-pass the rev limiter all together, and use the override button for a horn or something. I have the process written down SOMEWHERE, but can't remember where I put it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I have heard of people just zip-tying the button down so it is always overridden.
I have also heard of people by-passing the reverse sensor, so the rev limiter won't kick in. I personally don't recommend this last one, as it will also by-pass your reverse indicator on the dash.

Old 12-16-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Coconut
This should help. Reverse overide/bypass:the how to! Good luck

Old 12-18-2001, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

The reverse over-ride button on the sp700's have multi-functions. It also toggles through the miles/hours/trip/maint/diagnostic funtion on the speedometer. just thought I would mention it.

Old 12-18-2001, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would like know if anyone else has had problems with the 700sp. My gas line was sitting on the engin by anther hose that tor throw the heat shield and coused vaporlock at low speeds or sitting. My dealer said they could not get it to repeat the problem so they sat on it. The manufature when i called didnt do much either.

Old 12-18-2001, 08:56 AM
Range Rover

<< I would like know if anyone else has had problems with the 700sp. My gas line was sitting on the engin by anther hose that tor throw the heat shield and coused vaporlock at low speeds or sitting. My dealer said they could not get it to repeat the problem so they sat on it. The manufature when i called didnt do much either. >>

Only problem I've had with mine is the leaking water pump cover. Seems that a LOT of owners are having that problem. Haven't heard anything about fuel problems though like you describe, except on the new Yamaha Grizz. Perhaps your fuel line wasn't properly tied up out of the way or the heat shield wasn't put on. Can you zip tie the fuel line up and off the engine? You could try getting some of that heat shield stuff too at a local race shop or even from J.C. Whitney if the dealer isn't any help.

Old 12-18-2001, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

<< The reverse over-ride button on the sp700's have multi-functions. It also toggles through the miles/hours/trip/maint/diagnostic funtion on the speedometer. just thought I would mention it. >>

This is very true! I have a feeling that the &quot;old&quot; method of bypassing the rev limiter would cause severe problems on the 700. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Old 12-18-2001, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

We have seemed to have gotten away from the original question here, that being if we are all satisfied with our Sportsman 700s. The only problems I have had is the aforementioned leaking water pump and a defective speedometer. Overall I am quite pleased with my Sportsman 700. I am a little disappointed that Polaris decided to detune it from it's original configuration, which was supposedly scary fast. That would have been just fine with me. I like to be scared and hopefully Polaris will come out with the Sportsman 700 HO.

Old 12-18-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Greg,

I noticed you commented that the 700 has the same poorly designed water pump seal........I don't think people are having problems with the mechanical seal......rather the plastic water pump cover is leaking. You may know of someone who has had the seal go out on a 700, and I'm not defending the 700 by any means........just stating what I understand to be the problem.

I would like to clear up something else too........I prefer Polaris quads for the most part, and feel that the sportsman series are some of the most capable quads made. However, I must add this comment regarding mudding: There was this mudhole on a trail that my group always rode on, and no one had ever made it through. It was that real sticky kind of gumbo mud, and it was real deep. I can't remember if I attempted it before on the sp500........anyway, the day that a couple of our riders got the prarie 650's, one of them tried it. I was 100% positive he wouldn't make it..........most bikes barely get into the hole good before they're stuck. Anyway, the tremendous wheel speed (stock tires) and light weight of the quad (this allowed him to shift weight completely from one side to the other) enabled him to make it out. Sure, we could no longer tell what color the bike was, and we could barely make out the rider..........point is he made it. Would a sp500 make it???? maybe so........I know I sure wasn't about to take my Xplorer in that same hole.

My personal take on it is that I would still get a sp700 over the kawi650, but the kawi650 does put out incredible torque/hp. My next quad will probably be the sp700, but that will probably be a few years off.

Farmr123.......tell us more about your rebuild. Did you simply replace the piston with a new one, or did you get it bored and all? How did your old piston look.......any scuffing or abnormalities? Thanks.

Waylan

Old 12-18-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

walexa,
You are correct. It is the water pump cover that leaks and not the mechanical seal. The cover is made out of plastic which in time warps and therefore the dreaded leak. I have heard that Polaris is working on a permanent solution to this problem.

Old 12-18-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris should make the cover out of aluminum..........heck, what's a few more ounces added to 740 lbs??? Maybe 740 lbs was their weight not to exceed......lol. To me, 740 lbs is heavy, but I would still get the sp700. I just think it is funny to hear other guys complain so heavily (no pun intended) on the weight of the 700.

Quick Reply: Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?