Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD trail mod for Scrambler 400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a RCR stage 1 kit for my scrammy with a HPD trail pipe, Little by little I plan on grtting the individual parts to build up to a full trail mod scrammy. Does anybody know the top speed of a Trail mod scrammy on Pump gas? I do a lot of fast trail riding, and play-drags. Do you think this will satisfy my need for speed? I'm broke now, so I'm not buying any mods soon, but I'm gonna need some stuff eventualy, so If anyone is gonna have stuff for sale, please e-mail me at AmScrambl06@aol.com Thanks!

Old 12-16-2001, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Top speed depends on your clutching, gearing and tire height.
If you added a pipe with out changing your clutching you will still be topped out at the same rpm as stock, so with the stock gearing and stock tires your top speed will be the same.
If you add a clutch kit and increase your rpms, and/or change your gearing, and/or run a taller tire your top speed will go up.
How ever you do it, it will be plenty fast when you are done.
With a short swing arm your biggest problem with the added power will be tipping over backwards if you plan to do any dragging with traction.

Old 12-16-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Adam,

I'm guessing you're trying to match HPD's kit? When I hear "FuLL" trail mod, I see it as more than what HPD offers in their "kit". I've got the trail mod porting but I went w/ the bigger carb (39PWK)....going w/ the coolhead and girdle kit...ditch the airbox all together....and so on.

I've done everything that I possibly can except for shaving the flywheel and still run 93octane. I'll promise you this, it's more than a handful on the tight trails. It's tough to keep the front down, and I've got 4x4. It'll most definantly hang w/ the big boys as long as you dont start flirting w/ "decently modded" Raptors, DS's, and shees......

Be good,

EC

Old 12-17-2001, 01:07 PM
jim
Pro Rider

I have what you are questioning doing & I still run pump gas w/ 12:1 HPD cool head. I wish I would of had spent the little extra & had the race porting & race pipe w/ clutch kit w/pump gas instead of the trail porting & trail pipe because now I have to buy another pipe & pay to have it ported again for race porting. I agree it's fast but I should have done it right the first time & went all the way w/ pump gas. Dont be afriad that it's too fast or you loose bottom end because it's an automatic so you can still putt around or go very fast just by feathering the throttle & brake if needed.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 01-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Okay everyone, I have the spring that The stage 1 kit comes with for clutching, I think It's a Ritter plain spring, Yea. I have the stock sprockets, and gearing. I also have the stock tires and rims, but plan on springing foir Dirt Devils on .190's in the future.

I would ditch my airbox all together, but I go through some shallow streams. And I'd rather not screw up my engine. Would it work If I got a UNI clamp-on style filtercharger, and a water-resistant outerware? Remember I live in texas, And when It does rain, everything's like a big stinky swamp.

Old 01-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Adam search for Azelmo on this fourm look at one of his post and go to his website and click on the link to his page. On his page his bike is HPD trail ported and his wifes bike is ported by RCR. Look at the list of the mods on each bike then watch the videos of the two race. In my opion if only going with a trail setup talk to Rick, easier guy to talk to no certain time of hours to call and and faster turnaround time.

Now people do not think im knocking HPD work, im not i just dont belive that they are the only ones out there.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've definately seen That already, One of the sweetest looking bikes I've seen. I thought his was Race ported though? It has a race pipe, I know. I'll go check right now to make sure.

Old 01-21-2002, 05:23 AM
Pro Rider

Adam Scrambler400,

As to how fast, I can't say. As to what it'll beat, I beat my buddys stock Banshee at the 2000 Cochranton Poker run. I didn't just beat him, I layed the "Smackdown" on him BAD! I beat him off the line AND in top speed. Of course the engine went south shortly after that, but if an engine is going to seize, you might as well seize it beating someone. The problem is now fixed and it is faster than it was.

You might want to start with an aggressive clutch kit from HPD. Add their 39mm PWK carb, Delta reeds and cage, a cool head, and finally porting and a coated Wiseco piston. At some point in time you might want to switch to a roller secondary clutch too.