Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buying Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 04:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been window shopping for an new quad and recently went to my local Polaris dealer to see what he had.
I must say the vast selection of various models really impressed me. The dealer let test all the models I wanted.
Now all I have to do is pick one...lol
What would you guys recommend for an all around PLAY atv?
The Sportsman models really caught my eye.

Old 12-28-2001, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman machines are some of the best riding atv's in the industry. The 500's have really good power. The 400's have enough power but the 700's have the most power.

What concerns me about your post is that you said you wanted a "play" atv. This leaves me to believe that you may be better suited on a Scrambler. I believe the Scrambler was built for the people who wanted a quad to play on. It has a sportier suspension with good wheel travel. Decent ground clearance and still gives you the option of two or four wheel drive at the push of a button.

The Sportsman does have a softer ride but may be a little to heavy for a quad to just play on. I guess it all depends on what your definition of "play" is.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:29 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have a Sportsman and highly reecomend the machine. I trail ride and go mudding and it is perfect. It is very powerful put not a machine for motocross and jumping.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the scrambler 400 4x4, it is the ultimate play atv, no doubt about it, speed, good hanling, nice suspesion, and true on demand AWD, does it get any better? no

Old 12-28-2001, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Icewolf,
you did'nt mention 2wd or 4wd?

Bill

Old 12-28-2001, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< Icewolf,
you did'nt mention 2wd or 4wd?

Bill
>>

I want 4wd and automatic.
By play I mean trail riding, putting around my area on with the g/f.
I don't plan on any serious racing, mudding, etc....just going out and having fun on it.
Might plow my driveway and my parents driveway on it too.

Old 12-28-2001, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Both will work fine for what you want to do.
The only advantage the 500 has over the 400 is a little more speed.
My brother bought a SP 335 when everyone else bought SP500s.
Well, he just traded it in and bought a 500 H.O. cause he couldn't keep up.
Just something to consider.

Old 12-28-2001, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ice Wolf,

So far you really haven't given a reason to have a 4x4. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but I don't think you need one. For plowing snow, a 2x4 with chains will do for all the more snow we get. Yes, you can fit plows to the Scrambler series. If you want a machine to play on, then the 2x4 will suit your needs.

2 wheel drive on a quad doesn't mean the same thing that 2 wheel drive on a car or truck does. I've seen 2WD quads taken places most people wouldn't take their 4x4 trucks.

On a car or truck, 2wd means for the most part that only one wheel drives at any time. On a 4x4 truck or car, for the most part, the only thing you'll get is two wheel drive (one front wheel and one rear wheel) because of the differentials. On a 2WD quad, both wheels drive 100% of the time. On a 4X4 quad you'll get either 3 1/2 wheel drive or on some models (like Polaris) true 4 wheel drive.

If you aren't doing any serious mudding or rock climbing, a 2x4 will suit your needs.

Old 12-28-2001, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yah,
I agree with Mike on the 4x4 issue,however,the ONE time you do get STUCK on your 2wd ATV,you'll be wishing you spent the extra 1000 or so and did buy the 4x4.If you have the extra cash,I'd opt for the 4x4 ATV over the 2wd,especially if you plan on PLOWING snow?The chain thing can get to be a pain in the butt.You wont need chains with a 4x4 ATV.

Because of exstensive reliability issues with my last two 4x4 Polaris ATVs,I'll just keep my mouth shut and let the other readers recommend a Polaris ATV for you.

Best of luck on which ever ATV you ride!

Bill

Old 12-28-2001, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Whoa Ice!!! I see your from Sharon. A little advice, stay away from Thunder. These guys are not in the game. They stock no parts, even oil filters or plugs and they all have the attitude, They sell Harley and I think they think its their duty to be punks. If you want Polaris go up to Street Track and Trail, they sell all the brands and you can compare them all in the same showroom.
I have had a Polaris for 7 years and no problems to speak of.
Remember, stay away from Thunder.

Quick Reply: Buying Polaris