Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need new Tires for Scrambler.... which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002 | 07:07 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey AZ400L, I really appreciate your help, but all my posts, I'm just considering my options. Most of the stuff I post on here I'm just curious about. I'm not getting a HPD race enging. I was just wondering about that stuff. I plan on getting some normal cheap stuff like a DG bumper, some v-force reeds, Renthal bars, a new cool seat cover, and maybe after all that, I might spring for some trail porting and a wiseco piston. I'm 15 years old ( don't let my mom know I told you that) and am very into ATVs. I payed for ALL of my scrambler, with my own money, and pay for all my mods, so I just want to get the best of my money. I just want to get out and have a fun time four-wheeling with my friends. Thanks for your concern.

Old 01-03-2002 | 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to bust your chops, just trying to get you to look at the BIG picture. You definately dont want to be replacing mods with mods down the road if you know what I'm getting at.

Hell, I've gone through 4 pipes, three carbs, 3 port job,s, ect, ect. In retrospect i'd love to have some of that $$ back in my pocket!

Old 01-03-2002 | 07:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey man, I know what you mean. I really wouldn't want to do that, Thanks for the info, and you say you've gone through some of that stuff. Where'd it all go? If you still got anything you may want to get rid of, I'd be interested. Especially if you got an extra chain tensioner laying around. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2002 | 05:18 PM
Range Rover

I've got spidertracs on the rear of my scrambler and I really like them!

Old 01-04-2002 | 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to say go with the Dirt Devils. Thats what I am going to get. The Holeshots are good tires though. And if you put the race motor in it then I would go with those.

Old 01-04-2002 | 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

go with dirt devils, they are the perfect tire for everything you mention, and they are smooth riding and 6 ply and dont wear down

Old 01-05-2002 | 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Im not saying believe everything you read but the Titan 489s usually are rated the best in the all terrain tire shootouts followed by the Dirt Devils. The 489s are also in my opinion one of the best all terrain tires available. You will not see any positive difference going with a Dirt Devil. The Sur-Traks I have heard are also a very good tire but the few people that I know that have run these have had puncture problems in some trail conditions. The Sur-Traks are one of the lightest AT tires I'm pretty sure. You will not get the same hookup in mud with the XCTs as you would get with any of the other tires mentioned. For what its worth I just ordered 589MTs for the rear and 489XTs for the front of my 650. I was so impressed with the 489ATs on my Scrammy that I wanted to try to keep my steering as light as possible but I didnt want to loose my pulling power with weak tires up front. If you dont like your 489s now go with something completely different not the DDs they are to evenly matched with the 489s.

Old 01-05-2002 | 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

You know, I was going to get on here sooner and mention the Titan 489XT's. They are basically the same tires as the stock Titan 489 but the XT's are a 6 ply tire. The tread face is a little more of an open pattern. This makes them a little better in the mud.

One other thing I like about them is the fact the 6 ply tires have stiffer side walls. With the stiffer side walls, you can actually run a little less tire pressure. This of course gives the tread face a flatter profile which in turn equals better traction and tire wear.

One more great feature, they are about the same price as the regular Titan 489's. I have sold a few sets of these to customers and no one has had anything bad to say about these at all. They will be the next tires on my machine, with out a doubt.