Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Size of the axels on the new 700... read this please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading post about how people think the new larger Polaris axels make it more reliable. This is not a bash against Polaris, but I thought I would clarify something... the diameter or the axel has never been the problem. I have never seen a broken axel. The cage in the CV joint breaks usually due to a lift and large tires. the lift pulls the axel out of the race too far and it comes out under the strain of large mud tires and breaks the race.

Anyway, i just wanted to cleare that up. The larger axels just add more unneeded weight.

Greg

Old 01-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Range Rover

i agree///the smaller axles and hubs on the other atvs dont never break..ive had trouble out of everything on my old sportsman..

Old 01-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

BonelLong,
What I posted was a fact. The cage in the CV is the problem. It is the problem with all lifted quads, and they all break. The reason why Polaris CVs break more often when lifted is that it is true 4WD rather than limited slip. The Hondas with lifts and locker break just as often as the Polaris. You stated the axels on the other quads never break... you are incorrect.

Greg

Old 01-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

no doubt that the others break too//they dont have no choice..i thought you was implying info from the polaris site where polaris is compared to the 650 twin and the grizz..where they bragged about having the very heavy duty hubs and axles and the rest was junk..sorry//just misunderstood..how well does polaris cvs hold up in the back when lifted and big mud tires???i put 5000 miles on my 99 sportsman 500 before i sold it and only had to change the upper cvs once..it was because i had a busted boot on both sides....greg give me honest opinion on your rubi vs sportsman..i am going to but another atv soon and i have been thinking about the honda rubi..how do they compare on the ride /brakes/power/steering.i have rode a rubi but never in a bad spot/it was only on blacktop..thanks

Old 01-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

There is nothing new about the size of the cv-joints in the 700.

The 700 has the old USA cv-joint internal parts. The stubshaft is different but it runs the same internal parts as the USA joint. The idea behind running the bigger internal parts is that the bigger parts can handle more angle than the smaller parts can.

Polaris used to run the USA joints in all the bikes. They switched to the BTB joint in the newer bikes. The only bike that was still running the USA joint was the Scrambler. The BTB joint is smaller and breaks easier. It cannot handle the increase in angle from the lift as well as the USA joint.

The rear has the same internal parts as the 500. Again the stubshafts are different but the internal parts are the same.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Why would Polaris switch to weeker CV joints?? I dont understand why they would put weeker,BTB joints on a quad that can make the power that the sp700 does.

is this true?? it just doesent sound right!!

later
jon

Old 01-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

The 700 does not run the BTB joints, it runs the USA joints.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

boneylong,
Once again, both bikes have pros and cons. If you plan on mud riding, the Sportsman is the better bike without question. It has 4WD, more ground clearance and disk brakes as you know. If you want a mountain goat, I would take the Rubicon. It climbs better and the 4 wheel engine braking makes it safer especially for a novice rider.

As far as speed goes, they are almost identical. I remeber racing Texmudders Rubi when my SP was newer and his bike was stock. We were almost always dead even, even with oversized tires.

If you want a comfortable ride, of course, go with the Sportsman. Also, if you want a sportier ride, go with the SP500.

If you want a low maintenance mudder but you are not concerned about brakes, and you are not concerned with having the best mudder out there, the Rubi should work fine for you.

And then finally, what are your dealers like? Which one will take care of you down the road.

Greg