Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 wins ATV of the YEar

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vegasdude, I'm not whining pal. What is this forum for? People to give other people their opinions. I honestly do not think that the Sportsman should've gotten picked as the "ATV of the Year". Granted, it has lots of power, and good suspension, but out of the "big bore 4x4'x" it is the slowest even though it has the biggest motor. Polaris needs to wake up, and utilize the smaller bore, and better engine design. Everyone knows that pushrods are not up to the level of SOHC, much less DOHC. All in all, I'd love to have a Sportsman 700. I love my Sportsman 500, and I'm sure the 700 is even better. But I just dont think that it should've gotten this award. But I guess its like 250rampage said, they give ATV of the Year to a 4x4, but the big ones(century and decade), the nods to go the high performance.

Old 02-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Why is it that every body thinks push rods are low tech nascar,nhra and most other motor sports use them and last time i checked there is no low tech parts in them you have roller rockers little or no friction there cam is lower in motor and stronger then in the head.and cooler too so i hope just because it isn't over head cam we don't throw low tech at it.

Old 02-01-2002, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I guess that is what happens when people believe what the Mags say. They say the 700 is "low tech". So when people don't know much about motors, they believe what the Mags say. On the other hand the same Mags will call the Honda motor "proven" "reliable" when they use a low tech push rod engine. It's just another way for people to bash Polaris that don't know anything about them.

Old 02-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I don't know much about motors, so I won't get into that one. Everyone keeps saying that ATV of the Year goes to the most innovative quad and when I proved that the Cannondale IS the most innovative (You can atleast give me that one) everyone starts saying, "Well, more people like the Sportsman and more people will buy it." If ATV of the Year was a competition for which quad sells the most, than it should go to the Honda 300 4x4. Everyone and their dog has one, so I guess since EVERYBODY buys a Honda 300, that should make IT the ATV of the Year. If ATV of the Year actually is decided by innovation, than Cannondale has the polaris beat. I'm EXTREMELY happy with my ride and I hope all of you are just as happy with yours. I'm not whining but mearly stating that the person that chose ATV of the Year must have been atleast a little cracked out. But I won't listen to the mags since they usually don't have a lot of good things to say about a certain company if they aren't getting enough money from them (that wasn't saying anything about Polaris. I'll give you a hint of who I'm talking about. The name starts with a Y and ends with a A.M.A.H.A. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

P.S. I have fixed up my web page a little. Check it out here, and let me know what you guys think. Sign my guestbook to let me know you were there.

Old 02-02-2002, 03:00 AM
Range Rover
Old 02-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

YoDaddy

It's not just innovation that makes the winner, it's ATV manufacturers to build a machine that best combines three qualities: Innovation, Industry Influence, Consumer Interest. Do that, and they get the ATV of the Year award.

Old 02-03-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

vegasdud, you're sounding a little like Rodney Dangerfield. Sounds like it's you that's doing the whining.

Old 02-03-2002, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Well....I'm not going to get to much into this arguement. Who out there wouldnt be happy with any of these quads? Isnt it great to be able to argue this point. I'd like to remind everyone that most of us choose a quad based upon location, riding environment, finances and personal experience. If I lived in the desert I believe I would own a sport quad. If I'm in Canada I think something 4wd would be my choice, I think you all get the idea. Now before anyone starts Im sure there are those in Arizona that have 4x4s and a number of sport quads in Canada. I'm only making a generalization.

I really think Polaris makes great quads, I would never get rid of my Scrambler. I dont like IRS so when I wanted a quad that could do more "work" than my Scrambler I went with my 650. Everybody gets so tuned in to thinking that just because you like IRS or you like speed that you cant see that there are many different likes and wants in an ATV. I have a preference of solid axle over IRS. That doesnt lead me to believe that the Griz or the 700 arent good quads. Those particular quads just arent what I want. Any quad can be out done on any given day by another quad, it happens.

For whatever reason the 700 was choosen to be called ATV of the year I say Congratulations to who ever that makes happy. For everybody else that feels slighted maybe you arent comfortable with the decision you made with your quad. I have no less of an opinion of my 650 than before this article was printed or have I ever felt wronged that my Scrambler wasnt ATV of the year.

I did see the poll that was running at ATV news and that the 650 was ahead by something like 38% to 27% against the 700 when they took the poll down. The Griz was back around 20% but Im sure most of the 660 owners arent standing in line to get a 650 or 700, it was just a poll and the article was just an opinion.

Be happy there is so much to argue about.

Old 02-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

Slinger, what? sounds like I'm whining? I sound like Rodney Dangerfield? What drugs are you on? The 700 needs to be put on a weight loss program..........? I tell you what go and design a atv in the same class as a 700 and lets see what you can come up with. Until then keep your drivel to yourself..............if this upsets you go and let your babysitter hug you and make it all better............ Oh and measuring the ground clearance from the lowest point on the quad as you indicated, well I measured under the tires and I go 0 ground clearance..........you need to rethink and restate your observation............... and no matter how you measure, the 700 still has alot more clearance than the 650..........also they put steering in these things whick allows you to chose how you drive over objects.......just drive over them where you have the most clearance. When you actually buy an atv and ride it for 10 years or so come back and feel free to post up some info...............

Old 02-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I like Minute Maid apple juice better than Dole or Tropicana, even though Tropicana's apple juice has a "New and Improved Taste".

Quick Reply: 700 wins ATV of the YEar